Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Destin/Ft.Walton Beach Four Points [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Destin/Ft.Walton Beach Four Points [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2004, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Arrow Destin/Ft.Walton Beach Four Points [Master Thread]

A family member just moved to Fort Walton Beach, FL. As a result, my spouse is pushing for us to change our normal Florida beach vacation to Fort Walton Beach this summer. The only SPG property in the area is the 4 Pt. Sheraton at Fort Walton Beach.

If anyone has been to this property, I'd very much appreciate answers to a few questions:

1. Is this a "nice" hotel or one to be avoided? Is it worth 3-4,000 points/night?
2. What is there to do for a family on the adjacent beach? For example, can you boogie board, collect shells, snorkel, etc?

Thanks for any information!

This option would require significantly fewer points than our normal Florida option. But, I'm actually nervous because of the low point requirement. We would get 2 rooms and stay for a week.

SDFLYER04
Old Mar 23, 2004, 4:12 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Nice but not fabulous. A midscale beach resort. I found it priced just right at Cat. 2. Sugar-white powdery heat-resistant sand--excellent for playing volleyball in bare feet. Best to go in May, June, or Oct. 'cause Nov.--April, the water is too cold to swim in, while in high summer too hot (86--90F) & non-refreshing.

------------------
Play the travel game 3 vacations into the future!
Old Mar 24, 2004, 8:12 am

Programs: CO Plat. SPG Plat
Great beach property for families. Lots of kids, so if that's not your thing, don't stay there. Nice, but not fancy. Great beach, with all the typical water sports: banana boats, parasailing, jet skis, rentable chairs/umbrellas. The property has two pools, two bars, fitness room. Both beach view rooms and "garden" view rooms. Each room has a frig, microwave, sink, cabinet storage. Good service from what I've experienced. I've been recognized as a Plat every time. Also, very good location within the FT Walton / Destin beach zone area. If you require luxury, don't go. If not, it's a great family property. Oh, they also have a kids program during the day with activities, etc.
Old Mar 24, 2004, 10:39 am
CMW

I stayed at this property for a weekend last Aug.

I used points for Sat night and paid for Sunday night. The award night I was in a garden view room. Not so nice although bearable. I asked for an upgrade as a Gold but they were sold out that night. I asked to be moved the next day to a oceanview room which is in a newer building closer to the water. This was much nicer- balcony overlooking the beach , bigger fridge, updated decor.

I would make sure you get an oceanview room.
Old Mar 24, 2004, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the information. It sounds about right for our family in many ways. Would you say it is worth 1000 points per room/night to upgrade to the ocean view tower? We have reservations over the 4th and I'm doubting that status (I've lost most of mine) will get me anywhere.

Also, in reading on the area, it says that there is a limestone reef about 1 mile off shore that is beautiful and covered with shells and sea life. Is it possible to snorkel out to the reef? Finally, are there any waves on the beach on which to "boogie board"?

Thanks again for the great information.

SDFLYER04
Old Mar 24, 2004, 2:17 pm
CMW

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by sdflyer04:
Would you say it is worth 1000 points per room/night to upgrade to the ocean view tower? We have reservations over the 4th and I'm doubting that status (I've lost most of mine) will get me anywhere.

</font>
I would say yes if you can spare the points. That would be an extra 14,000 points (1000 per night times 2 rooms, right)?

I was much happier with tower room than the garden view room and I was only one night in each. I would not have been pleased with the garden view room for 7 nights.

Besides if you're going over the holiday it will most likely be sold out. If you get there and don't like the non-tower room, you would probably have little option to move.

I forgot to mention that you get a free breakfast buffett for 2 persons for each day. Since you'll have 2 rooms that will cover bkfst for 4.

The beaches are beautiful in this part of FL. Enjoy your vacation there.
Old Dec 28, 2004, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA, DL, SPG, Hilton HHonors, Flying Saucer UFO Club
Four Points Destin, Florida

I was in Destin for the holiday and a cashier noticed my SPG Am Ex. He said that the Four Points there was just bought by a developer.

Anybody know anything about this? I was rather hoping that they would put more money/attention into the hotel since it's the only Starwood property in the Destin area.

Nymph
Old Dec 29, 2004, 3:51 pm

Programs: Starwood life Plt, AA Gold.,Delta . ,Priority Plat,IC Ambassador
Great location

I hope this does not mean we lose it? Great location, Plat ug to ocean room everytime, good breakfast...nice price...from low of 69 to high of 89.00 (Inculd breakfast)

Anyone got any info I was going to stay there in Feb.???????????
Old Dec 29, 2004, 3:55 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Delta Platinum
Why not call and find out? Other inquiring minds would like to know as well.
Old May 29, 2005, 6:08 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Any Updates on 4Pts Ft. Walton?

Does anyone have recent info on this property since the hurrican that hit last year? Has the pool reopened? did they renovate the rooms? The website paints a rosy picture.
Old Aug 17, 2005, 8:35 pm

Curious, too!

Anyone know of what shape this hotel is in right now?
Old Aug 18, 2005, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by crsshiplover
Anyone know of what shape this hotel is in right now?
I actually called the hotel yesterday. They were very upfront about what was open and what wasn't. The pool that you see on the SPG site isn't open and they don't have the workout room open right now (waiting on new machines). I'd encourage you to call. They were very nice and very honest about the state of the property.
Old Aug 18, 2005, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

My Opinion after last year's stay

My apologies for forgetting to report on our stay last summer. All in all, we had a good time. But, we don't plan to return, partly because the hotel and beach weren't as nice as we were hoping. Here are some details:

Our first night we arrived later in the day after traveling and found that we were on the 2nd floor in a garden view room section. We had 2 rooms, but they weren't connected so my spouse and I had to split up. In addition, that section does not have an elevator. As a result, at that late hour we had to schlep bags for 6 people up the flight of stairs. In addition, I don't think I'm much of a hotel snob (I've stayed at some amazing places, but on a family vacation I can be happy in your standard Courtyard, Fairfield, and the equivalents). But, these rooms were very old and not very nice at all. They are made out of concrete that has been painted and pictures hung on it at least in some spots. To make matters worse, we found two caterpillars in the room.

