Search

Name the Sheraton Kiosk Contest

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2004, 2:09 pm
Company Representative - Starwood
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Name the Sheraton Kiosk Contest

Within the Sheraton brand, there is a contest being conducted to name the new Sheraton kiosk check-in and check out kiosk that will be launched soon. As an added bonus to our Flyer Talk members, we are allowing you - as registered users at Flyertalk and as Starwood Preferred Guests - to also participate in this contest to name the Sheraton kiosk. The winner will receive enough Starpoints to stay at any SPG participating Sheraton property worldwide for a week.

To enter the contest, send an email to me at the [email protected] email address with the following information:

1) Your Starwood Preferred Guest account number
2) Your suggested name for the kiosk

Enter as many times as you would like.

Please note, you can post your entry to Flyer Talk if you wish; however, the only way to be officially entered in the contest is to send me an email with the information requested above. I will be accepting entries from now until Friday, March 19th until 4:00 PM CST (US). The winner will be announced by March 31st.

To help with your naming the Sheraton kiosk, here is some background information regarding this upcoming feature soon to be released at a Starwood property near you:

This is a kiosk that we created to allow guests to check in and out of the hotel in under 45 seconds. It is an alternative for our guests in case there is a line at the front desk. The kiosk also gives guests a choice - including automated upgrades when available for our SPG Platinum's. The kiosk can recognize Platinum members from their account number being on the reservation. The kiosk also allows guests the opportunity to select their room based on room descriptions in addition to changing rooms at check in, subject to availability. You can also get your hotel bill via email upon check out.

Best of luck to everyone who enters!

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]

[This message has been edited by Starwood Lurker (edited Mar 18, 2004).]
Old Mar 17, 2004, 2:15 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA Platinum, AS, UA, DL, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTP, Hyatt, IHG Platinum
I think William would be a most appropriate name for the new kiosk.
Old Mar 17, 2004, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by MileKing:
I think William would be a most appropriate name for the new kiosk. </font>
That was actually in the email I just sent Lurker...

Fortunately for me, that wasn't my only suggestion.
Old Mar 17, 2004, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Comet. It's fast. And it's related to stars.
Old Mar 17, 2004, 2:52 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
William, thanks for allowing us to participate in the naming. If the kiosk would let us see info about truly available inventory, and tap that inventory as a Plat. for eligible upgrades, the way some airline kiosks allow us to see available seats, it might actually encourage Plat. use as a win-win alternative to a long upgrade dance with the live agent and/or agent's supervisor.
Old Mar 17, 2004, 2:56 pm
Suspended

my only concern would be if these kiosks are programmed by spg.com's web guru.
Old Mar 17, 2004, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Ocn Vw 1K:
If the kiosk would let us see info about truly available inventory, and tap that inventory as a Plat. for eligible upgrades, the way some airline kiosks allow us to see available seats, it might actually encourage Plat. use as a win-win alternative to a long upgrade dance with the live agent and/or agent's supervisor. </font>
This feature will be targeted.
Old Mar 18, 2004, 2:17 am

Programs: LH Sen // HH Dia; Bonvoy LTTE
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Starwood Lurker:
Within the Sheraton brand, ...</font>
Here is again my usual question if the introduction is planned to be worldwide: I've read that ArabellaSheraton is about to introduce Kiosks in their hotels. According to the article, ArabellaSheraton Grand in Munich has such a kiosk since the beginning of 2004. IMO, it'd be quite bad if there will be different kiosks available in future without a common standard/look-and-feel.

------------------
Pictures from hotel stays
Basic Hotel stays/nights/points calculator
Short overview: KLM FD, LH M&M
Old Mar 18, 2004, 7:33 am

Programs: SPG Platinum; Hyatt Platinum; UA 1K
William,

Here is where I see a potential problem with the kiosk providing honest upgrades:

What happens when a room is available (in the sense that it is for sale on spg.com and other outlets) but it is technically "not ready" due to housecleaning not reporting it as ready for a new guest.

Having experienced just this sort of scam at a Starwood property last month, I imagine the kiosk would make it even easier - "No junior suites available . . .check the kiosk if you don't believe me."

I can imagine some hotels will start a policy of having Housekeeping never return suites to official inventory, instead having some sort of backchannel method of indicating the room is available.

Will the kiosk be able to give info about rooms available pending a delay for housekeeping to clean the room?
Old Mar 18, 2004, 8:02 am
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by VPescado:
Having experienced just this sort of scam at a Starwood property last month, I imagine the kiosk would make it even easier - "No junior suites available . . .check the kiosk if you don't believe me."

I can imagine some hotels will start a policy of having Housekeeping never return suites to official inventory, instead having some sort of backchannel method of indicating the room is available.
</font>
there is always going to be a way for hotels that don't like to upgrade to withhold rooms. i don't see the kiosk impacting that.
Old Mar 18, 2004, 8:59 am

Ae there entry limitations? One per account or is it unlimited?
John
Old Mar 18, 2004, 10:06 am

Originally posted by FCTSTY:
“my only concern would be if these kiosks are programmed spg.com’s web guru.”

I hope they can program in some of the check in experience that I have had with Starwood. Maybe they could make it come up randomly. One time it could be surly, another excellent. Some of the others could be:
Rude
Friendly
Trainee
Indifferent
Efficient
Perfect

Lurker can you assure me that you are not collecting the SPG#’s and flyertalk handles of the entries for any other reason than to determine a winner of your contest? Are there T&C's? Who is picking the winner?
Old Mar 18, 2004, 10:17 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JumboJet:
Lurker can you assure me that you are not collecting the SPG#’s and flyertalk handles of the entries for any other reason than to determine a winner of your contest? Are there T&C's? Who is picking the winner?</font>
he didn't ask for the flyertalk handle.
Old Mar 18, 2004, 10:29 am

Lurker:
"we are allowing you - as registered users at Flyertalk and as Starwood Preferred Guests - to also participate in this contest to name the Sheraton kiosk."

Is there some other way for him to determine if I am a registered user of Flyertalk? Or is this open to anyone that reads Flyertalk?
Old Mar 18, 2004, 11:09 am
Company Representative - Starwood
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
There is an easy way for the immensely paranoid to avoid any perception of impropriety by me: don't enter the contest.

Other than that, if you only send me your account number and your suggested name, how am I going to know what your Flyertalk user id is and match it to that information. Think about it.

Edited to add: I nor anyone else at Starwood cares if you are a registered user at Flyertalk or not. If you are a lurker and want to enter, there is no way for me to know.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]

[This message has been edited by Starwood Lurker (edited Mar 18, 2004).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.