SPG Hot Escapes (Pre-launch discussion)

Old Oct 1, 2013, 12:36 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy
Original Poster

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...

This thread relates to the pre-launch 'sneak-preview' of SPG Hot Escapes.

The full 'launch' discussion can be followed here.

Last edited by Oxon Flyer; Oct 14, 2013 at 5:02 am
Old Oct 2, 2013, 1:34 am

Programs: SPG Plat, HH Gold
Introducing SPG Hot Escapes [Replaces Starpicks and beatthetimer]

Is this the end of Starpicks???

http://www.spghotescapes.com/
Old Oct 2, 2013, 2:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SgFred
Is this the end of Starpicks???

http://www.spghotescapes.com/
Love all the hotels proudly promoted with "0% savings"

was USD 228.50, now USD 201.46 = 88% Savings
Is there a mathematician in the house ?
Old Oct 2, 2013, 7:42 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Website is quite buggy. Any ideas when it will actually be up and running? U$220 at W NY is not bad for this time of year, so will try to book when I can...
Old Oct 2, 2013, 8:12 am

Programs: US CP, AA Plat, DL Silver, EY Gold, Kimpton IC, SPG Plat
I'm not sure what SPG IT is thinking but they need to invest in some quality control.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 8:27 am
Original Poster

Following through one of the featured hotels gives an interesting insight :

I got all the way to the final 'Book' button, but, as these are non-cancellable rates, was not brave enough to click.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 8:55 am

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Seems this consolidates Starpicks and the Beat-the-timer promotions in one place...for the hotels I checked there was no BTT-rate available any more when the Hot Escapes were offered. When it was not available, however, BTT-rates still showed up.

Greetings - Dirk
Old Oct 2, 2013, 9:06 am
Suspended

I don't get this. These are the same rates as just searching spg.com. Also, the math is way off!
Old Oct 2, 2013, 9:27 am

Location: SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold:AA Plat, Now retired but previous NWA PLAT 2 Million +, United 1K plus etc etc
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Love all the hotels proudly promoted with "0% savings"

Is there a mathematician in the house ?
No kidding..all their % savings claims are way wrong??

Can we do a BRG on their posted % off listings..ignore the price ie
They say that W Visques is 99% off reg $349 now $344.80
I want the 99% off they are advertising !!!
Old Oct 2, 2013, 9:30 am

Location: SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold:AA Plat, Now retired but previous NWA PLAT 2 Million +, United 1K plus etc etc
HOT ESCAPES

Maybe change the name as well...Toronto and Chicago over the next 6 weekends are not HOT escapes...winter escapes maybe..I first expected to see all HOT tropical locations
Old Oct 2, 2013, 9:38 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by djohannw
Seems this consolidates Starpicks and the Beat-the-timer promotions in one place...for the hotels I checked there was no BTT-rate available any more when the Hot Escapes were offered. When it was not available, however, BTT-rates still showed up.

Greetings - Dirk
That's great - I'd rather have all the special rates (beatthetimer, starpicks) all in one place. It's annoying to have to bounce around. Now if only they'd place the deals on the hotels offer pages in the search too - we'd have something.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 10:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Why is it that the majority of hotels I see do not have a special SPG rate?
Old Oct 2, 2013, 10:23 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
There was a message on the Starpicks page earlier saying that they were becoming Hot Escapes, with the replacement running from Wednesday to Saturday instead of Tuesday to Friday.

It looks like some similar(ish) lead in rate to the Starpicks rates, but we will need to see what actually happens when it is launched with live data.

The SPG member additional saving is a nice touch, especially if rates are in line with Starpicks rates, thus offering a genuine benefit to us.

I'm keen to see what happens with this new program. Hopefully it will be a decent evolution from Starpicks.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 10:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by RAPC
There was a message on the Starpicks page earlier saying that they were becoming Hot Escapes, with the replacement running from Wednesday to Saturday instead of Tuesday to Friday.

It looks like some similar(ish) lead in rate to the Starpicks rates, but we will need to see what actually happens when it is launched with live data.

The SPG member additional saving is a nice touch, especially if rates are in line with Starpicks rates, thus offering a genuine benefit to us.

I'm keen to see what happens with this new program. Hopefully it will be a decent evolution from Starpicks.
So far, I'm not a fan. The hotels seem to be listed in random order, so that it's not easy to check for nearby options. Also, some city hotels can be romantic, etc., so that the division into categories almost forces one to check several places to ascertain whether a hotel is participating in a given week.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 10:37 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
So far, I'm not a fan. The hotels seem to be listed in random order, so that it's not easy to check for nearby options. Also, some city hotels can be romantic, etc., so that the division into categories almost forces one to check several places to ascertain whether a hotel is participating in a given week.
Sorry, I didn't cover that part in my response. The current interface doesn't work at all in that regard and I fully agree with your comments.

Give me the old Starpicks list format as an option and I will be happy. I'm just remaining open minded until it is actually live, as hopefully they will have a better way of presenting the information at launch.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.