Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Detroit Metropolitan Airport [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2002, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US Chairman's Preferred, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*
Arrow Westin Detroit Metropolitan Airport [Master Thread]

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/021216/162522_1.html

Press Release Source: Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc.

The Westin Detroit Metropolitan Airport Lands December 15
Monday December 16, 3:31 pm ET
First Luxury Hotel to Open in the Detroit Market in 15 Years

WHITE PLAINS, N.Y.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Dec. 16, 2002--The new Westin Detroit Metropolitan Airport came in for a landing on Sunday, December 15th adjacent to the Edward H. McNamara/Northwest WorldGateway terminal at Detroit's Metropolitan Wayne County Airport.

The 11-floor, 400-room property is the first luxury hotel to open in the metro Detroit market in 15 years. This $85.1 million hotel is owned by Wayne County and managed by Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc., (NYSE:HOT - News) under its Westin brand. Located only 15 minutes from downtown Detroit and Windsor, Ontario, Canada, the new Westin promises to be a welcome addition to Detroit's hotel market for both corporate and leisure travelers.

"We are extremely proud to add The Westin Detroit Metropolitan Airport to Starwood's highly-acclaimed portfolio of luxury hotels," said Geoff Ballotti, Starwood's executive vice president of North American hotel operations. "This hotel will expand Starwood's presence in metro Detroit and provide travelers with the finest amenities at the airport - amenities and services our Westin guests expect and deserve. Together, the WorldGateway and Westin will make Detroit a premiere meeting location."

Designed for the ultimate comfort and service for travelers, meetings and special events, the new Westin offers top of the line accommodations and amenities. The sleek and contemporary design mirrors the contours of the new terminal and features Asian-influenced decor with light-colored Anigre wood accents imported from Africa. The spacious eight-story atrium with a 5,000-square-foot serene reflecting pool and 50-foot-bamboo trees offers the perfect place for a quiet conversation or a tranquil interlude between meetings and flights.

The 370,000-square-foot hotel includes:

* 400 elegantly appointed guestrooms, including 10 luxury suites
* Direct entrances to airport ticketing, curbside and Concourse A
* Four glass-enclosed elevators rising from the atrium
* Westin Executive Club floor with a private concierge lounge
* 25,000 square feet of meeting facilities
* 28 meeting rooms, all fully-equipped with high-speed Internet access and state-of-the-art sound systems
* 7,600-square-foot ballroom accommodating up to 850 guests with a separate banquet kitchen
* Business center
* Fitness center with heated indoor pool, whirlpool, weight machines and state-of-the-art cardiovascular equipment
* DEMA, a full-service upscale restaurant and bar located in the hotel's atrium and overlooking the reflecting pool
* Flight Deck observation lounge for cocktails and light fare
* Curbside valet parking located on the departure level, WorldGateway Drive

"The Westin adds another world-class feature to the new Edward H. McNamara Terminal/Northwest WorldGateway," said Wayne County Airport Authority CEO Lester Robinson. "The hotel was designed to provide convenient access to gateways around the world with direct entrances to and from the terminal. Business travelers will be able to land, attend a meeting within exceptional facilities and depart the same day, or board a flight after a restful night in deluxe accommodations."

Guestrooms feature Westin's signature Heavenly Bed® -- layer upon layer of fluffy down bed covers, comforters, and pillows -- and its newest Heavenly Bath(TM) -- a custom-designed Speakman® showerhead that offers a choice of spray options from light mist to massage needles, as well as velour bathrobes, oversized, Brazilian combed cotton bathsheets, curved shower rods to provide extra elbow room, and refreshing and invigorating spa amenities. Guestrooms also boast two-line phones including one cordless phone, voicemail, data ports with high-speed Internet access and all of the brand standards and superior services the Westin name is known for, such as Service Express®, a "one call does it all" concept that allows guests to dial just one number on their telephone to order 24-hour in-room dining, call the luggage attendant or room attendant, or have any other request filled.

Northwest Airlines served as the project manager, Darryl Berger Companies, Inc., New Orleans served as the project developer and Atlanta-based PFVS Architects as the architectural firm. Ai Group, Atlanta, designed the interior. Walbridge Aldinger, one of Michigan's major construction firms headquartered in Detroit, began building the hotel in March 2001.

"The combination of the WorldGateway Terminal and the Westin Hotel creates a new standard in airport hotel comfort and convenience," said Jim Greenwald, Northwest vice president facilities and airport affairs. Northwest's WorldGateway at Detroit provides travelers with seamless, quick and easy connections to over 130 destinations worldwide with 514 daily flights. The WorldGateway offers amenities such as fully integrated domestic and international arrivals and departures, and fully enclosed, climate controlled, passenger jet bridges for every type of aircraft it operates. Northwest Airlines is the world's fourth largest airline with hubs at Detroit, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Memphis, Tokyo and Amsterdam and more than 1,500 daily departures. With its travel partners, Northwest serves nearly 750 cities in almost 120 countries on six continents.

Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc. recently earned the distinction of having more than 25 of its top hotels and resorts included in Conde Nast Traveler's 2001 Readers' Choice Awards List. Guests who stay at The Westin Detroit Metropolitan Airport will be able to earn their way toward free travel through Starwood Preferred Guest®, consistently rated the best hotel frequency program in the world. With more than 700 participating hotels and resorts around the world, the program is the industry's most global and offers a structure focused on simplicity, flexibility in redemption options and inclusion of all Starwood's brands.

Westin Hotels & Resorts, with more than 110 hotels and resorts in 26 countries, is owned by Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc. Starwood Hotels & Resorts is one of the leading hotel and leisure companies in the world with more than 750 properties in more than 80 countries and 110,000 employees at its owned and managed properties. With internationally renowned brands, Starwood is a fully integrated owner, operator and franchisor of hotels and resorts including: St. Regis, The Luxury Collection, Sheraton, Westin, Four Points by Sheraton, W brands, as well as Starwood Vacation Ownership, Inc., one of the premier developers and operators of high quality vacation interval ownership resorts. For more information, please visit www.starwood.com.

For information and reservations, please call 1-800-WESTIN1 or visit www.westin.com.

Please contact Starwood's new, toll-free media hotline at (866) 4-STAR-PR (866-478-2777) for photography or additional information.

JOURNALISTS - PLEASE NOTE: JOIN STARWOOD'S PRESS RELEASE ALERT SERVICE TO RECEIVE STARWOOD COMPANY NEWS AND INFORMATION

To become a member, simply access the Starwood website, at www.starwood.com.

Once you reach the home page, simply click on "Corporate Information" then click on "Company News", enter your e-mail address, and click "Subscribe".

Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc.
Ellen Gallo, 914/640-8167
Director, Public Relations
[email protected]

Source: Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc.
Old Mar 12, 2003, 9:19 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Stunning atrium lobby. Rooms are W-like stark contemporary, "modern luxury". Great view of runways from rooms. Received nice upgrade as lowly gold. Helpful and extremely friendly staff, if not fully polished. Lounge was not yet open.
Old May 15, 2003, 5:36 pm

Staying at the hotel tonight. As a Plat. I was upgraded to a club level room. I did not ask about a suite as the web site says they have only 10 and I am leaving early tomorrow. The club lounge is open weekdays for breakfast and evening drinks/canapes. There are a couple of hot items plus a variety of cheeses, and a nice dessert tray (YUM!!!). There is a serve-yourself bar with a couple vaieties of wine/beer available in addition to a decent selection of liquors. According to the concierge, the lounge is open from Monday-Friday (no breakfast Mondays, no evening service on Fridays). The hotel is great if you are flying NW; however, if flying UA or the other airlines not in the mid-field terminal, you need to take an inter-terminal bus from the shuttle area which is a bit of a walk from the hotel (all inside). My guess is 15-20 minutes from room to the other terminal. Room is nice, but a tad bit smaller than the other domestic Westins I've been to (ORD, STL, Downtown Denver and Westminster). Received amenity card without asking. Local calls $1.50, 800 calls $2.00 (ugh), Hi-Speed internet $9.95. Didn't eat at the restaurant, but it looked nice. If I didn't answer any questions e-mail me.
Old May 15, 2003, 11:38 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Plat; UAL 1K, Starwood Plat
I didn't have a good experience at this hotel. Perhaps it was because I arrived at 2:00 AM. When I did finally arrive, I was shocked to see a line of ~twenty people asking about rates and trying to check in—must have been a cancelled flight—and to add lemon juice to my paper cut there was no one manning the SPG desk. Sometimes I wonder why they even have those “special” desks. What made it worse was I had called from the old terminal and told them I was on my way and to have my key ready if possible.

Besides the lackluster service (again could be because of my 2:00 AM arrival) the hotel is very nice with SMALL rooms but who can complain with the Heavenly Beds and bath. Overall not worth the 190.00 rate I paid and the four hours of sleep.
Old Jun 22, 2003, 8:35 am

Programs: Emirates Gold, SQ Gold, Jet Airways Gold, BA Silver, Qatar Silver, Starwood Lifetime Gold

I got a chance to check out the new Westin Detroit Metro hotel yesterday for a few fours. Here's a quick report:

- Easy access from the main concourse (A concourse) -- entrance to the hotel is across from gate A36 and has its own dedicated TSA-manned security checkpoint. The entrance leads directly to the main lobby -- no long walks (unline, say, the Hilton Terminal 4 at Heathrow!).

