Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

President Wilson, Luxury Collection, Geneva, Switzerland [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

President Wilson, Luxury Collection, Geneva, Switzerland [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2000, 3:30 am
Original Poster

Location: Valley Springs, Ca USA;Proud Retired AAer SJC Ramp/ AA- 2 MM Platinum;Hilton Diamond
Arrow President Wilson, Luxury Collection, Geneva, Switzerland [Master Thread]

Has anyone stayed at this property in Geneva, Switzerland? A search of the Starwood Forum turned up no hits.
Old Jul 18, 2001, 3:14 pm

Hotel President Wilson, Geneva

Has anyone had any experience with this property? Any experiences with Platinum upgrades here? I notice that someone posted a similar question ~ 6 months ago, with no response.
Old Jul 18, 2001, 7:39 pm
Original Poster

Location: Valley Springs, Ca USA;Proud Retired AAer SJC Ramp/ AA- 2 MM Platinum;Hilton Diamond
That was me. I stayed there in February. I am a PLT and was given an upgraded room, not a suite, with a nice view of the lake. Welcoming amenity was a nice bottle of wine. There was a spectacular Lebanese restaurant in the hotel I highly recommend.
Old Jul 19, 2001, 7:56 am

Location: DL: PM/2M; UA: 1K; AA: Plat/2MM; SQ: PPS; US: Plat; Starwood: Plat; Hilton: Diam Hyatt: Diam; Loews Plat; Avis: Chair.
I was there last week. I paid for the first night and used a free Fri/Sat for the next two. I went with my daughter and was upgraded to an executive room with a lake view. These rooms aren't suites but have a hallway that fits a rollaway bed with ease and a much larger bathroom than the regular rooms.

The staff was great it's absolutely a first class hotel and the best in Geneva.
Old Jul 19, 2001, 11:54 am

Programs: CX MPC Silver, Aeroplan, SPG Platinum, Hyatt
You should never drive into Geneva without a hotel reservation....speaking from bad experiences here.

Although the hotel is right by the lake, it's actually further down from the busy section that the other hotel chains. I've only driven by it while I was on the phone trying to secure a last minute reservation for that evening. Unfortunately, they were full and I had to settle for the Hilton a few blocks away (better location).

I've never stayed at the Hilton before, and was amazed at the time-capsule that I entered into. It was like walking into Austin Powers' world circa 1960. Very Charles de Galles airport. Clearly, they haven't bothered to renovate. Not cheap, but of the 5 hotels that I phoned/drove by, they were the only ones who had a vacancy (and I could understand why now).

Anyone has any thoughts on a better alternative if I run into this again? I think there's only one Starwood hotel in Geneva.
Old May 9, 2003, 9:08 pm

Geneva's Hotel President Wilson

Hi,
I'm planning on staying at this hotel in June. Has anyone stayed at this hotel? If so, do they automatically update platinum members? Any other info would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old May 9, 2003, 11:51 pm

Programs: BA LTG, SQ TPPS, CX DMP, AA EXP, Bonvoy LTT, ALL PLT, Hilton DM
I stayed there last month and didn't get anything special in terms of upgrade. I think they gave me a larger room than I booked but it wasn't that great. And that weekend, the hotel was very empty so I don't know why I didn't get a suite or a better lake view.

However, the amentity and chocolates was nice. Bed was pretty hard. Bathroom was nice. Next time, I may choose to stay a little closer into town as I didn't think the hotel was that special.
Old Jul 30, 2003, 5:24 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Hotel President Wilson- Geneva

Has anyone stayed at this hotel recently in a lake view room? Are the rooms updated and very quiet? Do you have a good view of the lake? Is there public transportation close to the hotel to get to the center of town?
Old Jul 30, 2003, 8:03 pm
Original Poster

Nice suite upgrades. Great Lebanese restaurant. I never took public transportation because the walk along the quay was always too beautiful to pass up.
Old Jul 31, 2003, 7:22 am

Programs: Qatar Platinum, Etihad Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
This year so far, I stayed over six times / over 35 nights.

Upgrade: NEVER BEEN UPGRADED.

Location: It's the furthest from the center when compared to other hotels on the lake. But Geneva is small and as mentioned above the extra 5 min walk is always nice. So it's nothing to worry about.

Lake View: They have several rooms facing the lake but the view is nicer from other hotels (like Beau Rivage, Noga Hilton, D'Anglatere) where the jet d'eau can be seen. TIP: try to book a room with a side view over the lake. It's cheaper than the lakefront view rooms and IMHO the view is as nice.

Overall: The hotel is very nice especially during summer when the swimming pool is open.

Restaurants: Has a nice Pool Garden restaurant. The Lebanese restaurant is good (the second best in town). The other restaurant is nice and with a romantic atmosphere / French/Asian fusion food.

