Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Quito, Ecuador [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Quito, Ecuador [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2006, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Plat SPG Platinum
Arrow Sheraton Quito, Ecuador [Master Thread]

Have stayed there several times over the last year, most recently in July. As the repeat stays suggest, it works for me, but a lot depends on the purpose of your trip.
Several advantages include a great efficient free shuttle service from the airport, very good recognition of status, (including extra late check outs) and well furnished rooms with good amenities. All in all a nice showing for a Four Points, and probably among the best Four Points in the chain.

There are several food options in the hotel, including a very good lunch buffet at a quite reasonable price for what is offered. Food is no problem as several fast food type places (pizza, chicken, deli) are right outside the hotel and a major shopping center is across the street, featuring a great food court with many purveyors of local specialities as well as the usual global suspects. Several casual dining type restaurants are also in that mall.

Taxis are plentiful and cheap, especially if hailed in the street; this means that location may not be all that critical. The hotel is located in the newer commercial/financial center, which is good for business purposes. Hence mostly a business commercial clientele, with relative ew families, at least based on what I have seen in the lobb. Other hotels may be better situated for pure tourism. This really depends on where you need to be for what purpose, but is a bit of a hair split given ease of taxis and other public transport.

Generally speaking this is a good hotel that will certainly meet all reasonable needs, with many extras over and above what one would find in a US Four Points. There are a number of hotel options in Quito and other choices may serve better for some purposes, but this is certainly a most viable choice.

Hope this helps and at least gives a general update more recent than 2003.

Cheers
Rens
Old Mar 5, 2007, 8:32 am
Suspended

theres no place like the JW Marriott, I used to stay at the Hilton, slightly better location for me but the JW is Great, also with free airport transfers as is the case by most if not all the Hotels in UIO.

never did the 4P
Old Jan 13, 2008, 2:04 pm

Programs: UA1P MM, Delta, AA, IC Royal Ambassador, Starwood Gold
Does Quito 4 Points still exist?

I don't find any Starwood website listings for 4 Points Quito, only for the Sheraton. One and the same?

Dave
Old Jan 14, 2008, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Rebranded as Sheraton

Originally Posted by DGellman
I don't find any Starwood website listings for 4 Points Quito, only for the Sheraton. One and the same?
One and the same. Looks like the Four Points has been recently rebranded as a regular Sheraton.

Wonder if ownership of the hotel has changed too. When I stayed there (April 2006) it was owned and managed by Colombia's GHL Hotels. GHL also runs the Four Points branded properties in GYE, all three of the Colombian Starwood properties, and PTY. Have always thought they do a nice job running their properties.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 7:10 pm

Stayed at the Quito Sheraton in November 2007 on the way to and from the Galapagos.

The hotel was being remodelled. The room was new and fresh. Flat panel TV. Comfortable beds... but I think it had the 4-Points type bedding.

They were picky about how many people you indicated on the room for the rate at check-in. I think the agent charged me $10 extra for my wife. Courtesy transportation to the airport was frequent and quick. Room rate was under $100.

The lobby was clean and nice. Very good services for baggages, etc. We ate room service and it was very inexpensive and of normal Sheraton quality food.

The hotel is located right across the street from a Market (Mall) for shopping.
Very nice hotel for the money and definitely a cut above the usual 4-Points quality.

The breakfast was not very substantial and the ViP lounge was small.

You will not be overly impressed, but cerainly not disappointed with staying at the Sheraton in Quito. It was a tough call whether to use points or cash... as the room rates were reasonable.
Old Jan 26, 2008, 7:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP/1MM
I stayed at the Four Points in Quito in Oct 2007.

I didn't get an upgrade, but I had a pretty big room with a sitting/living room area and another area for the bed. There was a flat panel TV. I paid for in-room internet access which was only available by ethernet cable (no wifi). The gym was very average. It only had a few pieces of equipment, but had a great view of the city since it's on one of the top floors.

I really enjoyed my stay. I had just come in from Montreal, and I stayed in Four Points there. Though the Montreal Four Points was okay, the Quito Four Points seemed to be in an entirely different (higher) class. Quito was also much cheaper--I think I paid $90 a night. I haven't stayed at any other Four Points, so I'm not sure how it compares to others.

The staff was very friendly, professional, and attentive. As others have posted, they were good with check-in, baggage, airport transfers, etc. I didn't actually expect them to pick me up from the airport, so I was pleasantly surprised when I saw a staff member at holding up a sign with my name on it at the airport. I think the hotel is in the business area of Quito and not that close to the big tourist areas like the Plaza Grande and Panecillo, but there were always taxis pulling up to the hotel. The surrounding area seemed pretty safe.

I would definitely stay here again on my next trip here.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 3:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: United 1K, HHonors Gold, MR Gold
Sheraton Quito - Worth it to pay for Club Floor?