- Easy access to the airport from the hotel via the above-mentioned dedicated security checkpoint

- Northwest has two self-service e-ticket kiosks in the hotel lobby, which is a nice touch and makes check-in a breeze. I checked in, went back to my room and relaxed, before heading back to the terminal 40 minutes prior to the flight. Painless!

- Hotel is atrium style, with rooms looking into the atrium, as well as looking outside. The atrium, though large and tall (rises 8 floors high) is kind of dark and moody though. The elevator lobbies are also kind of dark. Shades of a W Hotel.

- Very pleasant check-in staff. I asked for a room -- preferably suite -- with a good view of the main concourse and the tarmac. The room I got had a parking-lot view. I went back down, and the woman apologized profusely, and was very apologetic. I got a new room which had a perfect view on the top floor -- view of A-concourse, the runways, and of all the NWA aircraft parked seemingly outside the room window along the A-concourse. Heaven for airline enthusiasts! Got plenty of nice pictures of NWA aircraft in both the new and old livery.

- Suite with a view was not available, so I chose a regular room with a view.

- Room size standard, but nicely done with Heavenly Beds and Bath. Bathroom on the smaller side though.

- TV has video-on-demand, and you can pause, forward, and rewind the movies like on a VCR. Nice touch.

That's it for now. For a rate of $89, this was an excellent deal! I would rate this as one of the best, most convenient airport hotels I have experienced. I would avoid the rooms that face into the darkish atrium though -- the outside rooms are the ones to go for!

[This message has been edited by Sankaps (edited 06-22-2003).]
Old Jun 28, 2003, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
Very pretty hotel. Stayed there last night on the same $89 rate. Upgraded to the Club floor as a plat (got there late and left early, didn't get a chance to check out the Club lounge).

Can't beat the convenience if you're flying NWA, and not far from the I-94 freeway if you're just passing through Detroit. It sure beats the socks off of the Westin Southfield property from the room, to the common areas, to the staff.
Old Jun 29, 2003, 2:42 pm

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Thats is something I am trying to figure out right now: should I stay at Westin DTW since everyone seems to enjoy it, or choose an alternative location.

When I go to DTW I usually stay for a couple of night over the weekend, while there I go to Royal Oak and Birmingham, so Westin DTW would be aabout 30 minutes drive to either town. I have heard terrifying things about Westin Southfield (although the location would be excellent for me). Anybody can tell me if its REALLY worth staying at Westin DTW, or maybe suggest an alternative SPG property in the area? Thank you
Old Jun 29, 2003, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by asnovici:
Thats is something I am trying to figure out right now: should I stay at Westin DTW since everyone seems to enjoy it, or choose an alternative location.

When I go to DTW I usually stay for a couple of night over the weekend, while there I go to Royal Oak and Birmingham, so Westin DTW would be aabout 30 minutes drive to either town. I have heard terrifying things about Westin Southfield (although the location would be excellent for me). Anybody can tell me if its REALLY worth staying at Westin DTW, or maybe suggest an alternative SPG property in the area? Thank you
</font>
No comparing the two. The Westin Metro is brand new and really nice. Southfield is old and tired (and moldy). I really didn't care for the Southfield at all.

They are both pretty isolated as far as other amenites go, the Southfield in an office area, the Metro in the airport.

The only downside other than location for you that I can see is that you have to pay airport rates for parking. I paid $10 overnight in short term (I got in at about 10pm, was out at 8am). The Southfied you can self park for free.

Try the Metro on your next stay, and decide for yourself.
Old Jun 30, 2003, 8:28 am

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by skofarrell:
No comparing the two. The Westin Metro is brand new and really nice. Southfield is old and tired (and moldy). I really didn't care for the Southfield at all.

They are both pretty isolated as far as other amenites go, the Southfield in an office area, the Metro in the airport.

The only downside other than location for you that I can see is that you have to pay airport rates for parking. I paid $10 overnight in short term (I got in at about 10pm, was out at 8am). The Southfied you can self park for free.

Try the Metro on your next stay, and decide for yourself.
</font>
Slightly disagree with skofarrell: agree that the airport Westin is new and neat; disagree as to Southfield. First, the Southfield hotel area is 10-15 minutes from Birmingham/Royal Oak. The airport Westin is at least 45 minutes. While within 15 minutes of the Southfield there are restaurants/entertainment galore, there is absolutely nothing near the airport. Finally, my recent stay as the Westin-Southfield revealed a pretty nice hotel and room, typically Westin with the heavenly bed. The Southfield Westin is not new and striking like the airport Westin, but pretty nice.

Old Jun 30, 2003, 10:06 am

I don't know what the dissing on about the Southfield Westin is all about.

There have been many great comments about this property and some of them you can still find on FlyerTalk. Search the current threads and the FT Archives.

It's not an old and tired hotel, not in the least. And who cares if there is nothing right next to the hotel as most visitors to Detroit have access to a car.

