Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Riverfront Resort & Spa in Avon, CO [Master Thread]

Westin Riverfront Resort & Spa in Avon, CO [Master Thread]

Old Jan 3, 2007, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US Chairman's Preferred, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*
Arrow Westin Riverfront Resort & Spa in Avon, CO [Master Thread]

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/070103/20070103006046.html?.v=1

Press Release Source: Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc.

Starwood Announces The Westin Riverfront Resort & Spa and The Westin Riverfront Mountain Villas in Avon Colorado
Wednesday January 3, 3:08 pm ET
New Westin to Offer Scenic Views and Year-Round Outdoor Recreation

WHITE PLAINS, N.Y.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc. (NYSE: HOT - News) today announced The Westin Riverfront Resort & Spa - a 235-room full service hotel and resort facility, which is currently under construction and being developed by East West Partners - and The Westin Riverfront Mountain Villas, a 113-unit Westin vacation ownership resort being developed by Starwood Vacation Ownership. The entire mixed-use project will bring together the natural beauty of the region with The Westin brand's signature products and services, designed to help guests feel at their personal best.

Surrounded by mountains, The Westin Riverfront Resort & Spa is anticipated to open in time for the 2008 ski season, followed shortly thereafter by the first phase of The Westin Riverfront Mountain Villas. The complex will include a spa and fitness facility, restaurants and approximately 4,700 square feet of meeting space. It will also feature a pedestrian-friendly retail plaza with shops, restaurants and a high-speed eight-passenger gondola that will transport skiers and snowboarders to the adjacent Beaver Creek Ski Resort Area.

Old Oct 2, 2008, 12:36 pm

Programs: SPG
Any first impressions Westin Riverfront Resort & Spa, Avon, CO?

Going to be staying at the Westin Avon, Co in the near future. Looking for some first hand knowledge of this resort that just opened.
Old Oct 23, 2008, 2:46 pm

Me and my wife stayed here last weekend and loved the hotel. The rooms were really nice and I was upgraded to suite on the 3rd floor. The hotel is not fully open yet because I was told this was the highest open floor. Another wing is also still under construction.

I think we were the first people to stay in our room because a few items were missing. There was no remote for either TV and the bed side lamps had no bulbs. Other than that I had no complaints.

We have stayed at several Colorado Starwood’s (including the Aspen St. Regis) and this is definitely the best.
Old Oct 23, 2008, 3:27 pm

Our main reason for visiting the hotel was to try the restaurant. We both really liked Avondale. She did a write up at the following link if interested:

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/562853
Old Nov 24, 2008, 1:40 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, IC Amb
Westin Riverfront Resort & Spa, Avon, CO

Any recent stay or reports from FT members?

My searches only resulted in a few tidbits from related threads.

Taking the family in a few weeks for an early season ski trip and had some questions:

How are the dining options within the hotel?

Are there complimentary shuttles to/from Beaver Creek Village (BCV)?

Is it easy to get to the main lodge/ski school from the Riverfront Gondola or should I head straight for BCV?

Any other tips would be appreciated.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Nov 24, 2008 at 2:12 pm Reason: Moved into newly created master thread
Old Dec 4, 2008, 1:47 pm

In response to questions about the Westin Riverfront

The Westin has a variety of food options. Restaurant Avondale is the signature restaurant. All of the ingredients are locally grown so they're the freshest ingredients possible. The menu is approachable with a theme that features West coast & regional plates. It is high quality and affordable.
They also have the Market Avondale that has deli style sandwiches, coffee, assorted snacks and drinks.
There is also a wine bar in the lobby.

Don't feel obligated to go up to Beaver Creek Village if you're looking for other dining options. There are plenty in the town of Avon and in walking distance! TiCino in Avon is a new, locally owned pizza restaurant. They feature European style pizza that can't be beat! There's also Pazzos Pizza, Vin 48 (American cuisine and an extensive wine menu), and Fiesta Jalisco (Mexican).

If you're looking to get to the mountain during the day, the gondola is open from 8-5 starting early December. If you need to get to Beaver Creek village for lunch, dinner, shopping, etc, you can use a hotel shuttle.

If you need to get kids to ski school, the Kids Club has transportation in the morning and the afternoon.

The fastest way to get onto the mountain is to use the gondola. You will exit the gondola at Beaver Creek Landing and there is a lift 20 steps away which will put you on the Bachelor Gulch side of the mountain. It is a quick ski down to Beaver Creek Village from the top of that lift.
Old Dec 4, 2008, 8:13 pm

Thx skigirl

That's a lot of help! ^
Old Dec 29, 2008, 2:08 am

Stay Report

Since we stayed here recently (Dec 12 weekend) and there hasn't been too many stay reports, I thought I'd chime in.

Employees here are very friendly and service-oriented as soon as you step out of the car. Valet guys like John and porters like Willy(?) were great and terrific with touristic advice (where to dine, park in Avon, BC, Vail or Edwards, etc.). The ski valets were terrific as well...friendly and cheerful at every encounter. Westin Kids' Club also had fabulous workers, Margie and Jill(?). My 4yo son loved it there. And the hostess and our waitress, Heather, at the the restaurant, Avondale, were friendly and cheerful as well.

