Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Four Points Medellin, Colombia [Master Thread]

Old Feb 26, 2004, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist UA 1K MM, Delta Diamond
Arrow Four Points Medellin, Colombia [Master Thread]

Recently had an experience at this hotel. It is Cat one and only 2-3,000 points. Paid $90 for a suite, $10 more than a regular room. Happy reception, decent room. And even had a mini spa. Like the Four Points Roma (used to be) great value, and much better location, than the useless FP Bogota (which if right by the airport)
Old Feb 26, 2004, 1:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
i agree- a nice suprise in Medellin... it's hard to find good hotels in Colombia
Old Jul 7, 2007, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
4P MDE Update, As Requested

Stayed here once in Nov/Dec 2006 as a paying SPG Plat and more recently in March 2007 as a Gold on points. Was upgraded to a Junior Suite on the earlier Plat stay but there really wasn't anything very suite-like about the Jr Suite, larger than standard room with a larger bathroom/tub and more spacious sitting area. I seem to remember asking about an upgrade to a full suite but the hotel being unable to accomodate the upgrade request due to being sold out and my stay being a long one (9 nights). Would be interesting to see what the real suites are like here; the Jr Suites are certainly nothing to get excited about.

My more recent stay as a Gold (5 night stay on points) had me in what was I think just a standard 1 King bed room. Room was adequate, not that much smaller really than the Jr Suite. Jr Suite had a DVD player, regular room did not. Both rooms had furniture that was worn and in need of replacement (sofa specifically). Beds were merely adequate, neither room had the Four Comfort Bed found in many U.S. Four Points.

I actually preferred the smaller, standard room from my 2nd stay because it was on the north side of the building. The north/west facing side faces the wall of Oviedo mall and an area of residential mid-rise condos across Cra 43C while the south side of the hotel faces a couple of restaurants and bars that were pretty noisy on Thu-Sat nights during the late Nov./early Dec. stay. Choose your room carefully if you're noise-sensitive.

All rates at this hotel (including points stays) include free breakfast buffet on the patio. Breakfast is pretty good: plenty of fresh fruit/yogurt, tons of bread/pastries, very limited assortment of cheeses/meats, 1 or 2 hot dishes or a caldo, plus a station for eggs/omelets/arepas made to order.

Ate at the restaurant for dinner a couple times too when I was too tired to go out and dinner there was good. Definitely not cheap by Colombian standards, but nor is it overpriced by hotel restaurant standards. Speaking of dining, Oviedo Mall right next door to the hotel has tons of dining options ranging from food court fast food, to upscale food court (Cazuelitas is highly recommended), to a nice sit-down restaurant for comida tipica (Hatoviejo). Quickest way to get from the hotel in to the mall is to walk through the Pomona supermarket; I liked the convenience of having a full-service supermarket right next door to the hotel.

Every member of the hotel staff at the Four Points in Medellín was very friendly and helpful on both visits, by the way.
Old Jul 23, 2007, 4:31 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, OW Emerald, HH Diamond
Just completed a 7 night stay at this property. Located in the Poblado section of Medellin, one of the safest/most upscale, this property is situated directly behind one of the nicest malls in Medellin, Oviedo Shopping.

I believe there are 11 stories at this property - I was given a Junior Suite on the 6th floor with so-so views. As already mentioned, the Jr Suite is larger than standard room with a larger bathroom/tub and more spacious sitting area. An upgrade to a bigger room was unavailable due to the Mode Fashion Show which was going on during my trip and the hotel being sold out.

My first five nights were booked on points following by three nights paying a rate of USD$110/nt. Overall, I think this hotel is good value for the money, and great value for the points (currently at a Category 2). Breakfast was included in my rate and offered daily until 10AM at the restaurant on the second floor. Breakfast options included various breads, juices, cereals, a small selection of cheeses/cold cuts and eggs that are made to order.

Free wireless is offered throughout the hotel, but over the course of my eight nights I experienced numerous connectivity issues. I think the hotel has a very small pipe out to the Internet (maybe 512k?) shared throughout the hotel.

The staff is generally very helpful and friendly. There was no problem or extra charge with bringing back an overnight guest for anyone who may end up as lucky as I may/or may not have been .

