Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Eating healthy through Starwood room service, hard!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2007, 6:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: US Plat, SPG Plat

I have the hardest time eating healthy via room service. i've been splitting my time this year between Hilton and Starwood and Hilton has a "eat right/smart" program with fat/cal breakdowns for portions of their menu.

My biggest gripe is that I can't get egg whites with no fat (like use Pam instead of oil). Is it that hard? Anyone find/eat any healthy standards via room service? I try to avoid it, but i almost always use it for breakfast and dinner if i get in really late. My standby is grilled chicken on whole wheat...but that gets awfully boring.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 6:58 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, SPG Platinum / Ambassador / Lifetime Gold, Avis FIRST
It depends more on the hotel and its specific restaurant than *wood as a whole.

Regardless, most hotels are very willing to do substitutions. Egg whites only, no cheese/mayo, wheat instead of white, salad instead of fries ... I've asked for and received it all at many many *wood hotels. Though at first glance most menus are full of crap, you can always find a way to substitute some dishes so they become healthy.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Originally Posted by amy45888
I have the hardest time eating healthy via room service. i've been splitting my time this year between Hilton and Starwood and Hilton has a "eat right/smart" program with fat/cal breakdowns for portions of their menu.

My biggest gripe is that I can't get egg whites with no fat (like use Pam instead of oil). Is it that hard? Anyone find/eat any healthy standards via room service? I try to avoid it, but i almost always use it for breakfast and dinner if i get in really late. My standby is grilled chicken on whole wheat...but that gets awfully boring.
Westin has a entire healthy low fat menu (including protein smoothies) at most properties. @:-)
Old Nov 28, 2007, 11:12 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG GLD, PC PLT SPIRE

For breakfast I order hard boiled eggs and just don't eat the yolks. For dinner, I just order the grilled chicken/fish, plain, with toppings or sauces on the side.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 12:03 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Southwest A-List Preferred
Originally Posted by BlissWorld
Westin has a entire healthy low fat menu (including protein smoothies) at most properties. @:-)
How is it possible that I've overlooked this? 45 nights so far this and I always struggle for healthy options!!!

Hopefully tonight I'll be able to get a healthy smoothie!
Old Nov 28, 2007, 3:21 pm

like use Pam instead of oil
Isn't Pam oil plus a bunch of chemicals in a spray can?
Old Nov 28, 2007, 5:14 pm

Programs: UA Premier Exec, SPG Gold
At the Westin Boston next to the convention center a few weeks back I asked to substitute fruit for the breakfast meat and she said it wasn't possible - i was surprised, usually no problem to do that at most places. Not a big deal, just annoying when you're paying $30 for breakfast...
Old Nov 28, 2007, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jacksonSFO
At the Westin Boston next to the convention center a few weeks back I asked to substitute fruit for the breakfast meat and she said it wasn't possible - i was surprised, usually no problem to do that at most places. Not a big deal, just annoying when you're paying $30 for breakfast...
Meat is OK, take canadian bacon. What you should have substituted was the bread and muffins...those are the high calorie killers....switch them for fruit
Old Nov 28, 2007, 8:30 pm

Programs: HH Gold, PC Platinum, SPG Platinum, AM Gold, Avis First
Originally Posted by BlissWorld
The last three Westins I've been to don't have this ontheir normal room service menu-do you need to ask for this? Is there a thread listing the ones that have these? Would love if this was available in the future....
Old Nov 28, 2007, 9:15 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the thoughts everyone! the hard boiled eggs is brilliant. I used to get them poached hard, and not eat the yolk...but some of the places poach in vinegar which i think is really yuck.

I stay in westins all the time and i have never seen the healthy menu? as with PP, am I supposed to request it?

I don't like hotel fruit, unless it's in season, i just find the canteloupe/melon combo unappealing.

Yes, Pam is chemicals in a can..but it's fat free and like 7 cals to coat a pan, which is a lot different than the butter/oil combo they usually use.

I'm up for more healthy room service dining tips if people have more!
Old Nov 28, 2007, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hmmm, the last couple of Westin I stayed had the superfoods menu...

here's a sample menu
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/Media/...dable_menu.pdf

if you go to page 3, that's where the more healthy options are

i guess it's at participating Westins only:
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/promot...PERFOODS_props
Old Nov 29, 2007, 6:18 am
Original Poster

Bliss,

that menu is a huge step in the right direction! still would be nice to have a cals/fat/prot breakdown. I wonder why it is so selectively offered? maybe it's a pilot program at some westins to test the market? I don't think i've ever stayd at those hotels before, but i'll have to remember if i'm traveling in that area.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.