Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Left Dec 30, 2009: Westin Rotterdam [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2001, 8:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: KLM Platinum, BA Gold, ex-HHonors Diamond, Starwood SPG Gold (ex-Platinum), StarChoice

Does anyone have any experiences with this brand new Westin property? Decent rooms? Decent service? Any nice perks for Platinum Elites?

I'm currently living weekly at Hilton Rotterdam and I'm considering a move.
Old May 8, 2001, 1:35 pm
Original Member

I stayed at this hotel at the end of October, shortly after they opened (I think). I was upgraded (as a Platinum) to a very nice junior suite, and given some amenities (I cannot remember what). I had no problem checking in early in the morning. The complementary breakfast was very nice. I would definitely stay at this site again.
Old May 9, 2001, 3:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: KLM Platinum, BA Gold, ex-HHonors Diamond, Starwood SPG Gold (ex-Platinum), StarChoice
Originally posted by egelman:
The complementary breakfast was very nice. I would definitely stay at this site again.
Thanks, egelman - I booked yesterday and will be giving them a try this evening. Will report back here...
Old May 10, 2001, 2:42 am
Original Poster

One day later:

Checked-in yesterday and I'm very impressed by the services provided: upgrade to a luxurious junior suite and plenty of amenities offered (bouquet of fresh flowers, sparkling and still water, red wine, fruit basket, etc ... ) ...

I really felt welcome at the Westin, and the Hilton can say an instant good bye to my weekly business there, as I find the Hilton Rotterdam stingy with amenities, even for Diamond VIPs.... Starwood here I come!
Old May 12, 2001, 3:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
I have a conference in Rotterdam next May -- just returned from this year's version in Cape Town [no Starwoods, sigh, had to do Holiday Inn and InterConti] -- and noticed the Westin is listed as one of the hotels being used. Hope they are as accommodating to me next year when I expect to be a Platinum elite.
Old May 13, 2001, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally posted by Shareholder:
Hope they are as accommodating to me next year when I expect to be a Platinum elite.
As of Thursday last week they also have free breakfast for Platinums (and that is one generous buffet breakfast). Again; a highly recommendable hotel in that city...
Old Sep 22, 2002, 3:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, IHG Elite KLM Flying Blue,
Arrow LEAVES DEC 30, 2009: Westin Rotterdam [Master Thread]

Stayed here for a short weekend. The Westin is convenient located opposite of the Central Stations, so outstanding public transportation is in front of the hotel.
I had made reservation for an executive room. I assumed this room, which was €26 higher is price would be more spacious.
Entering the room on the high floors, the space was rather limited. At first sight I felt the room was too small for an executive room. The style of the furniture is very modern, which I do not prefer. After calling to the reception, the friendly receptionist told me all rooms were this size and had this style, if I wanted I could take an expensive suite, witch I did not want to.

A welcome letter of the manager, with some chocolates, was on the table.
There is a turndown service, and they give you a small box of delicious chocolates!

The bathroom was really nice, had a separate shower. Even a small vase with a rose was inside.

The service is very good, the personnel is very friendly and the give the service with a smile. Food in the Light bar was excellent and the service is just perfect.

Room service seemed to be slow, due to a busy hotel, according to the man of the room service. Had to wait for 45 minutes for a glass of wine.

Overall: the rooms are to small for me, did not like the modern style.
Service is very good and friendly, food is delicious and has a good price.
Location is perfect
Old Sep 23, 2002, 10:40 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
Thanks for the update. I was planning on staying here for one night during the US Thanksgiving holiday. As I would be coming by train from AMS, I'm glad to hear of its location. Any restaurants you can recommend nearby? I generally like newer/more modern hotels so glad to hear of your impressions.
Old Sep 23, 2002, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Fodors has some pretty good reviews of Rotterdam restaurants, many of them are actually very good though not all situated in the city center.

http://www.fodors.com/miniguides/mgr...ur_section=din

Old Dec 29, 2002, 7:33 am

Yeah, I would second the review. The hotel is pleasant enough, but the rooms are tiny. I guess as a Plat, I got one of the higher-floor rooms, but this has to be the smallest hotel room I've ever stayed in anywhere.
Old Dec 29, 2002, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
I think this is a superlative Westin property, and can't understand the problem people have with smaller rooms. Mine was more than adequate for a two night stay, had a great view, was well furnished and laid out to make the best use of space. SMALL IS BEAUTIFUL, and this puts the Rotterdam Westin in league with the Vancouver Grande. Quality over quantify.

I also received a nice bottle of Rioja in addition to the chocolates. And since my bag was delayed by BD, the staff even offered me extra toiletries, and a selection of shirts to wear. Fit very well, too.
Old Jun 13, 2004, 11:36 am

Thumbs up Starwood Rotterdam Biking for UNICEF.2e review of the Westin Rotterdam

Starwood Rotterdam Biking for UNICEF.2e review of the Westin Rotterdam:

Just this weekend I had a 2e stay in this hotel. I had stayed here last year, and I experienced the room to be tiny. Upon check – in I asked for a larger room if possible. The nice receptionist told me first an upgrade to the SPG floor, 7th floor, was made. Then she told me she did find a larger room!

