Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to get Platinum?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2011, 4:19 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by NYTA
Because Accor gave it to me for free and it makes me more likely to stay with them, and given how much I have charged on my Starwood card since I have had it, they should give me Platinum for life.
That's because A|Club is perhaps the worst hotel loyalty program. As for the rest of your comment, where to begin?!
Old Nov 29, 2011, 4:56 am

Programs: SPG Plat & IC Amb
... and given how much I have charged on my Starwood card since I have had it, they should give me Platinum for life.
Just wondering how much do you charge on this card per year on average?
Old Nov 29, 2011, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Because Accor gave it to me for free and it makes me more likely to stay with them, and given how much I have charged on my Starwood card since I have had it, they should give me Platinum for life.
You will not find too much sympathy for your request. Accor status is not worth talking about and you good a ton of points for for spendings on your card - so what are you seriously asking for??
Old Nov 29, 2011, 9:34 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
You do not necessarly need the full number of stays to become platinum. If you just joined SPG and race through the gold status and it is end of the year and you are missing a few stays to become a platinum SPG might send you a nice christmas present. Happend to me.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 9:53 am

Programs: SPG-Marriott Titanium Elite
Why one would need Plat status if he's not staying at an SPG property? To show around and do an pale imitation of George Clooney in Up in the Air?

Seriously, you can't compare SPG and Accor, unless you're staying at major center cities in North America. Otherwise the Accor properties in smalltowns, USA are Motel 6, which the last time I checked was not yet to par with 4P by SPG...
Old Nov 29, 2011, 12:02 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
You realize that your SPG Amex is a product offered by American Express, not Starwood, right?
For your use of the card, American Express is purchasing Starwood points.

Accor's platinum status is nothing close to SPG's.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 12:42 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, WN CP, Many Others
.....but wondering if there is some promo code to get to platinum - through Amex or otherwise....
When you find the "promo code" let me know, also please let me know the promo codes for top tier status with all the airlines as well....
Old Nov 29, 2011, 12:49 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Starwood Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
The only way to get Platinum status without the normal stays/nights is to enroll in the Platinum Challenge. This requires 18 nights in 3 months. It will then give you status for the remaining year plus the following calendar year. Status actually expires in February, so if you earned your 18th night January 2, 2012, you would keep your platinum status until February 2014. Only paid stays count.

You can read my prior blog post for more details on enrolling: http://boardingarea.com/blogs/dealsw...num-challenge/
Old Nov 29, 2011, 1:02 pm

If you spend so much money on the card, why do you need Platinum Status? You can get all the benefits by paying a bit more.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 1:45 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Emerald Exec., PC Plat, AA, CO, DL, UBS Charter Card, Palladium Card, Amex Plat
Out of curiosity, how much is your yearly spend on the SPG card?
Old Nov 29, 2011, 2:17 pm

Programs: Co-branded credit card status moocher
Originally Posted by HmmDonuts
sent is correct.
The SPG card does not automatically get you gold.
In fact, it doesn't get you anything status-wise, unless you decide to put $30K worth of spend on the card to get gold status.
Well, it gives you "Preferred Plus" status, which I believe is basically the same as Gold, minus the 3 Starpoints/dollar spent.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 5:57 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Emerald Exec., PC Plat, AA, CO, DL, UBS Charter Card, Palladium Card, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Vaitrucci
Well, it gives you "Preferred Plus" status, which I believe is basically the same as Gold, minus the 3 Starpoints/dollar spent.
Yea only real difference.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 7:13 pm

If you really want to be SPG Platinum, it will require actual stays, whether through a challenge or the appropriate number of stays for a year, but other than that no other shortcuts or cards will do it. Most of us think it is worth it. YMMV.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 2:48 pm

You need to stay either 25 stays or 50 nights

Originally Posted by UA 100K
no chance - you need to stay 25 stays
Old Dec 6, 2011, 4:33 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

If you really have that much spend on your Starwood card, you can afford the 23 award stays (or 45 award nights).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.