Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Montevideo (Closed) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2001, 10:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AA: 2 MM

This will be one of my stops on a (significant birthday) trip next winter. Has anyone stayed here recently who can give me a report on the hotel and Montevideo in general? I haven't been to Uruguay for many years and I would appreciate any information.

------------------
Jeff
Old Sep 5, 2001, 1:53 pm

This may be a little late to be useful for you, but I just stayed at the Sheraton Montevideo and found it to be excellent. Although the location is less central than the other big American chains in town (Radisson and Holiday Inn), it's not bad. The hotel is attached to a fairly big and nice mall, which could be good if you wanted to shop.

In the hotel itself, I found the service to be very accomodating. My room was average-sized, but fairly nice, with a view over the ocean. I'm currently in the Montevideo Radisson, and the Sheraton seemed to be somewhat nicer and better maintained than the Radisson, or at least the older wing that my room is in.

Without having an exhaustive look at the other options, it would seem that the Sheraton may be the best option in town, although I've read of some local (non-chain) hotels that sound very charming and are probably quite nice.
Old Sep 24, 2002, 11:38 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by TrvlGuru:
Anyone with recent Platinum experiences at this property?</font>
Yes. I go there monthly. Let me know if you have any questions...

I LOVE the Sheraton MVD. The staff is great.

As far as the hotel goes, I feel it is a standard Sheraton -- the rooms are clean and "regular" (nothing special). I have been getting 2 room suites with a jacuzzi recently, but I think that's due to my frequent visits... They offer the Platinum Check-in Amenity as well as a welcome gift in your room (could be wine or alfajores).

The location is nice (connected to the Punta Carretas shopping mall).

What else would you like to know ?
Old Sep 24, 2002, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
In relation to the old city centre, where is this hotel located. I find the map is little help. Also, how does one get from airport ot the hotel without a costly taxi ride?
Old Sep 25, 2002, 7:36 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Shareholder:
In relation to the old city centre, where is this hotel located. I find the map is little help. Also, how does one get from airport ot the hotel without a costly taxi ride?</font>
La Ciudad Vieja is a bit of a drive (10-15 mins by car). It is in the opposite direction of the airport (meaning that if you keep driving from the airport, you'll pass the Sheraton on the way to the old city). In a car from the airport, you'll pass Carrasco, Pocitos, Punta Carretas, the US Embassy, Ciudad Vieja, then the port.

From the airport, DO NOT take the airport taxis (they are very expensive). If you are comfortable enough, rent a car (I pay US$30 to 35 per day for a small car). Otherwise, arrange for a Remis (car service -- more bang for your buck).

Hope this helps...

[This message has been edited by hoya (edited 09-25-2002).]
Old Sep 27, 2002, 9:43 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by hoya:
[B]Otherwise, arrange for a Remis (car service -- more bang for your buck).

Hope this helps...
B]</font>
yes it does, how does one arrange a "Remis"?
Old Sep 27, 2002, 10:17 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Sweet Willie:
yes it does, how does one arrange a "Remis"?</font>
The Sheraton MVD can do it for you (at a higher price). If you have some Spanish skills, call the place directly:

Punta Carretas Remises (same company the hotel uses) -- +598-2-711-6983
Old Feb 10, 2005, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Sheraton Montevideo: Any Recent Experience

Hi All,

Looks like I'll be staying at this hotel over President's Day weekend. The most recent thread about this property is well over a year old, so I figured I'd ask for any new information. I booked a room on the executive floor.

Specifically, I am curious about Platinum treatment, the hotel's location (seems somewhat remote, but not too bad) and the overall condition of the hotels (Sweet Sleeper beds?).

Thanks!
Old Feb 10, 2005, 11:25 am

The executive floor is nice. As a Plat, I always get treated well (although I have stayed there extensively over the past 5 years). You will get offered a plat amenity and hopefully a corner suite...

I wouldn't say the hotel is in a remote location (Punta Carretas) -- it might not be the most convenient location if you have meeting in the Ciudad Vieja, but the hotel is connected to a shopping mall...

I was there in December -- a great stay, as always (I really like the hotel, as they treat me very well).

The "condition" of the hotel is very good -- it was built 5 years ago, so it's updated, clean, and "new"...

I hope this helps.
Old Feb 10, 2005, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Thanks hoya, your information was exactly what I wanted to know.

To answer your question from the AA forum, I haven't decided how I'm getting to the hotel, but doubt I will rent a car. I rarely ever rent cars when traveling overseas and and perfectly happy to leave the driving to others. I might booka remise through the hotel to get from MVD and then judge taxi quality before deciding on my return trip.