The room ( a -02 room) was indeed spacious for this hotel, it had a larger sitting area, with large windows with view of the city of Rotterdam. Two comfy blue chairs and a table with various magazines. A modern desk, and when working here the view is just great.
There were two large Heavenly beds, a big Philips color tv / radio. I was happy the radio did play classical music ( Radio 4).

The bathroom was spacious with a separate shower and bathtub. I had a very relaxing bath, when using the bathfoam ( half a bottle) you get a lot of foam….. and listening to the classic music ( there is a speaker in the bathroom) or whatever music you like, you can “ drift away” soaking in this nice bath….

When checking – in I received a voucher for a glass of champagne in the Lighthouse bar. It was a very nice gesture! I used it after unpacking my bag. The champagne tasted very good, it was served with some small fruits. (strawberry )
After this I ordered a small lunch. I ordered the tortilla wrap with tandoori chicken, I liked it! It was served with two dressings. I asked if I could have a cappuccino after having the tortilla, and so it happened! I did not have to order it again, they just remembered. I think that’ s great.

The fitness room seemed to have more machines now, and I made use of it: the step-machine, the row-machine, the bike-machine, another machine to strengthen the upper-arms and shoulders, and a machine with multi purposes, f.i. leg-extension. The are some lockers and showers next to the fitness.

Breakfast in the Lighthouse is a feast, the quality of the food is very good. The view from the restaurant of the central station is nice.
On this Sunday morning most of the guests were entering the breakfast room at the same time! So it seemed to be a little chaotic.
Personnel was very nice and service minded. The price of the breakfast in this nice restaurant was reasonable, only €22!

One lady of the personnel told me that the Starwood personnel were going to make a sponsored bike trip to Amsterdam: first to Sheraton Amsterdam Schiphol and second to the Pullitzer! They hoped to earn a lot of money for UNICEF this way. I think this is a great and wonderful attitude of these Starwood men and women! I do hope they will collect a lot of money.

The Westin Rotterdam, is very convenient located in the city of Rotterdam. It is just in front of the Central Station, and no noise is heard from the trains.
It is only 15 minutes walking to the interesting Boymans van Beuningen museum and “ Kunsthal” . It is close the Euromast, where you can have a spectacular view of Rotterdam.

Some remarks:
I did have to get used to the dark purple corridors again. I like the corridors more brightly, since they seem to feel rather narrow and dark. I know it is very subjective.
Sometimes I had to wait long in the Lighthouse bar when having lunch or a drink.
When making experimentations with the elevators, it is correct to let the guests know that they are out of order for a while. I waited for 10 minutes and called the concierge, then I had to wait again. Then I was called back: I had to use the emergency stairs and they would pick me up at ground level to get out! I was just confusing, waiting for the elevators not knowing what happened. No excuses were made.

Overall: I had a very comfortable and relaxing stay in the Westin Hotel and would like to return.

Last edited by claes059; Jun 14, 2004 at 9:41 am
Old Nov 21, 2004, 3:27 pm

Thumbs up Pics&review of the pleasant Westin Rotterdam

Stayed here for the 3th time (October) in Rotterdam. Checkin was efficient and friendly. I was upgrade to a nice SPG cornerroom ( 703) with a view on the Euromast.
I did receive a welcome card and some strawberries. Nice to be a returning guest of this hotel.

See my pics: http://www.e-traveller.net/pics/2004...m-Sheraton.php

Service is friendly in the restaurant/bar Lighthouse. We had a nice afternoon here, drinking tea in large comfy chairs.

There was a small problem with my reservation for dinner that evening, since for the most tables there were reservations. We could have dinner much later in the evening. Instead we took the roomservice.
Roomservice is fast and very decent. Prices tend to be relatively high however. Relatively, since the Euro has made everything expensive i.m.o.
I was glad they served the red Molina wine from Chili ( wines of the world).

Next evening they made it up for me. A very nice lady ( from Suriname?) recognized me from my recent visits and she arranged they served me dinner in the restaurant which was closed ( on sunday). Quality of the food is very fine.

Ofcourse they have the heavenly beds here, and.... heavenly it was!

Checking out was efficient too. What did strike me was that the receptionist told me, most businessmen do not mind if they have a small room ( standard rooms are rather small here).....

All in all, I had a great stay in the hotel!

see my pics: http://www.e-traveller.net/pics/2004...m-Sheraton.php
( with the kind help of LH 738)
Old Apr 4, 2005, 10:53 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LifetimeTitanium, UA Plat 2MM, LHW LeadersClub, IHGPlat, HiltonDiamnd, ASMVPG100K, WyndDiamnd
Originally Posted by Aggie
Any reviews?

I am new to SPG -- just got gold status with AMEX?

What should I expect -- upgrade? lounge access?
Nice modern property. Friendly staff. I was there about a year ago.

I do not remember a lounge. Did not get a suite, but that would not happen as a gold anyway.

Great location, right across from the train station.
Old Apr 5, 2005, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Got upgraded to a JS, but that was just after it opened in 2001/2 so demand probably weak. And it was a weekend!

Lovely hotel, although I have read in other posts since that the standard rooms are a little small. The Hilton etc all date from the 1970's (possibly earlier) so this is your safest chain bet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.