Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Four Points Geelong, Victoria, Australia [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Four Points Geelong, Victoria, Australia [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2005, 8:35 pm
Original Poster

Arrow Four Points Geelong, Victoria, Australia [Master Thread]

Thinking about putting a collegue in Geelong.
Anything I should know.I did a search but there is nothing specific.
he is a plat.

they didnt seem too forthcoming about their upgrade to suite situ.
Old Feb 8, 2007, 9:07 am
Suspended

bump. any thoughts on the four points geelong, australia (outside of melbourne)?

thx.
Old Feb 8, 2007, 9:41 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Hi,

I did not stay there, but I can only comment on the location and impression of the hotel when I was there in Jan. The location is very close to the harbour and seems that they have a very good cafe/restaurant as it was packed that day when I was there. Exterior looks nice and seems very well kept. I did have a short glimpse of the interior from outside and it looked typical 4-points decoration.

The hotel is also within walking distance to the city center.

From my experience with Australians, I am sure that he does not need to worry about getting rude staff. All my hotel stays and people I met in Australia was really friendly.

I think that if they have the availability, they would most probably upgrade your friend. At all my stays at the HI and CP they upgraded me all of the time without fail.

I hope this gives you some ideas of the hotel..

Old Feb 8, 2007, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

we did stay there and it was great
as plat was upgraded to a suite.
it is a typical reps hotel but good for the price
Old Feb 8, 2007, 2:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by tinkybelle
we did stay there and it was great
as plat was upgraded to a suite.
it is a typical reps hotel but good for the price
thanks for this. can i ask...what do you mean that it is a "typical reps hotel?" i don't understand what that means....

thanks.
Old Feb 8, 2007, 4:09 pm

Programs: SPG Plat
4 pts Geelong

Stayed for one night on both ends of a trip along the Great Ocean Road. Can't say I was fascinated with Geelong, but the hotel was perfectly fine. Cafe was acceptable, and reasonably priced compared to other options on the waterfront. From looking around town, this is by far the best accomodation available. We were upgraded on both stays, and amenity was offered without asking. It's not 5 star by any stretch, but compares nicely with the four points in Sydney (if you're familiar with that one).

While it is close to the city center, I'm not sure how much value this provides after about 8pm on a Friday most everything seemed closed down (save for a few pubs).

If you have Starwood Privilege, they offer an AUD$135 rate including free valet parking.
Old Mar 22, 2009, 3:44 pm

Staff try hard but need more on the ground.

I have just got back from spending the weekend in Geelong and staying at the 4 Points ( one of only two 4 Points properties in Australia). I have stayed here before and my expectations are not high other than a reasonable stay and thats what I got.
I was "upgraded" from a King Deluxe to a Queen deluxe with a balcony overlooking the sea. This was fine and the rollaway for my son was ready and setup in my room. Check In was quick and pleasant.The same young lady checked me out on Sunday with the same efficiency.
The Hotel was nearly full to capacity with local weddings and the Head of The River-Schoolgirls rowing that was on in the city.
Our stay was pleasant and our room was tidy with the bathroom being quite small.Do not expect 5 star but the staff try hard.
Because of an early rowing start we were the first to breakfast at 0640 on Sunday morning.We were told to take a table that was not reserved and we noticed that most tables near the driveway and sea sides were reserved.
Breakfast was going to be quick but after we sat down...the 2 servers had disappeared and no one was at reception....no one anywhere.
I was chasing maple syrup for the pancakes that was not out and our coffee order....but no one.
Then I noticed the scruffy young man who was at reception earlier...he came out a side door and he said he would fix it. Three minutes later one of the servers did arrive with the maple syrup...still no coffee (We ordered lattees but plain coffee was out). I got up again to remind the same server and she said she would fix it...then about 3 minutes later again she came back and said she would like to take our order again.
In the end we got our coffee 17 minutes after ordering and a quick breakfast took a little longer but we made the early morning rowing start in time. The Bacon was overcooked and the commercially baked breakfast potatoes had no taste.Not worth the $75 we were charged for 2 Adults and a 10 year old but we were after a quick bite, the emphasis being quick.
The staff try hard and were pleasant but not enough on the ground Bryan!!!!
As we were leaving for the river we saw one of the 2 breakfast servers with a room service tray and she was rushing.
Come on Bryan and sort this out

Last edited by aussiechris; Mar 22, 2009 at 3:55 pm
Old Mar 22, 2009, 8:07 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by aussiechris
Come on Bryan and sort this out
Have you forwarded your comments to Mr. Dennis in this case?

Do let me know.

[email protected]

Thyetus Lee | Online Forum Coordinator(AP)
Starwood Customer Contact Centre (AP) Pte Ltd
Old Mar 22, 2009, 8:16 pm

GM has answered

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker II
Have you forwarded your comments to Mr. Dennis in this case?

Do let me know.

[email protected]

Thyetus Lee | Online Forum Coordinator(AP)
Starwood Customer Contact Centre (AP) Pte Ltd
Yes Thyetus, Bryan has seen the post (an email from me helped) and he has responded by email.

Part of his reply is below:

Thankyou for sending me the link to your review.

I have read your comments with interest and I agree with your disappointment relating to your breakfast experience.
Most importantly, I will ensure this meal period receives the focus and manning it deserves with special attention given to the manning, at that early time of the morning, especially when we know we have a special sporting event taking place in Geelong.

I will also look into who my scruffy receptionist is.

