Search

Dongguan Sheraton [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2007, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: La Ministreuse de Surréalisme, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat
Arrow Dongguan Sheraton [Master Thread]

I'm making my first stay at the Sheraton Dongguan in over a year and the service in the executive lounge has declined over my previous stay.

I went for breakfast this morning and there were approximately 4 tables with people; the others were dirty. I asked if one could be cleaned - 10 minutes later it still wasn't done so I took some clean off of a dirty table and did my own. I asked for orange juice three times before I received; asked for tea twice before I received. I called the guest manager and she said well they are busy in the morning and I advised there were only 4 tables. I also advised I did not receive my platinum amenity.

This will be my last stay here - fortunately I am headed back to the Xiamen Sheraton tomorrow where the service throughout the entire hotel is flawless.
Old Dec 9, 2007, 10:52 pm

Programs: BA/A3 Gold/SPG Plat
in Asia region, try to make a call to 800-810-3988 (if your location in South of China) and asking the REP to get the customer service REP to handle you case. But I will personally write a former letter (not email, I mean paper) to hotel general manager and make a copy to regional office and SPG head office.

I did it before with Peninsula Hong Kong / Bangkok and Regal Kowloon, Peninsula Hong Kong offered a complimentary upgrade to Suite (regardless the original room type I book), Peninsula Bangkok offered complimentary round-trip airport limousine transfer by Benz, plus upgrade to Grand Deluxe Suite, a nice compensation

But Regal Kowloon, just sent a apologize letter from local hotel manager, he even did not sign the letter by himself, by printed signature. Maybe there's something more important than to take care the feedbacks from customer.
Old Dec 10, 2007, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MattTaiwan
in Asia region, try to make a call to 800-810-3988 (if your location in South of China) and asking the REP to get the customer service REP to handle you case. But I will personally write a former letter (not email, I mean paper) to hotel general manager and make a copy to regional office and SPG head office.

I did it before with Peninsula Hong Kong / Bangkok and Regal Kowloon, Peninsula Hong Kong offered a complimentary upgrade to Suite (regardless the original room type I book), Peninsula Bangkok offered complimentary round-trip airport limousine transfer by Benz, plus upgrade to Grand Deluxe Suite, a nice compensation

But Regal Kowloon, just sent a apologize letter from local hotel manager, he even did not sign the letter by himself, by printed signature. Maybe there's something more important than to take care the feedbacks from customer.
Thank you; I appreciate it. I went to the executive club this evening and within about five minutes, the guest service manager showed up. She said there was no excuse about what had happened and did I receive her apology note (I had) and she was very pleasant. Needless to say, my service this evening was quite good. My room was freezing and it took two calls to get that resolved, but I'm fine. The Italian restaurant was wonderful and the manager there told the waitress the champagne was not right and to open a fresh bottle - good attention to detail there (the risotto was divine).

I think I have become so used to the service at the Xiamen Sheraton, that I hold that to the standard in China. There are some other SPG options in the general area I'll try next time.
Old Dec 10, 2007, 5:55 am

Programs: BA/A3 Gold/SPG Plat
Originally Posted by baglady
Thank you; I appreciate it. I went to the executive club this evening and within about five minutes, the guest service manager showed up. She said there was no excuse about what had happened and did I receive her apology note (I had) and she was very pleasant. Needless to say, my service this evening was quite good. My room was freezing and it took two calls to get that resolved, but I'm fine. The Italian restaurant was wonderful and the manager there told the waitress the champagne was not right and to open a fresh bottle - good attention to detail there (the risotto was divine).

I think I have become so used to the service at the Xiamen Sheraton, that I hold that to the standard in China. There are some other SPG options in the general area I'll try next time.
Good to see you got nice responds from hotel guest service manager, cheers in this holiday season!
Old Dec 10, 2007, 5:55 am

Just was there last month. Evening service was quite poor, but morning service was great.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 2:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SaigonCyclo
Just was there last month. Evening service was quite poor, but morning service was great.
Had poor breakfast service again this a.m. Called twice to fix the temp in my room; never did get fixed. Am on my way to Xiamen so it was two nights; there are certainly bigger issues
Old Feb 10, 2010, 12:04 pm

Programs: CX GR; AA Life GLD, EXP; SPG Life GLD, PLT
General and Issue with Club Lounge

Just stayed last week for a break from work.

1. Hotel cannot find my booking via Name, SPG Number and Confirmation Number and after checking in and out for 15-20mins. He offered to check me in using the same rate per my booking printout (luckily I print it out this time, normally don't).

2. UG to Deluxe Room (i.e. higher floor) plus Club access as Plat Member.

3. Morning BF at Lounge is OK per lounge std. Cold Cut, 2-3 hot items, extensive bakery. I LOVE that they offered make to order egg items, very nice. The service is good.

4. The Lobby and Room Decor is similar to Shenzhen Futian Sheraton, dark wooden and marble bath.

5. Hotel location is good! if you travel from SZ/HK, the bus's first stop from HK/SZ is the hotel so when you go back to HK/SZ it is the last ^ it cost HK/RMB100 oneway to/from HK city.

6. Opposite to hotel is a long shopping street but mainly cheap local clothings and shoes. some nice Chinese restaurant and fastfood. I had very nice rice noodle for...RMB$8 only!!!

7. The Foot Massge center in hotel is very nice but for a price more than double than typ local one but certainly it worth it!