Brad at the front desk was very welcoming and acknowledged my Plat status upon check-in; we were "pre-upgraded" into a studio suite. More of a studio than a suite (no separate bedroom), but it had a very large bathroom with sep bath/shower. Coat rack, bench and long wardrobe upon entrance. King bed and pull-out sofa bed, floor-to-ceiling windows, large LCD TV with HD broadcast, and a small balcony. Interestingly, the room had a small kitchen with sink, utensils, microwave, fridge (semi-stocked with enough space to put your own things in) so that you could do some light cooking if you so desire.

The public areas were of fair size and offered several public sitting areas and a bar "conveniently" located. I found that I couldn't complain much at all being that it's a brand new resort (opened Oct 2008).

Resort fee of $20 per day includes fitness center, internet, local phone calls and such; and a one-time valet charge of $25 (wasn't per day so I hope that's the standard policy).

The restaurant Avondale has an upscale casual, contemporary atmosphere. We enjoyed breakfast there with views toward Beaver Creek Valley and Mountain. A small buffet offering but my wife said every item was fresh/delicious and my a la carte Duck Confit Hash was really good.

And for skiers, there's the on-premise gondola that takes you part way towards Bachelor Gulch ski area. This was our first ski vacation at a Starwood property so I can't compare it to others like Whistler or Mammoth, but we enjoyed our stay here and that's all that matters.

Lastly, take skigrl1984's suggestion and dine at Ticino for inexpensive, close-to-authentic (wood oven, thin crust) pizza. It's hard to find; being in the rear of the Avon Lodge, but worth the effort. Or go for the cheese tortellini with chicken at its sister restaurant, Columbine Bakery.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 10:50 am

Programs: Delta,SPG, Hyatt
July Outing

Wife and I are venturing here in July. Any comments on hiking, rafting, etc.
Looking to get a suprise dinner in as well, so any recs on restaurants are welcome. Checked Trip Advisor but didnt get a good feel for the restaurants. Feel free to PM. Glad you had fun! Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 8, 2009, 7:24 am

Christmas 2008 Review

Stayed here Christmas week 2008 and found this hotel to be a great addition to the Beaver Creek area. Getting to the hotel from the Vail/Eagle airport involves about a 20 minute taxi ride which costs about $105 plus tip. Check in was very smooth and the Studio Suite exceeded my expectations except for one small thing. The bed, view, furnishings and small kitchenette were fantastic. The bathroom was HUGE. My only problem was the lack of drawer space for a ski vacation. I got a glimpse of the 2 bedroom Suites and WOW they look fantastic.

The Health Club was large, had great views and brand new high end equipment. The outdoor pool was heated for Winter (a little cold for my liking) and the hot tubs were very hot, had overflow edges and nice views of the mountain.

There is a small Deli/take out store with interesting choices (hours need to be extended into the evening) and a high end restaurant named Avondale. Avondale was great for a pricey breakfast and for dinner it offered an unusual menu.

Yes the location of this hotel is on the Gondola, but you will need to take 2 more lifts to do any serious skiing. It is not easy to come back to the hotel once you are on the mountain. When you return for the day, you can ski all the way to the gondola but its a lengthy process. If you have kids in ski school, you will need to take a shuttle bus in the morning as the school is on the other side of the mountain. While in theory its only a 10 minute ride, the truth is that is at least hour due to waiting for the bus, riding the bus and walking to ski school. Its not terrible, but not that easy either. The ski valets at the hotel were all very nice and helpful, but on occasion some equipment got mixed up.

For the most part all the restaurants we went to were excellent. These include Avondale, Chophouse, Vin48 and Beanos. The only place I would pass on is Rocks Modern, it was nothing special for the price.
Old Jan 8, 2009, 7:27 am

Programs: Delta,SPG, Hyatt
Thanks Raincheck10. Great Review!!
Old Jan 13, 2009, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by W2B Globetrotter
Resort fee of $20 per day includes fitness center, internet, local phone calls and such; and a one-time valet charge of $25 (wasn't per day so I hope that's the standard policy).
Stayed here for 5 days and used the valet parking every day. We were charged for 3 days instead of 5.
Old Jan 13, 2009, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by cornellalum
Stayed here for 5 days and used the valet parking every day. We were charged for 3 days instead of 5.
Sorry to hear that cornellalum. Looks like they have an inconsistent policy on valet charge.

Did you enjoy your stay overall?
Old Jan 19, 2009, 12:52 pm

We are staying at the Westin in February for 2 weeks and are wondering whether we need a rental car for the full period.

Probably going to ski Vail and Beaver Creek mostly - are there shuttles/buses to Vail we can take? What about Breckenridge and Keystone?

Geting around Avon and Beaver Creek, are their buses to get us around to restaurants etc or a reasonably cost effective taxi service?

Just looking for best advice - would be frustrating to rent a car/SUV in DEN and realise we could have just used the CME and local transport options instead....
Old Jan 19, 2009, 1:12 pm

Well Hello There,

I too will be heading to the Westin Riverfront and I am not renting a car. I am going to take CME to the hotel. I'm planning on only skiing beavercreek and vail. The hotel said there is a bus to Vail for $5 each way. I don't know about Breckenridge or Keystone. The hotel has a complimentary shuttle to Beaver Creek and the Village. I really do not think one needs a car here during ski season. To find out about specific shuttle times and locations, you can call the hotel at (970) 790-6000. Have a great trip!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.