Report Your Platinum Upgrade Successes 2010

Old Jan 1, 2010, 10:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG plat,Hyatt Diamond,HH gold
Report Your Platinum Upgrade Successes 2010

Originally Posted by kitsura
How many stays at WGS so far? You see to be having better luck than me as my fully prepaid stay can only get a club room which I heard from yosithezet has only a bigger safe from the standard room.
not too much only 4-5 >_<

Moderator note:

'Platinum Upgrade Success' threads for prior years:

Last edited by AZ Travels the World; Jan 2, 2011 at 11:10 am
Old Jan 1, 2010, 10:47 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Sheraton on the Park Sydney. Booked a PArk View Room on a prepaid rate for $225 AUD. First stay as Platinum. Amazed that unlike Hyatt GP I didn't have to ask for an upgrade rather check-in agent said "I see you have booked an Executive Suite." Far too easy!

Chose the SOTP due to flyertalk forums indicating that the Westin Sydney rarely upgrades plats. Also noted T/C's in the key envelope said that upgrade only applies to Rack Rate.
Old Jan 1, 2010, 11:39 pm

Programs: Mucci (for services to Gin), VS Au, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Avis Pref+, Hertz 5*
Westin St. Regis, San Francisco - booked a C+P room, received very nice junior suite in the old building. The room looked like it had been recently redone and was very tasteful in it's appointments.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 3:28 am
Used to be RichardKopf

Programs: SPG LTP/IHG Pl/Hilton D/Shang-Taj D/VA Plat/QFClub/Hertz Pres/Avis Pres
Westin Tokyo

Upgrade from lowest category room at Starwood Privilege rate to suite on club level for 7 nt stay from 1 Jan. A beautiful hotel with exceptional staff. A credit to the GM.

Breakfast in the lounge looked good but at the Terrace restaurant, it was one of the best we've had at a hotel. Service through is generous and helpful.

Internet free in club, otherwise 900yen for Plat. or exec club guest. Breakfast and cocktails included with free soft drinks/espresso all day.

It is a 7-10 min covered walk to the trains but this is an exceptional hotel worth the visit, especially if you are lucky enough to have one of the very few suites.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by yosithezet
... but upon checkin was told they had only an upgrade to a Vista room available.
Yosithezet, am I missing something here? From my read of this page (which appears to be the general accommodation description page), I would have assumed that the Vista room is the minimum room.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 5:16 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
Relative newbie to SPG Platinum, it's been great!

Le Meridian Bora Bora- booked on points, upgraded to Over the Water bungelow, 5 nights (May 2009)
Westin Paris - booked on points, upgraded to Eiffel Tower view room, 5 nights (June 2009)
Westin Mission Hills Resort - booked on points, upgrade to Agave Chairman one bedroom suite, 1 night (Labor Day weekend) GM is Ken Pilgrim
Westin Mission Hills Villas - booked standard one bedroom, upgrade to premium one bedroom, 3 nights (Labor Day weekend)
GM is Jim Moran
Old Jan 2, 2010, 5:29 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum, HH Blue, SPG PLatinum
Smile Sheraton Iguazu

We checked in quite late after visiting the Brazilian side of the falls. We booked cash and points 4,800 pts plus US$90 and classic room and got a falls view suite. Fantastic upgrade to wake up and see the falls from your bed. Breakfast was also included. We asked for late check out however, as it was 31 Dec, we asked for a jungel view room to 4pm and this was granted, We were out hiking until 2.30pm anyway.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 10:34 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Westin Los Cabos
Upgraded from a Deluxe room to a Junior Suite.

Pretty unexpected upgrade as we checked in during the peak period for 4 nights. SPG.com wasn't showing an upgrade prior to arrival, so definitely an unexpected bonus. ^
Old Jan 3, 2010, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG plat,Hyatt Diamond,HH gold
Originally Posted by yosithezet
Just remember it is pending availability. Two days ago I had a suite upgrade showing on SPG.Com for my stay last night at this property but upon checkin was told they had only an upgrade to a Vista room available. As discussed just that morning with kevino, we can come to expect something and become disappointed easily when we only get what we actually reserved. This Vista room was quite nice.
just came back from Chiang mai now at LM BKK upgrade to suite room ^
Old Jan 3, 2010, 2:23 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
Westin Palace Madrid

Westin Palace Madrid- 3 night C+P stay starting on NYE- pre-upgraded to a huge balcony suite on the top floor. A great way to cap off a spectacular year of upgrades and to ring in a new one

Last edited by thepointsguy; Jan 3, 2010 at 2:30 pm
Old Jan 3, 2010, 4:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Diamond, NK Gold, Mariott LT Plat/Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
W New Orleans - Wonderful Room to Spectacular Room.

Four Points by Sheraton New Orleans - Traditional Room to Deluxe Room.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 4:53 am

Le Meridien Bangkok - Regular room (free weekend night award) to Avantec Suite.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 1:30 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Yosithezet, am I missing something here? From my read of this page (which appears to be the general accommodation description page), I would have assumed that the Vista room is the minimum room.

I don't think you missed anything. I just got no upgrade. Anyway, this trip...

Westin Grande Sukhumvit - Cheap corporate rate combined with C+P, arrival on Dec 25. Upgraded to my usual suite with a bottle of champagne bottle sparkling white wine on ice waiting for me.

Plaza Athenee Bangkok - 2 nights C+P, upgraded to suite

Le Meridien Bangkok - 1 night C+P, no upgrade

Westin Grande Sukhumvit - 5 night C+P, upgraded to my usual suite
Old Jan 5, 2010, 2:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Sheraton Cerritos - SET Rate, Executive Suite upgrade (processed before check-in)

Sheraton Delfina Santa Monica - C+P, upgraded to Club Level, corner room with balcony and ocean view, also processed before check-in (new years eve, so suites were unlikely)

Sheraton Cerritos - SET Rate, Executive Suite upgrade (processed before check-in)

Sheraton Gateway LAX - SET Rate, HUGE corner suite (x01 room) (processed before check-in)
Old Jan 5, 2010, 3:01 pm

Programs: Hawaiian Air Fold, Delta Gold, SPG Platinum
Because of the possibility of suite upgrades as well as my expected stays in 2010 being less than the 75 needed to continue to make Marriott Platinum, I had SPG upgrade me based on Marriott platinum from my earned SPG gold to platinum.

My first stay of the year (I spend a week a month in Waikiki on business) at the Sheraton Waikiki got me a 1 bedroom, LR and DR suite (probably 1600 ft2) overlooking the new infinity pool. A large double balcony facing straight out to the ocean and a smaller balcony on the side of the building off the bedroom facing down Waikiki Beach to Diamondhead.

It certainly mitigates my angst at leaving Marriott after so many years.

Perry

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.