I'm going to Quito later in February for a Spanish language study holiday. I'm planning to spend the two weekends of my visit at the JW Marriott because a) they've got a great weekend rate; b) there's a mega-bonus promo (5000 pts every second stay); and c) I'm Gold with MR.

During the week when I'm actually attending the school, though, I was thinking of staying at the Sheraton. The school told me that the Sheraton is closer than the Hilton (which I also was considering - I'm Gold with Hilton so I'd get free breakfast). I just have "Preferred" status with SPG because I have an SPG Amex. With the 2, 3, 4x promo on right now, however, this trip looks like a good opportunity to rack up some SPG points since I'd have a five night stay. There's a $135 rate for a regular King (also includes free access to the gym although I think I get that anyway with my SPG status) and $165 for a Club "traditional" room with access to the lounge, free continental breakfast and snacks in the evening and free internet access. Is it worth the extra $30 per day for these benefits? Are the club rooms nicer than the regular rooms? The main benefits would be the lounge access with food and possibly a nicer room, since I probably can get reimbursed for the internet access by my company since I'll probably have to do some work while I'm there.

Any input from those who've stayed at the Sheraton Quito would be appreciated.
Old Feb 6, 2010, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Plat SPG Platinum
Kate,

Based on my most recent stay in mid January this year, I'll stand by my comments earlier in this thread. Not all that much has changed from the 4 Points days, except the room rates are a bit higher and the value proposition, consequently, no longer as outstanding. As PTCFlyer said, the hotel will not disappoint, but is by no means exceptional.
Given that taxis remain cheap, if hailed from the street, location may not be all that critical, except in peak traffic times.
Hard to judge if the Club Level is worth an extra $30 per day. Standard rooms are not all that different from other floors. Indeed I've found some rooms on the standard floors better than someclub level rooms, at least IMHO. uUgrades are a bit difficult to score, given the limited number available on the club floors. A plus is additional security on the club level; a swipe of the room key is needed to pass through a glass door immediately off the lift to enter the floor. IMHO the breakfast offering in the club lounge is sparse and quite limited. If the breakfast was the primary motive, perhaps better to spend the $30 on the downstairs breakfast buffet, which is quite extensive, or visit one of the many restaurants nearby. Sometimes the friendly receptionist will let club level gueats take the downstairs buffet instead of the lounge breakfast. By all means ask and take that option if offered.

Have you asked your school abouit lodigng options? Some have arrangements for homestays, etc. which are much less costly and offer a goog compliment to the language training.

Herb687 Yes, GHL still has this hotel.

Hope this helps
Old May 4, 2010, 8:08 pm

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
As SPG Platinum, was upgraded to a 'junior' suite with separate bedroom and sitting room. There was a Japanese style sliding screen separating the two divisions. Breakfast was offered either downstairs or in the club room. Downstairs was quite substantial since Ecuadorian breakfast is essentially lunch for everyone else. Cocktails were less interesting and the wine offered was second rate. Internet is free for all guests in the hotel, as are round-trip airport transfers. In general, I found this hotel to be outstanding, with helpful and friendly staff. The decoration is modern and rooms are very well maintained.
Old May 5, 2010, 8:53 am

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
deleted due to wrong thread

Last edited by luckypierre; May 5, 2010 at 8:55 am Reason: wrong thread
Old Nov 18, 2010, 12:22 pm

Programs: AA Ex-Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
Does anyone know if the junior suite has a pull out sofa?

We have 3 adults in our party, so we were hoping stay in one room.

Thanks.
Rich
Old Jan 11, 2011, 12:09 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Going to be staying here later this week. Does anyone know if the Sheraton is located in a safe neighborhood in Quito.

Also, can I fit a 13" MacBook into the in-room safe? I am still deciding whether to bring along my MacBook to Ecuador! Thanks!!
Old Jan 11, 2011, 8:57 am

Very safe. We walked around the area a lot and never felt unsafe.

There is a very nice park close by and a lot of western chain restaurants nearby. We ate in a random local restaurnant for breakfast a few blocks away and everyone was friendly even though we didn't speak spanish.

The tram is a short block away, which was very convenient.

Not sure of the answer about the macboo.

My only caveat for the place is that if you get a low floor above the meeting rooms, you might feel and hear wedding parties late into the early morning.

Rich
Old Jan 11, 2011, 8:58 am

Very safe. We walked around the area a lot and never felt unsafe.

There is a very nice park close by and a lot of western chain restaurants nearby. We ate in a random local restaurnant for breakfast a few blocks away and everyone was friendly even though we didn't speak spanish.

The tram is a short block away, which was very convenient.

Not sure of the answer about the macbook.

My only caveat for the place is that if you get a low floor above the meeting rooms, you might feel and hear wedding parties late into the early morning.

Rich
Old Jan 12, 2011, 9:55 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Originally Posted by puchalskir
Very safe. We walked around the area a lot and never felt unsafe...
Thank you!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.