Staff: The hotel's best asset is the staff. The staff is very friendly. The concierge "Allen" and "Calude” are among the best I've ever seen, also "Celine" is very helpful. The front desk staff is friendly (not always smiling) but not as helpful as they can be especially with upgrades. "Tala", who speaks English fluently, is a nice young lady that always strives her best to ensure guest comfort.

Quietness: The hotel was undergoing renovation early this year (this doesn’t mean that rooms are much better now!) and I found controllable noise is high. By now the renovations should be over and the hotel should be quiet and peaceful. However, I would strongly suggest that you request a "Quite Room".

Rooms: I've stayed at five different "regular" rooms (no upgrades) and a junior suite (I paid for it) / both before and after renovation / both lake and city view.
IMHO, rooms can be much better if enough attention is paid to the minor details that qualify a hotel to be referred to as a "Luxury Hotel". Rooms are comfortable though but not as good as those of hotels "Des Bergues" or "D'Anglatere" when it comes to the fine touch.

GYM: Very small but at least this hotel has one! Many hotels in Geneva don't have their own. I haven't tried the swimming pool 'cause it was close in winter.

Internet Access: Has two terminals (v. slow) at the business center. Not aware of ISDN or faster connections. Anyway, this is almost the same at most hotels in Geneva.

To sum this up, why would one choose President Wilson over other hotels in Geneva:
Advantage: Staff / SPG points / Gym
Disadvantage: Poor chances of upgrade even for Platinum.

I'm happy to offer any further info on this hotel or Geneva in general.
Old Jul 31, 2003, 8:49 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
dabbagmm- Thanks for the very detailed report!! I have considered the other hotels you mentioned but they are substantially more expensive than the Pres. Wilson.

You say there are "several" rooms which have a lake view. I got the impression that one whole side of the hotel has a lake view. I don't want a lake view to be a hit or miss proposition. On their reservations site, they specify and charge more for rooms with lake views-- does that mean I'll have a lake view, or is it one of those situations where I might see a sliver of the lake if I lean out a window??

Thanks again for your advice.
Old Jul 31, 2003, 9:07 am

Programs: Qatar Platinum, Etihad Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
I do appologize for that. There are one whole side offering lakeview.

The lakeview is a lakeview! so you don't have to worry about it unless you get allocated a room on the first/second floor where some of the trees might block part of the view.

It's worth getting a room with a lake-view if you are planning in staying in the room several hours a day or if you are on a romantic getaway. Otherwise, you might want to request a regular (city view) room with a side view over the lake. I assume that getting this room maybe considered some sort of an upgrade.

Old Dec 15, 2003, 6:56 am

I'm back to this hotel but I have a feeling that this is going to be my last time here.

Just checked in 15 min ago and I was VERY DISAPPOINTED with their SPG Platinum treatment. It seems that this hotel has it's own interpretation of SPG policy.

I'm staying here for 16 nights and I was upgraded from a deluxe room (city view) to an executive room (lake view). No it's not the best available room. I checked few hours prior to check in and the system showed THREE junior suites bookable for the whole stay period (16 nights).

When I enquired about the availability of a better room , I was told there are none. But when I told the frontdesk office that Starwood website shows at least three junior suites, I was told that it's because of the rate I'm booked at (Taste of Luxury). He confirmed that, If my booking was for an executive room, I would have got the junior suite upgrade.

Is it a crime to seek the best available value deal advertised on Starwood website? Should that deprive me of my FULL Platinum entitlement??!!
Well, according to this Starwood property, the answer is yes.

I demanded to see the manager who gave me the usual BS. Nothing worth mentioning here.

It’s worth mentioning that this year I spent about 35 nights at this property. And I’ will be spending 16 nights this time. A total of over 50 nights!! I like this hotel but I’m being put off by the attitude of it’s management.

[This message has been edited by dabbagmm (edited Dec 15, 2003).]
Old Dec 15, 2003, 9:57 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
Not to add flame to the fire, but it could be the length of your stay. I've found that if my stay is only one or two days I have no problem being upgraded to a suite. But a hotel may not want to give you a suite for such a long period, when there is a chance they can get more actual revenue at some point during that time. Granted, a long stay is one where you'd really like to have a suite!
Old Dec 15, 2003, 10:20 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mauld:
Not to add flame to the fire, but it could be the length of your stay. </font>
I totally agree with you. But I've raised this point several times with various hotel managers. The argument is: if I decide to give you my WHOLE business, it becomes a disadvantage to me! I used to do it in the past when I used to have an elite tier with Hilton. I used to break up my long stays into two or three. In this case, I'm the only winner, I get higher chances of decent upgrades, I get more stay credits and I'm able to maintain elite tier status at Starwood and Hilton.

I guess it's all my fault that I decided to give Starwood more business. I'm already Platinum and staying 16 more nights in December will not get me anything but extra miles which I can also get at Hilton.

Lesson learned: It's a mistake to give your business to a single chain.

Lurker, any comments?

[This message has been edited by dabbagmm (edited Dec 15, 2003).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.