One final question, does the hotel have Sweet Sleeper beds?
Old Mar 8, 2005, 3:34 pm

Sheraton Montevideo: Platinum Lounge Access but Pay for Benefits

I recently visited the Sheraton Montevideo on an award stay, and was happy to see that as an SPG Platinum member, I was given a room on the Executive Floor upon check-in. No mention of the Executive Lounge. However, when queried, the front desk acknowledged my right of access. Later that evening, my wife and I were surprised to discover that we were asked to pay for drinks consumed while exercising this privilege. I was somewhat annoyed, and knew full welll that this was in violation of SPG's rules that allow Platinum members placed on Club Floors access to the Club Lounge as well as all associated benefits. My wife called the Platinum Line and was connected to a young man from the European Desk who was not too well versed in the SPG programme. He seemed to be of the opinion that award stays do not merit the same privileges as paid stays. To make a long story short, I took the phone, became frustrated and decided to call the Platinum Line when the US office opened in the morning. In the meanwhile, my wife returned to the front desk and asked why we weren't given a suite at check-in, as there were a number of them available for the duration of our stay. After a bit of hemming and hawing, we were moved to a wonderful corner suite on the Executive Floor.

The next morning, to avoid any further frustration on my part, my wife sought out the manager and pleaded our case. After much discussion, she managed to glean breakfast privileges, but nothing more. As it turns out, in the course of their discussion the manager disclosed that she had previously worked at the Sheraton Maria Isabel in Mexico City, where Towers Lounge access for Platinum guests at that property was interpreted in a similarly restrictive manner due to their Towers Floor "hotel within a hotel" arrangement. There has been some discussion of this problem elsewhere on the Starwood forum. The Sheraton Montevideo does not have a Towers configuration. The manager asserted that Platinum upgrades and benefits were interpreted differently in Latin/South America than elsewhere. She wouldn't accept that our previous Platinum experiences at Starwood properties in Mexico and Brazil contradicted her belief.

Nonethess, discussions aside, our stay at the property was quite enjoyable. The suite was lovely, the breakfast in the Lounge quite substantial and the front desk staff very helpful when I had to contact MasterCard, after my card was vigorously removed from my pocket during a stroll in the Old City.

I did subsequently contact Starwood's Customer Care, and today received a note telling me of their failure to force the hotel to provide anything more than a room upgrade to future Platinum guests. They also donated 1,000 SPG points to my rapidly dwindling SPG account. I must say the outcome is rather disappointing, having had almost every previous Starwood stay in my years of loyalty accord me the privileges as dictated by the rules of the SPG programme.

Last edited by flyme2; Mar 9, 2005 at 6:40 am
Old Mar 9, 2005, 4:31 am

Programs: CM Presidential, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
I have actually stayed at this hotel with PAID executive floor room and even being a PLT I was also asked to pay for our drinks and food in the executive lounge one evening.

I agree that breakfast is plentifull and very nice in the lounge and the hotel as a whole very nice. One of the best options in MVD.
Old Mar 9, 2005, 5:37 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
If they consider it a "Towers Lounge", then indeed it can be viewed as a separate entity (as in the case of the Sheraton Hong Kong & Towers). As for paying for beverages, in Singapore at the SGS I was allowed 'one' complimentary beverage (wine) for myself-- but had to pay for the glass of water for my guest and a second wine for myself. This in their Platinum lounge while I was on a regular paid stay as a Platinum. In subsequent posts I found this to be not the norm, but as it was my first time there, I assumed it was hotel policy and thus complied with payment.
Old Mar 9, 2005, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by mauld
If they consider it a "Towers Lounge", then indeed it can be viewed as a separate entity (as in the case of the Sheraton Hong Kong & Towers)...
I may have been unclear, the Towers Lounge reference was meant for the Sheraton Maria Isabel. I've edited my post to more clearly indicate this.
Old Mar 9, 2005, 1:26 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
There appears to be a solid evidence trail of different interpretation of SPG guidelines (T&C, if you must) for a number of Latin American properties. I am keenly aware that this group of hotels is overseen by a separate *wood division, much like Europe or Asia is; nevertheless, consistent issues with upgrades at hotels like the MEX S Maria Isabel gets to be very frustrating.

My position has been this: as long as there is sellable space available on Club Floors or Towers Levels (or whatever -- corner rooms, etc), they should be assigned (based on availability) at check in to Plat members. The S Maria Isabel's argument that the Towers Lounge would be overrun if they permitted Plat members access is a faulty one if they abided by the formula I outline above.

I.E. -- if we have empty Towers rooms available when you check in, then you get one. If we don't, then sorry --- and you won't get access to the Towers Lounge on this stay. Surely that would be a better solution -- -and the hotel has the guarantee of only having the lounge opened to guests staying on the Towers/Club floors.

Even this, admittedly, is outside of how I read the SPG T&C, but it is clearly an improvement over the Maria Isabel solution of allowing NO ONE access to the lounge except paying Towers Guests.

This has been just about the only area where Starwood has let me down. They appear to be aware of this skirting of the benefits on the part of the hotel (and a quick search will bring up scads of statements like the OP's above where staff members of the Maria Isabel are not shy about advising guests that they play by a different set of rules and are exempt from some of the ones we're all used to.) I wish this would get resolved or at least competently addressed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.