Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Grand Los Angeles Downtown Hotel [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Grand Los Angeles Downtown Hotel [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2005, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA2mm,HGPdiamond, AAExPlat, MarriottGold
Arrow Sheraton Grand Los Angeles Downtown Hotel [Master Thread]

Sorry if this is a duplicate thread. Did a search and found nothing.
Is Sheraton taking over the LA Hyatt downtown?
I stayed at the LA Hyatt on S Hope St this weekend and was told by the front desk personnel that the hotel will change hands on May 20th. That it is being taken over by Sheraton. Anyone have any news? Pricing? Changes/Rehab?
It's an Ok property but a good location for Staples Center, Metro, etc.
Old May 13, 2005, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Hilton Diamond
Smile

It's true!

The Hyatt Regency Los Angeles at 711 S. Hope St. will become a Sheraton Hotel effective May 20, said Mark LeBlanc, vice president of business development for the hospitality group, in an announcement sent to local hoteliers. Modesto-based Rim Hospitality obtained the management contract for the 485-room hotel and will take over next week.
http://www.ladowntownnews.com/articl...riefs/at02.txt
Old May 21, 2005, 2:46 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Here is some more info from yesterdays LA Times:

Hotels Break Ranks on Union Contract
One signs a deal while the general manager of another urges surrender on expiration date issue.
By Nancy Cleeland
Times Staff Writer

May 20, 2005

A coalition of prominent Los Angeles hotels has suffered a double blow in its yearlong power struggle with the hotel workers' union, as two of nine original members publicly broke ranks on the crucial issue of the contract expiration date.

The Unite Here union is demanding that the contract end in 2006 as part of a campaign to line up expiration dates across the country. That could allow the union to call a national strike as it goes up against national chains, leaders said.

The expiration date has been the key point of contention between the two sides, with the Los Angeles Hotel Employer's Council pushing for a longer deal.

The latest hit to the council came Thursday, when Unite Here officials said they had signed a 2006 deal with the newly renamed Sheraton Los Angeles. The former Hyatt Regency was a council member until it changed ownership this week.
Like pacts recently signed between the union and six independent hotels that are not part of the coalition, the Sheraton Los Angeles contract calls for modest wage increases and a continuation of family health benefits.

More surprising was a plea for surrender sent out by Wilshire Grand General Manager John Stoddard, once a strident opponent of the union. His May 12 letter to fellow council members, obtained by the union and released Thursday, calls for capitulation on the expiration date for the sake of the local economy.

A union-led boycott has led to the cancellation of dozens of events at council hotels, amounting to at least $13 million in lost revenue, according to union researchers who are tracking customers.

"Six other hotels in the Los Angeles area, including the Beverly Hilton, have found the union's proposal to be acceptable and have signed a contract with a 2006 expiration," Stoddard wrote. "I see no reason why this same deal should not be acceptable to us."

The Wilshire Grand is contractually obligated to remain in the council and cannot sign an independent contract with the union. Union officials said the hotel would remain on their boycott list, but they would stop active campaigning against it.

Hotel council spokesman Fred Muir said Stoddard's position was no surprise and that he had been urging a more pragmatic approach for a while. With 2006 fast approaching, Stoddard argued that the council had little to lose by giving in now.

Muir said none of the other hotels shared that view. "They still think a longer contract is the way to go," he said.

With the loss of the Sheraton Los Angeles and the conversion of the St. Regis to luxury condominiums, the council is down to seven members, contractually bound to cooperate in negotiations. They are the Hyatt West Hollywood, Westin Century Plaza, Sheraton Universal, Wilshire Grand, Millennium Biltmore, Regent Beverly Wilshire and Westin Bonaventure.

The Millennium Biltmore is also on the market, and if sold, probably would drop out of the group.

Tom Walsh, secretary-treasurer of Unite Here Local 11, said he expected to see more council hotels coming over to the union's position.

"We've got a lot of momentum on our side," Walsh said. "I think we're in a very good position now."
Old May 23, 2005, 1:34 pm

Programs: US Chairman's Preferred, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*
Post Hyatt Regency Reflagged as the Sheraton Los Angeles Downtown Hotel

It wasn't listed on sheraton.com when I looked earlier today, though it's been removed from Hyatt's list of properties in Los Angeles.

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/050523/235750.html?.v=1

Press Release Source: Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc.

Hyatt Regency Reflagged as the Sheraton Los Angeles Downtown Hotel
Monday May 23, 1:00 pm ET
Sheraton Flag Flies Once Again in the City of Angels' Downtown District

WHITE PLAINS, N.Y.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--May 23, 2005--Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc. (NYSE: HOT - News) announces that the Hyatt Regency Los Angeles was reflagged on May 20th, as the Sheraton Los Angeles Downtown. The property is owned by 711 Hope, LP and managed by Rim LA Manager, LLC of Modesto, CA. The 485-room hotel will undergo a $10 million renovation which will include modifications to guest rooms, meeting rooms and public space.

"We are delighted to be back at this terrific location with this great property and feel it is important for Starwood's distribution to once again have a Sheraton hotel in downtown Los Angeles," stated Katherine Lewis, vice president, Sheraton Hotels & Resorts.

