Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Guangzhou, China [Master Thread]

Westin Guangzhou, China [Master Thread]

Old Jun 2, 2005, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: US Chairman's Preferred, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*
Arrow Westin Guangzhou, China [Master Thread]

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/050602/25447.html?.v=1

Press Release Source: Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc

Starwood Expands the Westin Brand in China with Signing of the Westin Guangzhou
Thursday June 2, 10:00 am ET
Westin Brand Continues Its Expansion In Asia - Hotel Set To Open In Guangzhou's Emerging Central Business District in 2007

WHITE PLAINS, N.Y.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--June 2, 2005--Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc (NYSE: HOT - News) and Guangzhou Cheng Jian Tian Yu Real Estate Development Company Limited, a subsidiary of Poly (Hong Kong) Investments Limited, announced an agreement for Starwood to manage a 400-room hotel in Guangzhou's emerging central business district. Scheduled to open in 2007, The Westin Guangzhou hotel strengthens Starwood's position as the largest international operator of upscale hotels in China with 34 hotels open or under construction.

Guangzhou is the capital city of Guangdong Province and the region's political, economic, scientific, educational and cultural center. The city is located in the heart of the Pearl River Delta, one of the most economically dynamic and flourishing areas in China, approximately 113 miles from Hong Kong. With a 2,000 year history, Guangzhou is regarded as the "City of Flowers" of China and offers visitors extensive and varied sightseeing experiences - from thousand year-old temples to natural landscapes such as Mount Baiyun Scenic Belt and Conghua Hot Spring.

The Westin Guangzhou will be a short, five-minute walk from the Guangzhou East train station, which is the major access point for commuters between the city and Hong Kong and will be situated in close proximity to the CITIC Plaza Development, which houses the majority of Fortune 500 companies in Guangzhou. The hotel is part of a multi-purpose complex that houses the hotel in one tower and office space and luxury retail shops in another. The Westin Guangzhou will feature 13,000 square feet of meeting and function space, four food and beverage outlets, a health club and spa and an indoor swimming pool.

"We are thrilled that Westin has been selected for this much sought after development opportunity in an emerging business and financial market such as Guangzhou," said Miguel Ko, President of Starwood Hotels & Resorts, Asia Pacific. "China's fast-growing travel sector, including business and leisure travel and the meetings industry, has raised the demand, from both national and international travelers, for upscale and international hotel products and services."

The Westin Guangzhou hotel marks another major step in Starwood Hotels & Resorts' fast-track expansion in China. This is the fifth development in China signed by Starwood in 2005 alone. New developments signed earlier this year include Sheraton hotels in Chongqing, Shanghai and Urumqi as well as a new Westin hotel in Nanjing. The signing of The Westin Guangzhou also heralds the continued expansion of Westin Hotels & Resorts in China. The Westin Guangzhou Hotel will join The Westin Shanghai, The Westin Beijing - Financial Street and The Westin Nanjing as the fourth Westin hotel in mainland China. The Westin Beijing - Financial Street and The Westin Nanjing are slated to open in 2006 and 2009, respectively.

Source: Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc
Old Jun 3, 2005, 11:07 am

This is good news as GZ has not been well represented by US Hotel chains.

The quality of my formerly favorite hotel--the White Swan Hotel-- has fallen tremendously since management changes, and is no longer on my hotel stay list.

Too bad the location of the GZ Westin is in the rather remote Eastern District, but it will be at least close to the Guangzhou East Railway station and the terminal of Metro Line 1.
Old Jun 8, 2007, 10:16 pm

Westin Guangzhou Trip Report

Just finished a stay at the Westin Guangzhou. This is probably the newest property in Guangzhou for now. The location is close to the Guangzhou East railway station, so could provide easy connection to Hong Kong.

Upon check-in, was greeted by 2 staff and a manager. They immediately apologized for not being able to upgrade me to a suite as a platinum member as all suites were sold out. However, they assured me that they are upgrading me to a large room.

I was assigned a room on the 35th floor and the room is huge with high ceiling and hardwood floor, this room is almost as large as some suites of other Starwood properties. The room featured a plasma TV that swivel between the bedroom and the living area. The living area has a small dining table which contained fruit and dessert and a sitting area with sofa with coffee table. The management took pride in informing me that my room also came with a massage chair, which is in the living area. The chair came in quite handy after the long day.

The bathroom has a separate shower & bath area. The big drawback is that in an effort to make the design more "efficient" the shower area and the toilet are built next to each other and shares a sliding door between the two. So after the shower, there was overflow of water that went next door to the toilet floor.

The Club room is on the 38th floor, and I was the only guest there for breakfast. There were 4 attendants to cater to my whim. It had a decent spread with an omelet station. The attendants were super attentive and discouraged me from getting out of my chair by asking me to order the food through them. They also efficiently processed my check-out while I was having my breakfast.