The next morning we begged for an upgrade to the ocean front rooms or at least adjoining rooms. They said they could do adjoining rooms in the garden view section. The poor bellman had to move all of our bags without the aid of an elevator. The rooms were still the same, but at least we could put the parents in one room and the kids in the other.

While the bellman moved our bags, we hit the beach. Ugh. What a disappointment. The water near the beach was filled with thick algae. In addition, the beach and close in water were filled with dead fish. Yuck. We learned later that the fish were from a trawler that dumped its bait fish prior to heading into shore and that the fisherman had been fined. But, the algae remained for most of the week, although it thinned some toward the end of the week.

At that point, we considered packing up and heading to New Orleans or even heading home. But, my spouse wanted to stay to visit her brother. So, I begged some more for an upgrade to the ocean view rooms.

Finally, after 3 days, we were moved to the ocean front rooms. Talk about a huge difference. They are new and actually very nice. They have a beautiful view of the gulf and are convenient to the parking and pool. We thoroughly enjoyed these rooms. My wife and I frequently just sat outside on the balcony enjoying the beautiful view of the water.

My kids enjoyed the breakfast buffett. But, I thought it was only OK. Lots of fried food and very little fresh fruit or "healthier" breakfast food. But, the price was right . . . .

As for Ft. Walton Beach, we are glad to say that we've been there. But, we don't plan to return. The water is warm and the beaches are a beautiful white. But, we like to visit beach locations where we can either snorkel or boogie board. The waves here are much to small to boogie board and the algae at that time was pretty gross to swim anyway. We did snorkel on this beach, but there was literally nothing to see but sand. We tried snorkeling near the jetty and we saw some fish. But, it was the sort of place where you felt like you were walking through broken glass to get to the water and then the boats are constantly going in and out of the bay a few yards from where you are snorkeling.

In short, the ocean view rooms are well worth the price/points and offer a nice view of a beautiful beach. We did jet ski and we rented a boat in the bay which were fun. But, this beach is not for boogie boarding or snorkeling which are our favorites. As a result, I doubt we'll return to Ft. Walton Beach.

SDFLYER
Old Aug 22, 2006, 12:27 am

Programs: SPG, AA: PLAT; Hilton: Diamon, UAL: Premier Exec; IC_PriClub; 308 hours flying Boeing 707's
4 Pts Destin DOES NOT HONOR PLATINUM UPGRADE

Checked in to a mostly empty 4 Pts. Destin-Fort Walton Beach tonight. I asked how many suites the property had, the clerk didn't know. I asked if any were available and she said yes. I asked to be upgraded to one and she said they did not honor platinum upgrades for members arriving at low rates like mine. I asked what my rate was and she said $129. I asked what the walk-up rate was and she said $130.

I was told they found an upgrade for me from a parking lot view to a pool view. My room actually looks out on the airconditioners of the pool house. I called the plat concierge line who called the hotel and was told that a manger was not on duty. I called Starwood corporate who called me back with a casefile number, pleased that they were upgrading me to a beachfront room. The Starwood corporate customer service member said that the manager would call me with my new room.

The manager called me to inform me that she could not, indeed give me an upgrade because it goes against this particular 4 Pts. policy. Since I am staying on "Such a cheap rate" the platinum upgrade does not apply. Yes there are suites. Yes there are beachfront rooms, but they are not for me, because I'm only a VIP-2. She explained to me that as a new platinum, I will find upgrades are not guaranteed. She congratulated me on having earned my platinum status and told me that I might have better luck at my next starwood stay. I informed her I have 50 stays and 67 nights so far this year. She said she didn't realize that and thought I must have just become platinum since the corporate customer service called her.

This is my first 3 night stay anywhere (including home) in 6 months. THIS IS THE WORST TREATMENT I'VE HAD IN MORE THAN 100 STAYS AS AN SPG PLATINUM.

When I mentioned my travel staff placed me at a Mariott property, the manager made a strong point: The Mariott property, while newer, does not have a view of the beach. She told me "Nothing is better than waking up to a view of the ocean in the morning." I reminded her I had not been upgraded and I had a view of the air conditioner. She told me those were premium rooms and she could not upgrade me to them. On the website, the upgrade costs $10 more. I asked the night clerk about an upgrade and they said there were plenty of rooms... did I want to switch now. I said heck yes. And he said... but this upgrade only applies to platinums who aren't staying at your rate!

I guess I've made my friends at this property.

PLATINUMS: AVOID THIS HOTEL AT ALL COSTS!

-- CaptainG

Last edited by CaptainG; Aug 23, 2006 at 1:01 am
Old Aug 22, 2006, 11:55 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by CaptainG
...This is my first 3 night stay anywhere (including home) in 6 months. THIS IS THE WORST TREATMENT I'VE HAD IN MORE THAN 100 STAYS AN SPG PLATINUM...
My sincerest apologies and many thanks for contacting Corporate Customer Service. I have asked the SPG hotel coordinator for this property to follow up with them regarding their internal upgrade policies, which would not be in accordance to the Terms and Conditions of Membership if this is how they are enforcing them.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.