Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

FAQ: Yes, it's a Starwood benefit: points for meals without a stay

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 25, 2014, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
Here's the current language on this benefit from the SPG T&C. Note especially the $10 minimum:
2.2.b. When an SPG Member is not staying at an SPG Participating Hotel, charges incurred by the SPG Member for food and beverage (excluding alcoholic beverage purchases where prohibited by law) at restaurants located within or adjacent to SPG Participating Hotels will be Eligible Charges if:
(i) the restaurant permits guests to charge food and beverage on their folios;
(ii) the charges are greater than $10 USD (excluding taxes, gratuities);
(iii) the food and beverage is not in connection with a banquet, meeting or other function that is excluded from Eligible Charges as provided in Section 2.2.a; and
(iv) the SPG Member provides his/her SPG Member number at the time of payment.
Print Wikipost

FAQ: Yes, it's a Starwood benefit: points for meals without a stay

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2010, 8:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker II
Other important issues to take note would be the minimum spendings of USD$10.
Another would be no Starpoints for alcohol in California. So a drink at Olive's at the W Union Square wouldn't get you anything.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 7:40 am

Programs: DL-Gold, Starwood. Previously AA Gold and United Premier Gold, and OnePass
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Another would be no Starpoints for alcohol in California. So a drink at Olive's at the W Union Square wouldn't get you anything.
Heh, I meant Union Square, New York.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 3:29 pm

Programs: Ex-BA Silver; Ex-UA Premier
I had a breakfast this morning in the area just off the lobby in the NY Sheraton on Seventh Avenue. At the counter I handed the clerk my SPG card, but was told to take it with the receipt to the Reception/Cashier. There I saw a copy being made of the receipt and my card showing my number and I was told they would "send it in".
Old Nov 12, 2010, 6:36 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by kappa
was told to take it with the receipt to the Reception/Cashier. There I saw a copy being made of the receipt and my card showing my number and I was told they would "send it in".
I had something very similar happen yesterday at Le Méridien SF. The waiter wrote down my number and said he'd send it to their accounting department. We'll see if/when it posts.

Last edited by mahasamatman; Nov 15, 2010 at 6:20 pm Reason: typo
Old Nov 15, 2010, 4:43 pm

Programs: Ex-BA Silver; Ex-UA Premier
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I had something very similar happen yesterday at Le Méridien SF. The waiter wrote down mh number and said he'd send it to their accounting department. We'll see if/when it posts.
The points I earned at breakfast on Friday, the 12th posted today, Monday the 15th (see above your post). I consider that to be "next day delivery" and I'm set for at least another year.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by kappa
The points I earned at breakfast on Friday, the 12th posted today, Monday the 15th
I'm still waiting for my lunch on the 11th to post.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 2:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AS MVP Gold, AA Plat, SPG Plat
Has anyone had this benefit honored at overseas properties?
Especially interested in experiences dealing with the Asian properties.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by chang9121990
i've got the points at every indian spg property i have dined in....
Old Jul 31, 2011, 8:42 pm

I prevented my SPG points from expiring thanks to this thread! Had lunch at the W Los Angeles in Westwood, sat at the bar. Points never posted despite the bartender taking my card and looking like he knew what to do with it. I never saw him write down the number so I was skeptical...Waited a week without seeing any activity on my account, then emailed the research dept with receipt per FT instructions. Points posted after three days, bingo!
Old Jul 31, 2011, 9:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by chang9121990
I just had this work at a restaurant at the Tokyo Westin. Actually, it was the first time in 10 years of SPG membership that I actually was in the situation of dining at an eligible Starwood restaurant without staying in the property that night. All I had was my SPG number, as I didn't have the card. They could not have been more more gracious, and filled out the form that others have mentioned, and gave me the carbon copy. About two weeks later, the points posted to my SPG account.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Wow, I don't know what it is about me. I have never had the points post without a follow-up.

Mike
Old Aug 1, 2011, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by mikeef
Wow, I don't know what it is about me. I have never had the points post without a follow-up.

Mike
its not just you....even i have never had the points post without a follow-up....
Old Aug 1, 2011, 4:37 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
I've tried this 4 or 5 times. Twice I've gotten "oh, this restaurant isnt actually a part of the hotel, its an independent restaurant, therefore it's ineligible". The other times, they say they will do it, it never actually posts.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 7:16 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
Originally Posted by InfoMofo
Sorry, this policy confuses me a little, and I want to make sure I'm doing this right. So my SPG points are set to expire at the end of this month. If I go buy a 10 dollar drink at Olive's at the W Union Square, and take that receipt to the front desk with my SPG number, will that be enough to extend my points for another year?
Did you ever get the points from Olives at the W Union Sq in NYC? I've spent quite a bit there recently and the waiter/manager had no idea what I was talking about. But given how much misinformation one receives from some of these hotels on a regular basis, I was hoping someone would have some definitive information here.

SPG Platinum desk was no help - "Well, if they said they don't give Starpoints, they must not give them."
Old Aug 16, 2011, 8:27 am

Programs: DL-Gold, Starwood. Previously AA Gold and United Premier Gold, and OnePass
Originally Posted by troyb
Did you ever get the points from Olives at the W Union Sq in NYC? I've spent quite a bit there recently and the waiter/manager had no idea what I was talking about. But given how much misinformation one receives from some of these hotels on a regular basis, I was hoping someone would have some definitive information here.

SPG Platinum desk was no help - "Well, if they said they don't give Starpoints, they must not give them."
No I didn't end up even trying. After reading the largely unsuccessful attempts people have had at other locations, the whole thing seems like it is poorly executed and awkward.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.