The overall town of Medellin is excellent for travelers looking for a trip off the beaten path. Overall very secure with many interesting things to see and do. I felt very safe throughout my time there - I was never ripped off by a taxi driver and thought that the value of products and services were still inexpensive despite the weak dollar.

Nightlife is great! Restaurants could use a bit more variety, but overall the provided great value for the money. Any other questions, please let me now and I will be happy to answer.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 6:50 am

Programs: AA, AB, AC, ..., ZZ
I recently stayed at the 4P Bogota and at the 4P Medellin. Very good experience. The service was spectacular. In particular, the Bogota staff went out of their way to help with some non-hotel-related issues. The free breakfast at both places was very good (including a variety of freshly squeezed juices from local fruits, like lulo, guanabana, and papaya), and a nice change from the otherwise uninspiring Colombian breakfasts.

The Bogota location (a few minutes from the El Dorado Int'l AP) is very convenient after a long incoming flight or before a outbound morning flight. Otherwise it's better to stay in the city.

I didn't carry a laptop with me (vacation!), so I used the business centers. It's free in Medellin. They charge a nominal fee in Bogota.

I didn't have a chance to check the Cali FP, but hopefully GHL Hoteles will open more 4Ps in more Colombian cities.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 6:21 pm

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
I am considering this as a more central option
to staying at the IC Medellin on Pointbreaks.

The 3000-4000 Cat 2 rate seems fair enogh,
anybody have recent stay experience to share?
Old May 12, 2010, 9:51 am
Community Director Emerita

I've just spent two nights at this property. Overall, I feel very positively about it. We arrived at the Medellin Airport about 10pm. The airport is some 35 kms from town, up a mountain. It is a fixed price of 52,000 COP (roughly $28) for the taxi to town. It's quite a ride at night, down some tight curves. The city is in a level plain surrounded by mountains.

The hotel is some distance from downtown, in a prosperous area adjacent to a large shopping center as previously reported. There is an adajcent grocery store, and an even larger one in the shopping center. The second one is open 7/24, great for beverages and fruit for the room. We had two one night bookings, the first on points, the second cash to qualify for the summer free night promo. It was just 3000 points for a free weekend night, a very good value. The hotel is immaculate, and the staff cordial. Breakfast was free, whether on a paid or free rate. There were two computers free for guests.

The first night, on our award reservation, we were given a "junior suite". It is simply a slightly longer room with a love seat. We asked for a DVD player and one was brought and installed. I took points as my plat amenity, as the local gifts were schlocky advertising bags or a water bottle. We offered to check out the following morning and check in that evening in hopes of getting a suite. We were told there were three suites being vacated, not to bother to pack, and we could be moved in the evening. Sure enough, one was available. I was then told I could have it for $75 extra. When I reminded them of my platinum status, I was told that it was not available for a platinum upgrade, but only for a paid upgrade. If I chose not to pay for it, they had hopes of upselling late arriving guests. Needless to say, this was an irritant in an otherwise very pleasant stay.

An excellent restaurant is El Herbario, recommended by an FT friend. It reminds me of a Napa Valley bistro, with an extensive, excellent menu. We ate there on Mother's Day, and the place was jammed with Medellin families. Be sure to take a taxi card; it's a bit tricky to find. The restaurant will call a taxi to take you back to the hotel.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 3:23 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, CX DM, SQ Gold
I am about to head up to this property and it only shows smoking rooms ?!

It's shows many different room types at decent price levels so it doesn't appear to be sold out.

Is this an all-smoking property or is this a glitch ?
Old Oct 16, 2011, 1:25 am
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by forumpersona999
I am about to head up to this property and it only shows smoking rooms ?!

It's shows many different room types at decent price levels so it doesn't appear to be sold out.

Is this an all-smoking property or is this a glitch ?
Throwing an educated guess out there, the anti-tobacco laws in Colombia actually state that you are only allowed to smoke in places where you have an unhindered view of the sky. Yes it is a ridiculous way of dictating where you can and cannot smoke.

That said the law has been applied most zealously and you cannot even smoke on terraces and patios with awnings. I would suggest that it is almost certainly a 100% non smoking hotel as are most if not all other Colombian hotels.