"I am so proud to be at the helm of this fabulous property and look forward to raising this hotel to its full potential and delighting our guests with the Sheraton experience." said Patrick Birmingham, the new general manager of the Sheraton Los Angeles Downtown.

The Sheraton Los Angeles Downtown will feature all of the brand's signature amenities and services including highly acclaimed Sheraton Sweet Sleeper Bed(sm). The Sheraton Sweet Sleeper Bed is a luxurious nine-layer custom designed bed that features an 11.5 inch thick, high coil count plush-top mattress, down and allergy sensitive pillows and crisp sheets. The hotel also features 28,000 square feet of meeting space which includes a 12,000 square-foot ballroom that can seat up to 1,000 and a 6,000 square-foot round rooftop ballroom offering stunning views of the city.

Situated in the Los Angeles financial district, this contemporary hotel is connected to Macy's Plaza, an expansive shopping mall offering many fine shops and dining outlets. The hotel is close to several downtown attractions including Staples Center, the popular sports and entertainment center which is home to the LA Lakers, LA Kings and LA Clippers and also hosts top performing acts and boxing events. Additionally, the hotel is within walking distance to the Los Angeles Convention Center, the theater district and Los Angeles public transportation system, Metrolink and Red Line.

Source: Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc.
Old May 23, 2005, 2:04 pm

It's on the Sheraton.com site now:
Sheraton Los Angeles Downtown Hotel

Award category is not yet listed, but I'd bet on category 3.

Last edited by BradC; May 23, 2005 at 2:08 pm
Old May 23, 2005, 2:12 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by BradC
It's on the Sheraton.com site now:
Sheraton Los Angeles Downtown Hotel

Award category is not yet listed, but I'd bet on category 3.
According to the reservation database, it will be a Category 3 property.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old Jun 12, 2005, 4:14 pm

"New" Sheraton Los Angeles - Dumpy, Dumpy, Dumpy

I'm currently at the newly flagged Sheraton in downtown LA. This was the Hyatt up until a few weeks ago as has been discussed in previous threads.

At check-in, I was briefly delighted as reception offered a suite (I'm only SPG Gold) when I requested it. But, the smile turned to amazement as I stepped into the time machine known as the elevators.

The hotel is a total dump. Looks like it was last renovated in the early 80s. The decor is green and brown - the bathroom looks like a cheap motel and the general feel is, well, nasty. The bed is fine as it seems to be only place they choose to put any dough.

I'm here for a conference or else would get out of Dodge as quickly as possible.
Old Jun 12, 2005, 7:13 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Bonvoy Gold, DL Gold
Well since it just got reflagged, I would imagine a renovation is in store. I would be wary of any hotel right after a change in flag, especially before they get a chance to bring it up to brand standards.
Old Jun 12, 2005, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by tdb27
Well since it just got reflagged, I would imagine a renovation is in store. I would be wary of any hotel right after a change in flag, especially before they get a chance to bring it up to brand standards.

Since my last post, highlights include:

1. No hot water from bathroom sink

2. Twice incorrect room service order (which, of coure, inlcuded a 19% service charge "for my convenience")
Old Jun 12, 2005, 11:14 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
This was a dismal property when a HY. Not surprised HY reflagged it -- but why Starwood? IMHO Starwood is flagging too many existing builds which do not meet most SPG expectations.
Old Jun 13, 2005, 4:37 am

Programs: CM Presidential, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Thanks for the warning! This hotel is off my LA list until they get it refurbished.
Old Jun 14, 2005, 2:41 am
Suspended

Stayed there a year ago being a Hyatt Diamond and I have to disagree that the property is so bad.It is an older downtown 3 Diamond poperty with little ambition to get a fourth one, but not the end of the world...
Corner rooms have nice panarama views though.Hertz desk in lobby is very convenient.

The question is, if it is worth it to invest some $$$, I am not an LA expert, but it seems that most of the growth is the area is not taking place downtown.During non conference periods, the Hyatt Regency was often available sub $ 100 on weekdays !

With those rates the hotel is simply burning money and I doubt that a major renovation would result in higher rates, people would prefer better close by properties anyway.

Leaves us indeed with the question why Sheraton decided to reflag it...
Old Jun 14, 2005, 4:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Can you tell us if they had the Sweet Sleeper beds? How about the lounge? I recall using the Hyatt lounge a few years ago and it was nice if a bit small.
Old Jun 16, 2005, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy
Can you tell us if they had the Sweet Sleeper beds? How about the lounge? I recall using the Hyatt lounge a few years ago and it was nice if a bit small.
They did have the Sweet Sleeper beds which were nice - and really stood out as being the only new thing in the hotel in what looks like 20 years.

I had a Club Level room - so you'd think I'd be able to tell you about the lounge. But, when I checked in, I was told that the lounge was closed on Sat and Sun (which was no surprise). I tried to go in on Monday but it was locked. Why? "Because the Hyatt closed it on Mondays, sir."
Old Aug 30, 2005, 12:44 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Bonaventure Does Upgrade

At least for me (Platinum), the Bonaventure is one of the most consistent upgraders. I have about 20 upgrades to suite, one stay when they were truly sold out and I didn't.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.