Royal Oak is much closer to Southfield. There are tons of restaurants 5 minutes from Southfield in any direction. You'll have to drive past Southfield to get to the best shopping in Detroit anyway.

Parking is free in Southfield where the valet costs at the Westin airport will pain you and the trekking to park your own car have to be considered.

Is the Westin airport a better looking hotel? Well ya, of course it is. It's newer. But is it more fun? No way.

They are both great properties for their own reasons. One property's benefits does not come at the exclusion of the other.

------------------
Got points ? Got smiles !
Old Jun 30, 2003, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Stephen loves Starwood:
I don't know what the dissing on about the Southfield Westin is all about.

There have been many great comments about this property and some of them you can still find on FlyerTalk. Search the current threads and the FT Archives.

It's not an old and tired hotel, not in the least. And who cares if there is nothing right next to the hotel as most visitors to Detroit have access to a car.

Royal Oak is much closer to Southfield. There are tons of restaurants 5 minutes from Southfield in any direction. You'll have to drive past Southfield to get to the best shopping in Detroit anyway.

Parking is free in Southfield where the valet costs at the Westin airport will pain you and the trekking to park your own car have to be considered.

They are both great properties for their own reasons. One property's benefits does not come at the exclusion of the other.

</font>
Having been to both this weekend, I respectfully disagree. The Southfield was significantly higher in price ($130/night corp rate, compared to $89), they did not offer Platinum recognition at check in (no upgrade, amenity, or USA today), the furniture in the room was tired, there wasn't enough water pressure to drive both heads of the heavenly shower, and there was a significant amount of mold/funk growing in the corners of the shower.

The room did have the heavenly bed and bath.

I was very unimpressed.

[This message has been edited by skofarrell (edited 06-30-2003).]
Old Jun 30, 2003, 1:24 pm

If the Southfield property is really in that kind of shape overall, I might opt for the Metro location even if it is at the airport. It sounds like a great hotel, but I can't imagine staying there, unless I have an early flight. Are there any good places for restaurants or shopping within 15-20 minutes of the airport?
Old Jun 30, 2003, 1:24 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by skofarrell:
Having been to both this weekend, I respectfully disagree. The Southfield was significantly higher in price ($130/night corp rate, compared to $89), they did not offer Platinum recognition at check in (no upgrade, amenity, or USA today), the furniture in the room was tired, there wasn't enough water pressure to drive both heads of the heavenly shower, and there was a significant amount of mold/funk growing in the corners of the shower.

The room did have the heavenly bed and bath.

I was very unimpressed.

</font>
If you weren't offered the amenity, you know the procedures. Regardless, why couldn't you just ask for the Platinum Amenity card and then made your choice?

USA Today is usually delivered to the rooms but if not is available in the mornings at the concierge desk right by the front door.

It's nice to be offered these without asking, but all properties will eventually neglect to be pro-active.

As for not liking your room or for mold problems in the bathroom that can happen in the most posh of hotels. Did you voice your disatisfaction to the property?

Sorry you were not satisfied with your stay but these are all service-related issues not property-specific issues.

------------------
Got points ? Got smiles !
Old Jun 30, 2003, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My point is that in comparing the two hotels on consecutive nights, one has their act together, the other doesn't. One hotel is "tired" and the other isn't.

I asked for the amenity at check out. I assumed that the hotel was too full to upgrade my room (although judging from the parking lot I doubt it was), I didn't bother with the paper (it certainly looked like my room was the only one not to receive it on my floor), didn't bother reporting the mold (it was really obvious).

As a customer, it isn't my job to point out where a hotel isn't living up to its own standards or following its own procedures. I shouldn't have to "know the procedure". If they neglect their best customers, that speaks volumes, and I vote with my feet.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Sorry you were not satisfied with your stay but these are all service-related issues not property-specific issues.
</font>
On this, I couldn't disagree more. The two go hand in hand.

Old Jul 1, 2003, 7:35 am

Programs: HHonors, SPG, UAL - 1P
I checked out of the Southfield Westin 1 week ago and had none of the issues mentioned above by Skofarrell.

I received my USA Today everyday, the furniture appeared new, the pressure in the shower was enough for my wife and I to enjoy the shower together with both shower heads active, and there was absolutely no mold. Believe me if there would have been any indication of mold, my wife would have let me know. I believe I was on the 12th floor.

Now the platinum amentity was a different story. I checked in early, before a room was available. The front desk clerk swiped my card but didn't give me my room key. She indicated I would need to simply stop by a bit later and pick the key up. She did not offer the platinum amentity. When I picked up my key I was asked if there was anything else I needed. I indicated I hadn't received my amentity so she not only provided the amentity she also offered a complimentery movie. Basically giving me 2 choices from the amentity card.

I received nothing but wonderful service at this hotel. I would hot hesitate to stay again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.