Looks like a website error to me
Old Oct 17, 2011, 1:08 pm

Programs: DL Million Miler, Skymiles GM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite
Not to be a Nervous Nelly or subscribe to overinflated hype surrounding the safety of travelling in certain Columbian cities, but can anyone speak to the relative safety of the area around the Medellin 4Points property?

I've never been nervous travelling or walking big cities such as New York, Moscow, St Petersburg or London by myself. But I've heard that some cities like Cali Columbia are unsafe without a local guide, and I want to understand the nature of the surrounding area.

It wont deter me from travelling, just want to know the risks (if any).
Old Oct 17, 2011, 3:06 pm
Community Director Emerita

I stayed at the hotel last year, and felt perfectly safe in the surrounding area. Unfortunately, I felt less comfortable in the main park where many of the wonderful Botero sculptures are. There were a number of vagrants, some of whom were quite insistent panhandlers.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 10:19 pm

I checked in here tonight, I quite like it. Nicer common areas than the 4 points in Santiago, lovely bed and a decent sized room. I got upgraded to the third floor SPG rooms. I have been here four hours and only just realised that I have a patio outside. The room has an odd green sofa which appears to be made of penicillin.

I don't know Medellín at all well, no idea where I am in relation to everything else, big-ish road outside the hotel and next to the Oviedo Mall. A large upscale mall that I have heard of but never been to.

I stayed in the Nutibara last time opposite the Botero Plaza which as SanDiego1K points out is teeming with vagrants, whores and drug addicts. I will see how tomorrow pans out but I suspect I prefer the dregs of society to the bland upscale chunks of Colombian cities.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 8:38 am

Ok breakfast buffet was nice but I'd have to stick my neck out and declare this hotel has a completely sucky location.

It's on a mini intersection with roads converging at different angles so it's real difficult to get your bearings. Finding av poblado is way harder then it ought to be and the concierge directed me through the 2nd floor, past the pool, through the mall, up to the third floor and then ta dah I was completely lost.

When I'd finally found av poblado I'd gone around in so many circles that I didn't know which way to walk along it. So to get from the hotel to a business meeting 6 blocks away up a straight road I had to ask directions 5 times. Between the 4 points and San Fernando plaza where the stockbrokers are, I passed other hotels with far less crappy locations.

As for nightlife, I just walked to parque lleras which is the most obvious gringo hang out and it is an uncool 20 blocks away. There is nothing really near the hotel so bank on being holed up at night hitting the mini bar or cabbing it to somewhere livelier.

Best ditch your allegiance to Starwood in Medellin and go for one of the plush indie hotels with a more sensible location.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
Ok breakfast buffet was nice but I'd have to stick my neck out and declare this hotel has a completely sucky location.

It's on a mini intersection with roads converging at different angles so it's real difficult to get your bearings. Finding av poblado is way harder then it ought to be and the concierge directed me through the 2nd floor, past the pool, through the mall, up to the third floor and then ta dah I was completely lost.

When I'd finally found av poblado I'd gone around in so many circles that I didn't know which way to walk along it. So to get from the hotel to a business meeting 6 blocks away up a straight road I had to ask directions 5 times. Between the 4 points and San Fernando plaza where the stockbrokers are, I passed other hotels with far less crappy locations.

As for nightlife, I just walked to parque lleras which is the most obvious gringo hang out and it is an uncool 20 blocks away. There is nothing really near the hotel so bank on being holed up at night hitting the mini bar or cabbing it to somewhere livelier.

Best ditch your allegiance to Starwood in Medellin and go for one of the plush indie hotels with a more sensible location.
Thanks for the review... 20 blocks away doesn't seem like much... but your review makes it obvious it's better to be closer to the action. I normally stay quite loyal to Starwood... but may have to ditch it in Medellin.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 1:10 pm

TravelinSperry There are some amazing deals in Medellín at the moment including the 4pts which can be had for $80 per night. I was back there a couple of weeks ago and stayed at Leblón Suites for $50 (on booking.com) which was also a nice stay.

Hotel Diez which has an amazing location for leisure stays keeps dumping cheap inventory all over the place. Use a meta search like Kayak and you can pick it up for as little as $42 per night. It's cheaper, better location and just as nice as the 4pts but with a Colombian design twist. They do a nice breakfast too and include good internet in their rates.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.