Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

'Westin Workout' Rooms : guestroom with a treadmill or a stationary bike

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2008, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Skymiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Priority Club, Hhonors

I stay at the ATL Peachtree Westin quite a bit. Just had one of these workout rooms and would like to stay in one again if reasonably priced. The hotel clerk mentioned that the workout rooms all sell out far in advance.

I was wondering if the Westin Workout rooms are in such high demand in other places. Never requested one before and I'm wondering if this is something I need to start checking into. The problem is, most of my reservations are last-minute.

FYI: In my opinion, I'd pay up to $49 more for this type of room.
Old Mar 13, 2008, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA Silver SPG Lifetime Gold
Can you please describe the room>
Old Mar 13, 2008, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
I'm a bit surprised I must say.

I guess as a Plat, I'd just go to the gym since it's free for me. Actually, many properties have free gym facilities (all Ws). It doesn't make sense for me to work out in my room and make it steamy

I know that work out rooms are generally on lower floors. So, that alone, is a big no no for me.
Old Mar 13, 2008, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Skymiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Priority Club, Hhonors
Regular King Room, but the large corner chair/loveseat was removed. In its place sat a small exercycle and a dumbell cart with rubber rope, inflated exercise ball, and a small medicine ball. Also, there was an additional TV with DVD player for watching workout tapes. (The desk that normally sits toward the middle of the room was pushed in a corner.)
Old Mar 13, 2008, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Originally Posted by chrisinacton
Can you please describe the room>
Work out rooms have a cardio machine (treadmill, elliptical, bike, etc), ropes, some weights, a ball, DVD player, free water (some), and some DVDs and CDs.
Old Mar 13, 2008, 2:17 pm

Programs: AA PLT (MM), UA 1K, Marriott Ti, IHG Diamond
Guess it depends on how you define a "Workout"...

Cardio machines and swiss balls have no place in my workout routine
Old Mar 13, 2008, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BlissWorld
I'm a bit surprised I must say.

I guess as a Plat, I'd just go to the gym since it's free for me. Actually, many properties have free gym facilities (all Ws). It doesn't make sense for me to work out in my room and make it steamy

I know that work out rooms are generally on lower floors. So, that alone, is a big no no for me.
Three benefits over the free gym thing for me:
1) I don't have to pack workout clothes or tennis shoes.
2) The gym in the peachtree means a long elevator ride and walk in both directions...it's not real quick.
3) If I'm staring at weights, I generally lift them. So I might get a workout in when I otherwise wouldn't bother with the gym.
Old Mar 13, 2008, 2:40 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
I thought about the Workout rooms. I really need it. But the thought of the stench of sweat the whole time I am in my room made me rethink.
Old Mar 13, 2008, 3:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by bigdel1
Three benefits over the free gym thing for me:
1) I don't have to pack workout clothes or tennis shoes.
2) The gym in the peachtree means a long elevator ride and walk in both directions...it's not real quick.
3) If I'm staring at weights, I generally lift them. So I might get a workout in when I otherwise wouldn't bother with the gym.
What do you mean you dont have to pack workout clothes? Do you workout in the nude?

The gym is inside the building and the elevator ride to 8 is not that bad. Come on, don't be a lazy bones! It's not like your physically leaving the building. That is one of the better gyms in the starwood family.

Now, if you said you wanted a workout room at the Sheraton Atlanta, I would agree as that that property's gym is a candidate for the "worst damn gym" in the starwood family.
Old Mar 13, 2008, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cheap Elite
What do you mean you dont have to pack workout clothes? Do you workout in the nude?
Well, not nude, but boxers, barefeet and t-shirt might look funny in the gym. Avoiding bringing tennis shoes, socks, shorts means the difference between a full briefcase and having to tote a rolling carryon when I'm leaving for a one night trip.

You are right on the lazybones thing, but I have to be honest with myself and admit that I often fall victim to inertia.
Old Apr 5, 2008, 6:06 am

Programs: SPG, Marriott, Priority Club
Westin Workout rooms worth it?

We're staying at the Westin Our Lucaya Resort in Grand Bahamas. The reviews are mixed to say the least. I was able to book a Westin workout room w/ breakfast for just a little bit more than our regular rate. Has anyone stayed in one of these? I love to workout, but I'm not sure about having a treadmill in the room. Are the rooms bigger to accommodate the treadmill? Thanks for the info.!

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Apr 5, 2008 at 10:14 am Reason: merged unedited into existing thread on topic.
Old Apr 5, 2008, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
Originally Posted by mehh
We're staying at the Westin Our Lucaya Resort in Grand Bahamas. The reviews are mixed to say the least. I was able to book a Westin workout room w/ breakfast for just a little bit more than our regular rate. Has anyone stayed in one of these? I love to workout, but I'm not sure about having a treadmill in the room. Are the rooms bigger to accommodate the treadmill? Thanks for the info.!
I stayed in a workout room at the Westin PIT once (and only once). It was a big suite, with a stepper, some weights, a mat, and some other junk.

There is also a huge gym (with a pool) in the hotel.

I was upgraded to it (in lieu of a suite). Why on earth anyone would book one of these on purpose is beyond me. (Given the extra $$$).

But like I said, this one was a big suite, so...
Old Apr 5, 2008, 5:14 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
Westin Taipei

I upgraded to a Westin Workout room at the Westin Taipei a couple months ago (full details in the comments section below this review: http://www.starwoodlobby.com/archive...in_taipei.html ). It was essentially a junior suite with couch, sitting chair and desk and then a large treadmill in the middle of the room. They had a bunch of workout DVDs, small free weights, medicine ball and fitness ball, among other things in the room.

I actually found it quite handy to workout right when I got up so I didn't have to worry about appearances trekking to/from gym in the hotel before breakfast. It was easy to flip through channels on the TV, manage the volume, etc. The only wierd thing was that since the treadmill was raised off the ground, my head wasn't too far from the ceiling, so it did seem a bit clausterphobic!

But otherwise it was a great experience and made working out a lot more convenient.
Old Apr 5, 2008, 5:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3MM Lifetime, AA PlatPro,Marriott Titanium Elite Lifetime, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by JohnnyP
... my head wasn't too far from the ceiling, so it did seem a bit clausterphobic!
I had the same experience when I tried a Hilton workout room at O'Hare. I couldn't adjust to feeling of being so close to the ceiling (and confined to the size of a normal guest room). I ended my run earlier than normal and have used the health clubs ever since.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 11:38 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Silver, *Wood Gold, Marriott Silver
Hard to get!

I was on a project where we all stayed at the Westin in Northbrook, IL. I think the hotel had 2 workout rooms. In a year of weekly stays, amongst the four of us, we collectively only managed to get a workout room ONCE.

And no, I would not pay extra for it, I would just suck it up and go to the gym.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.