Booking rooms during the Super Bowl?

Old Sep 6, 2012, 6:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver SPG Lifetime Gold
Booking rooms during the Super Bowl?

Has anyone had any luck booking a room during the Super Bowl? It appears all of the SPG hotels in New Orleans are booked during the week-end of Feb 1st 2013.

Is it possible to use a Platinum override?

Thanks
Old Sep 6, 2012, 6:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Not a chance. Where are they supposed to walk the people you bump with all hotels booked solid?
Old Sep 6, 2012, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Most likely the SPG Ts and Cs won't allow use of the override during special events.

All major chains have likely committed their room blocks to whatever entity controls hotel rooms during the SB period. I'm not sure when any unclaimed rooms would get released.

When the 49ers played in the SB in New Orleans (1990 maybe) triends of mine stayed in Pensacola and drove in.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
2013? - good luck. There are only 5 properties left with rooms available for 2014. Booking a SB room is an August ritual, though I passed this year as my parents live less than 20 miles away from MetLife Stadium
Old Sep 7, 2012, 5:34 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Originally Posted by CPRich
2013? - good luck. There are only 5 properties left with rooms available for 2014. Booking a SB room is an August ritual, though I passed this year as my parents live less than 20 miles away from MetLife Stadium
Do they have any Cash and Points availability?
Old Sep 7, 2012, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by chrisinacton
Has anyone had any luck booking a room during the Super Bowl? It appears all of the SPG hotels in New Orleans are booked during the week-end of Feb 1st 2013.

Is it possible to use a Platinum override?

Thanks
It's almost certain that properties applied for - and SPG approved - an extraordinary demand date exception to the Plat override policy.

If you have some flexibility keep checking. Some parties with large pre-reserved room blocks may return a few rooms. A few posters cited successful redemptions for the London Olympics.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 6:27 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Keep Looking

The history of special events is that all rooms are blocked well in advance (likely most properties are booked solid for 2014, let alone 2013). But, as the date nears, rooms do open up. But, it takes constant looking to find them when they do. The rates will be high and will usually require 3+ night minimum. No awards, no special deals, no amenities and the like.

The other thing is to coordinate air because those flights tend to be booked as well and, as the date nears and availability opens, it tends to be at F/Y with no discounts.

Last place to try is through clients, TA's and the like. They may have access to blocks and, depending on relationships, may part with some of that access. But, cash is king. You will be paying 100% upfront non-refundable, so make sure you've got travel insurance.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver SPG Lifetime Gold
Great advice- thanks everyone!
Old Sep 7, 2012, 7:02 pm

Programs: SPG PLAT, MARRIOTT PLAT, AMEX PLAT
Super Bowl Rooms

Was able to book rooms last week at W Downtown for Super Bowl 2014. Waited too late for Super Bowl 2013 in NO...luckily my travel agent still had rooms available at the Hyatt, but with a 3-night min. SPG rooms were all sold out.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
If you have some flexibility keep checking. Some parties with large pre-reserved room blocks may return a few rooms. A few posters cited successful redemptions for the London Olympics.
I had a suite at the Le Meridien in London booked for the first half of the olympics that I gave up 4 months out. Couldn't go due to family commitments. I can't tell you how much it pained me to call and cancel that res. I booked that suite the week booking opened before they even had any had any blocks on the rooms.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 11:58 am

Programs: A bunch
I am looking for a room in New Orleans for the super bowl too and I guess I started waaaay too late huh??? lol!

My question is does everyone just book refundable rooms the second the superbowl location is announced and then if their team doesnt make the game they just cancel the room??
Old Jan 31, 2013, 6:10 pm

Programs: SPG PLAT, MARRIOTT PLAT, AMEX PLAT
If you are still looking for a room...someone cancelled out today so my friend has 1 double-bed room available immediately.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Don't forget Mardi Gras is happing now in NOLA too, so there is a double hex on room availability. Not to mention the madness of those two crowds converging upon the French Quarter. Glad I'm NOT going this year!
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:45 pm

Programs: Don't you know who I am????
Off topic, but maybe helpful, Choice is advertising on their site that they still have rooms available. Of course with Choice that could be anything from a sub-Bates to a very nice Cambria, YM-Really-MV with that brand....

Cheers
Old Feb 1, 2013, 5:41 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Sheraton NY is the SuperBowl HQ for next year, so get your reservations in now!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.