Chris, I really appreciate you taking the time to ensure I received your feed back.
I for one do not under estimate the worth of such feedback
Old Mar 24, 2009, 4:29 am

A response like that from the GM is a plus for the hotel, overall.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 7:26 pm

Programs: UA GS 3Million, Marriott/SPG LIFETIME Platinum - current Titanium, HHonors Diamond
Thumbs up Recent stay report - Four Points Geelong

Stayed at the Four Points Geelong earlier this week. Front desk staff was amongst the most cheerful and helpful I have ever had. Room was nice, a top floor bay view room (Bay View Studio), but man - the traffic noise here was amazing, especially as it started in about 5:30 AM. Wouldn't have imagined it to be such a high traffic area.

Breakfast was good (didn't look for pancake syrup), the chef was really on top of eggs and omelets (saw her personally serve at least three other tables). Thought the coffee/tea service was a bit odd, using carafes, but am not much of a drinker, so not a big deal for me.

Had to go get a car from Hertz (since they closed their location at Avalon Airport) and staff were very nice, parking it out front and helping us with our departure. Great overall service.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 7:44 am

Programs: Qantas, Hilton, IHG
Got back charged $200 for smoking in the room - even though we didn't!

I'm a non-smoker and I dislike people smoking right near me. My companion is a smoker and knows that I would never have smoking in the room anyway. It's a totally non-smoking hotel. We realised that - it was fine - my companion would smoke outside. The room smelt a bit stale when we got there. I recently stayed in hotels in Southern Asia and Indonesia where smoking is more the norm and the room smelt a bit like those. But it's not that smell that bothers me - the actual smoke does.

My companion made sure to smoke outside (a few cigarettes in 24 hours) but brought some of the cigarette butts back, each one wrapped in a tissue and disposed of them in the room's bin.

After check-out we where back-charged AUD 200.00 for a "deep cleaning". The hotel claimed the room was smelly (it was at check-in too) and that cigarette ash was present. I suspect the cleaner just noted 4 or 5 cigarette butts in the bin and decided to make an issue of the pre-existing stale smell. I've asked for a photo of the ash but, surprise surprise they don't have one.

So be careful. Even disposing of a cigarette butt in the room's bin can cause this charge.

This is most unfair Geelong Four Points! On reflection you sold us a bit of a smelly room and our mistake was not to complain at check-in time!
Old Apr 8, 2010, 8:00 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by Austman
I'm a non-smoker and I dislike people smoking right near me. My companion is a smoker and knows that I would never have smoking in the room anyway. It's a totally non-smoking hotel. We realised that - it was fine - my companion would smoke outside. The room smelt a bit stale when we got there. I recently stayed in hotels in Southern Asia and Indonesia where smoking is more the norm and the room smelt a bit like those. But it's not that smell that bothers me - the actual smoke does.

My companion made sure to smoke outside (a few cigarettes in 24 hours) but brought some of the cigarette butts back, each one wrapped in a tissue and disposed of them in the room's bin.
Oh dear... That's sad! To pay A$200 is a bit too much!

I was there in May 2009 and enjoyed my stay tremendously. Agree with the rest that the noise from traffic can be quite loud.

My husband and I definitely cannot forget Four Points Geelong ever again. There was a fire alarm at 4am in the morning on our first night there! We had to evacuate and stand outside the hotel in the freezing cold (it was nearing winter) while waiting for the firemen to come and sort out the problem. Apparently there was no fire but someone must have played with the alarm bells.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by Austman

After check-out we where back-charged AUD 200.00 for a "deep cleaning". The hotel claimed the room was smelly (it was at check-in too) and that cigarette ash was present. I suspect the cleaner just noted 4 or 5 cigarette butts in the bin and decided to make an issue of the pre-existing stale smell. I've asked for a photo of the ash but, surprise surprise they don't have one.

So be careful. Even disposing of a cigarette butt in the room's bin can cause this charge.

This is most unfair Geelong Four Points! On reflection you sold us a bit of a smelly room and our mistake was not to complain at check-in time!
I stayed here last month for a one nighter.
I was initially given Room 616 which was filthy to say the least and as the Hotel was full owing to the Head Of River rowing, they were reluctant to move me.The Duty Manager even offered me a complimentary stay ( after an inspection) but I insisted on paying for a room change.

The story here is the same as in any Hotel...deal with these issues at the Hotel straight away.

They could not argue with me that at 3:20 in the afternoon that all rooms were occupied for the night. When I asked for them to ring a certain Starwood VP on my behalf , they stated that they did not know his number...I replied thats easy...use my phone as his number is on my contact list! They did not take up my offer but quickly moved us to Room 719 on the top floor.
We had full buffet breakfast included in our rate and they wanted to charge us for cafe lattes as extra instead of the percolated coffee that was on hand. They quickly came back with our order following further unnecessary dialogue.

This was a sell out weekend and as I paid AUD370 for the room it is not cheap . Valet was AUD25 , Rollaway AUD30.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 10:39 pm

Programs: Qantas, Hilton, IHG
Update 1

I've sent 3 emails (all get read receipts) and made 3 phone calls to the hotel over the past 2 days to try and get the matter resolved - all calls got promises that the hotel would call me back.

So far: Nothing at all from them.

They seem quick to blame however. The back-charge was made and the letter was dated on the day I checked out.

I pointed out (among other things) that my SPG profile today and since I started with SPG over 10 years ago states :"non-smoking, king bed". I've been banning smoking in my hotel room long before many hotels started to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.