8. The only issue for me: When I check it (at 10pm) the clerk said tonight's Happy Hour at lounge is over but I can use it tmr (i.e. after my check out at 4pm). My bus scheduled at 8pm so I give it a try. after sit down and have a Soda the lady informed me that since I checked out already I should not be using the lounge. They are OK if I go and get a drink at checkout time but not for happy hour.

I did the same at many Westin without issue and this is the first time. Perhaps she is right (since technically once checked out I am not longer staying hotel guest, but past experience and the frontdesk staff said otherwise).

all in all... OK, but not Great.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 8:07 pm

5. Hotel location is good! if you travel from SZ/HK, the bus's first stop from HK/SZ is the hotel so when you go back to HK/SZ it is the last ^ it cost HK/RMB100 oneway to/from HK city.
hello :
could you give me directions on where the bus picks up from hk? or provide link to bus website?
i usually take a private car from the airport to the Regal Palace from hk airport, which is a couple of blocks from the sheraton. The private car is super expensive, trying to find alternative to this. thansk
Old Feb 10, 2010, 9:05 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, SQ Blue, OZ Diamond, JAVA and occasionally C
Originally Posted by reggie108
hello :
could you give me directions on where the bus picks up from hk? or provide link to bus website?
i usually take a private car from the airport to the Regal Palace from hk airport, which is a couple of blocks from the sheraton. The private car is super expensive, trying to find alternative to this. thansk
Although you can find more information at the Hong Kong subforum I will attempt to help.

After you exit from HKIA immigrations and clear the customs there will be some counters selling either bus or limousine tickets next to a counter that sells MTR tickets. So you can choose from either a 7-seater MPV or regular tour coach. You should be able to buy either single or round trip tickets to most locations in SZ. If you intend to return get the round trip as they are cheaper.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 8:52 pm

ok thanks
in your post you had quoted from hk city. But you are giving directions from the airport, i am familiar with the airport route.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 9:54 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, SQ Blue, OZ Diamond, JAVA and occasionally C
Originally Posted by reggie108
ok thanks
in your post you had quoted from hk city. But you are giving directions from the airport, i am familiar with the airport route.
My bad you didn't specify which part of HK I assumed the airport. I do not know of any direct coach service from HK island to SZ. There are bus services but since it stops at several stops along the way the time taken will be very long. The fastest way I know of is to take the MTR to Luohu station and then the Shenzhen metro to whichever stop you want to go.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 10:56 am

Programs: CX GR; AA Life GLD, EXP; SPG Life GLD, PLT
Hi!
I hope this is useful to you. However, I don't know how well the staff in communicating in English (as this bus mainly used by mainland China or Hong Kong people), and personally I have quite bad experience in communicating in English outside hotel in mainland anyway.

http://ctsbus.hkcts.com/routes/hk/hk_dongguan.html

You need to change bus after crossing the boarder and depends on schedule there will be some 30mins or so waiting on the bus. But if you gonna stay in Sheraton, it is the first stop HK->DG and the last stop from DG->HK, so very convenient.

$100/OW or $150/RT HKD.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 2:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, HH Silver
Decent stay

This is my first stay at the Sheraton Donnguan; it was a last minute plan change and I didn't really know what to expect. Pleasantly surprised though; no major issues, check-in went well although upgrades weren't available (local convention apparently).

When I got to the (standard) room, it was actually quite large; nothing amazing, but more than adequate (bed, desk, small sitting area, etc.) Lounge was fine; about standard for Sheraton in Asia - plenty of room, average food/drink selection (3 "hot" items, cheeses, small sandwiches, selection of tiny desserts, beer, wine, liquor).

Staff (reception/concierge/lounge) were pleasant and willing to help answer my questions, etc. English skills weren't great, but a heck of a lot better than my Mandarin.

Overall, no major issues. I'm happy enough with the property that I'll put it in the regular rotation.

For those discussing travel to/from the hotel; I gather the Humen ferry port (mostly ferries to/from HK airport) is ~30 minutes away by cab. I plan to take the CTS bus to HKIA, however. Should be ~2.5 hours (although I gather the border crossing wait is adding 30+ minutes to that) and hopefully mostly painless as it's door-to-door from the hotel.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 2:20 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, HH Silver
As a follow-up; the property continues to meet expectations. No major room upgrades other than to Executive Floor, but the rooms are fine. I'm not a big fan of the exercise facilities (although the outdoor pool is fine) for those that care about those things.

An update on travel to/from the hotel; As others mention, using the CTS bus to/from HKG is pretty painless. It is now RMB180 each way, but mostly hassle-free. (For those that haven't done it, it involves bus-immigration-bus-immigration-bus, but they CTS employees are pretty good at making sure you end up at the right place. Do make sure you wear your little sticker though <grin>.)

Overall I continue to be pleased with this property. It isn't my favorite, but when I'm in Dongguan it is my first choice. And the price are still very reasonable.
Old Oct 2, 2011, 9:11 am
GB

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton GLD
I've been staying here for many years but the hotel is in need of an upgrade. Rooms are very dark and getting worn. The club still has the same food and for breakfast just leaves things out until they start to ripen. Service is OK but Food and Beverage is still the same with very few freshenings or updates.
I saw construction just down the road of "Asia's biggest Hilton" going up which should provide some nice Western competition to the Sheraton. Hopefully this is a cue for them to update their property.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.