Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Meadowlands-E. Rutherford, NJ [Master Thread] (Leaving Starwood 15 Nov 2013)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Meadowlands-E. Rutherford, NJ [Master Thread] (Leaving Starwood 15 Nov 2013)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2011, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, SPG Plat
Arrow Sheraton Meadowlands-E. Rutherford, NJ [Master Thread] (Leaving Starwood 15 Nov 2013)

I stayed here weekly for several months ending last November. Overall there is nothing special about the hotel, but liked the proximity to the office I was working in.

High
-The service was always very good for me. Staying there a lot, they always recognized me by name, and even when they didn't, I was well taken care of.

Low
-There is nothing near this hotel, it is surrounded on four sides by highway.
-The restaurant in the hotel is pretty bad. Food is below average and prices are high. I recommend you rent a car and drive over to Hoboken to eat.

Average
-The rooms are okay, clean and simple, after the upgrade, but not lush by any stretch. They have tube TVs, but the bathrooms are nice.
-The gym is okay, 3 treadmills and some free weights.
-Club lounge is nothing special, but they do have free water and drinks.

Overall, it was a great hotel for my needs. If you are looking for a nicer hotel for comparable prices, check out the Lincoln Harbor in Weehawken. Service is not as good, but the rooms are better.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 1:08 pm

I had a 2 night stay on last Dec.

Location is not very good, however the hotel provides scheduled shuttle bus to Secaucus Junction train station, so 10 more minutes ride to NY Penn Station

A Starbucks off the lobby : if you decline housekeeping service for that day you receive a $5 voucher for using at that starbucks

The room is larger than those in NYC.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 4:50 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
Thanks for the reports. Based on what the both of you have reported I'll keep my reservation here.

Looking for a weekend with Mrs. dcstudent in NYC. Attracted to the Meadowlands because of its free parking and shuttle to Secausus....Oh, and the $115 nightly rate!
Old Mar 9, 2011, 7:49 am

Programs: Bonvoy - LIFETIME!!! Titanium ; AA - Platinum 2 Million Miler;
Sheraton Meadowlands - Warning to Business Travelers (Internet Speed)

I know there is another thread regarding properties with slow internet access but I wanted to bring special attention to the SPG community about the incredibly unacceptable internet access at the Meadowlands Sheraton in NJ.

I checked in last night and found difficulty connecting to the wireless internet offered by the hotel. After a call to the front desk and a transfer to the Lodgenet 1-800 number it was found that the bandwidth connection for this hotel, coming into the hotel for the entire property is less than you would receive for your home cable modem. For the ENTIRE property. This translated to a 48kb download speed, equivalent to a moderate dial-up modem connection.

Since I was supporting a client last night and needed to VPN into the company server, the connection speed would not even remotely work for me. So I decided to leave the hotel and check in at the Jersey City Westin for the night. Their internet speed was the standard high-speed connection offered by most Sheraton and Westin properties so that quickly solved the problem once on site at the Westin.

What bothers me about the Meadowlands hotel is that both the front desk staff and maintenance staff are fully aware of the poor quality of their internet and although they were good and supporting employees of the company, they readily admitted the speed issues. It took about 2.5 hours of going back in forth with the Manager on Duty to have her finally decide to comp me the night and release me from my stay. She would not "walk" me to another SPG hotel in the area because their rates were $20 more.

The end result was about 3.5 hours of lost work time for my client from the time of check in until the time I got settled at the Westin.

So if your travels bring you to the Northeastern part of NJ, I highly recommend you stay away from this hotel if you would like any potential of getting work done in your room.

This was my worst experience at any Starwood property in well over 200 nights in the last four years. Terrible job of handling the situation and terrible customer service.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 9:15 pm
GB

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton GLD
Staying here this week. Old hotel. Service is very slow and stretched. Rooms are very dated and tired. Internet speed is horrible. This will be my last stay here.
Old Oct 8, 2011, 12:22 pm

Programs: LAN, AA, SPG
Originally Posted by GB
Staying here this week. Old hotel. Service is very slow and stretched. Rooms are very dated and tired. Internet speed is horrible. This will be my last stay here.
I am surprised that they still have not done anything about the internet speed; it's not as though it were a new issue. Anyway, I am grateful that you mentioned it so that I will not stay there on an upcoming trip --- so thanks!
Old Mar 23, 2012, 11:10 am

Programs: AA 2.7MM LTP, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Nat'l Emerald Exec)
I have been here for two nights a week for the past month +.

Nice hotel, nice people, but the internet is absolutely unlivable. Many rooms have no wifi connection, and there are no Cat5 cords either. If it weren't for my ATT WiFi hotspot, I would have been out of business.

I have complained to the manager, last time it got me 2500 SPG points. That is nice, but really, how about some internet?
Old Mar 23, 2012, 12:35 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Originally Posted by EleanorMcDaniel
I have been here for two nights a week for the past month +.

Nice hotel, nice people, but the internet is absolutely unlivable. Many rooms have no wifi connection, and there are no Cat5 cords either. If it weren't for my ATT WiFi hotspot, I would have been out of business.

I have complained to the manager, last time it got me 2500 SPG points. That is nice, but really, how about some internet?
Maybe they'll upgrade it for Tebow?
Old May 4, 2012, 7:14 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Frequent Traveler's University attendees not well treated by property
Old May 4, 2012, 2:25 pm

Programs: Delta,SPG, Hyatt
Wasnt even upgraded to club floor room. No room in water. ehhhh, this place is for the birds and I am here till Tuesday. Why didnt I choose a closer hotel?
Old May 13, 2012, 6:55 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
I'm looking to do an overnighter because of a connection at EWR. Looking around, this seems to have the best cost/points ratio for a SPG hotel. The website advertises a free shuttle to/from EWR. I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with this?

Or, after reading through the comments, should I just fuggetabutit and book the Hilton EWR instead?
Old Jun 25, 2012, 4:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3 Million/ex-many year GS, AA PLT/2 Mil, AS MVPG, HH Dia, Starwood Life Plat, Hertz PC
Just did a night here as it was convenient location-wise. Internet access still seems to be quite poor - very slow. No water in rooms - how hard is that to fix? Nothing in lounge after hourse but water (usually I find a diet coke or something in the cooler for late arrival folks). Breakfast in lounge was sub-average for these types of properties (coffee machine broken, poor danish selection). And the place looks third world on the room floors - really needs a simple coat of paint. Doors and walls covered with chips - just generally shabby. I don't generally get bothered by blemished interiors if the overall hotel is ok but really this place just looks seedy inside - it degrades the Sheraton brand.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 7:14 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Underwhelmed with a 1 night stay on an airport layover. As a plat wasn't upgraded to anything and the lounge was sparse I would say for their happy hour etc. There should be better options for those in NJ and will give this property a pass next time
Old Jul 18, 2012, 4:43 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Question recent experience

I am considering a stay at this property in the fall. Would like to hear from FT's with more recent stay experience.
On paper, the Meadowlands looks like a great place to stay:
- free parking;
- free shuttle to Secauscus NJ Transit stn;
- frequent trains to Manhattan.
On the other hand, the reviews are terrible! Is it really that bad?
Old Jul 24, 2012, 6:55 am

Programs: AA 2.7MM LTP, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Nat'l Emerald Exec)
Originally Posted by Antonio8069
Is it really that bad?
I continue to stay there a couple nights a week as it is close to my office.

I am a starpoints fiend, and I am considering giving up and staying at the Renaissance until this hotel gets remodeled.

Yes, it is that bad.

Lovely people work there, but the infrastructure is horrid, including and especially the internet.

Oh, the parking is lovely, that is new.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.