I would go back to this hotel again for my next trip.
Old Jun 13, 2007, 4:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Thanks for the report. I might try this hotel soon. Can you tell me how far it is from the airport (CAN)?

I will probably take the train up from Hong Kong, then fly to my next destination from CAN.
Old Jun 14, 2007, 7:49 am

Depending on traffic would say about 45 minutes from the airport.
Old Jan 20, 2008, 9:32 am

Stay there recently. Improvement have been made to stop water from overflowing into the toilet area by adding a piece of marble strip on the toilet floor.
Old Jan 20, 2008, 9:36 am

Programs: SPG & CO Plat.
Tourist location?

Thinking of CAN for summer trip - how would you rate location for touristy activities? Shopping? Cultural? Worth a points-only stay?

Thanks for your report.

Safe travels!
Old Jan 21, 2008, 8:21 pm

The location is great. As the hotel website said its only 5 minutes walk from Guangzhou East Train Station. The hotel also provide free shuttle bus to and from the train station. If you like to walk then go down to the metro station right underneath the train station, pass thro' the shopping mall, go up to ground level again, cross the road on the left side, move forward in the direction of the CITIC PLAZA (highest building in Guangzhou) and Westin is just a block away. A new metro station (line 3) just behind the CITIC PLAZA was opened last October. A Japanese department store, JUSCO, is only a stop away from this station.

Platinum members will be checked in at the Club Lounge on 39th floor. You will have free breakfast at the Lounge or the Restaurant down stairs. Light snack is provided from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. I think beer is provided all day, at least from noon onwards. Bear glass is stock in the fridge.

As this is only a Cat 3 hotel I think its good value for points-only or Cash and Points stay. If you want to pay, pay for Friday, Saturday or Sunday stay as it is always 10 to 20 percent cheaper and a better change of upgrading to a Renewal Room which include an Osim Massage Chair. Upgrade to a suite is rare as you seldom see it on sale at the hotel website. HSIA is charged for Deluxe Rooms, others are free. That means if you are upgraded, HSIA is free.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 10:48 pm

Programs: UA 1P, F9 Ascent, SPG Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by FatManInNYC
Thinking of CAN for summer trip - how would you rate location for touristy activities? Shopping? Cultural? Worth a points-only stay?

Thanks for your report.

Safe travels!
I think the Westn Guangzhou is one of the very best. The loungue is awesome and hotel is well located for business.

Guangzhou isn't much of a tourist town. It's more of a gateway to southern china. Even Shamain Island is just ok and the polution in the city is some of the worst in the world. Worse than Beijing, Los Angeles and Mexico City. A fifteen minute bike ride will produce black grit on white clothing. That said, it's a vert short train ride from HK and flights leave for all over China.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 6:23 am

Programs: SPG & CO Plat.
Originally Posted by mlasser
I think the Westn Guangzhou is one of the very best. The loungue is awesome and hotel is well located for business.

Guangzhou isn't much of a tourist town. It's more of a gateway to southern china. Even Shamain Island is just ok and the polution in the city is some of the worst in the world. Worse than Beijing, Los Angeles and Mexico City. A fifteen minute bike ride will produce black grit on white clothing. That said, it's a vert short train ride from HK and flights leave for all over China.
Excellent information, thanks - I clearly have some more research to do, but I like the idea of doing a night or two, then, at the Westin before heading South.

Safe Travels!
Old Jan 1, 2009, 9:12 pm

Programs: HH, PC, SPG, MR, GP, US, UA, AA
Any recent experience? What are the chances of getting a suite UG as plat? TIA.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 12:07 am

Stayed at this hotel last October during the Canton Fair.

And, they upgraded me to a very large corner suite. Had breakfast at the cafe, wonderful food.

Originally Posted by rdchen
Any recent experience? What are the chances of getting a suite UG as plat? TIA.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 3:56 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF SG, LH SEN, OZ D+, HH D, SPG P
Originally Posted by Aircoco
Stayed at this hotel last October during the Canton Fair.

And, they upgraded me to a very large corner suite. Had breakfast at the cafe, wonderful food.
Same here, but for the spring fair. Got a very nice upgrade and loved the hotel. One of the better Westins around.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 5:16 pm
sjm

Programs: AC Super elite, Spg Plat
Smile

The plat upgrades at this hotel are the best I have ever had anywhere. The suites are amazing and the proximity to Guangzhou east train station if you are coming from HK is excellent. You can easily walk to the hotel if you don't have much luggage.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 10:53 am

Programs: HH, PC, SPG, MR, GP, US, UA, AA
I just stayed at the Westin Guangzhou in mid-January. Overall I was satisfied w/my stay, nice UG to a corner suite, the facility is brand new, the location can't be beat. However, I did encounter problem regarding the lounge breakfast benefit for plat (see my post in this thread for detail). Basically, according to FD agent, starting January 1, 2009, the lounge breakfast benefit will only apply to the plat member, the travelling companion has to pay additional $28 for the breakfast.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.