Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Starpoints Limited time offer - Save 20%

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2011, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by nonesuch flyer
For $560 if you are extremely lucky you might be able to get two return flight to somewhere that could net you say 2,000 miles each way for a total of say 8,000 miles with PLT bonus.
No argument that buying points saves time over an MR. AA is running a DEQM promo now though. If you live in the ORD/DFW/SFO/LAX markets, you can rack up 22K+ RDM (plus the 15K+ EQM) for $400-$500.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 1:53 pm

Does anyone know of a rewards card that will give you better than 1 point per dollar for purchases of star points? In other words, will any of the cards that award extra for travel expenses (I think Chase Sapphire and Amex Gold and maybe others) code this as travel?
Old Nov 3, 2011, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
$14 for 500 points....not bad....i have a couple of weekend stays coming up at a cat 2 property for about $135 a night....i could buy 6k points for $168 & save about $100....^^
Old Nov 3, 2011, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by lkar
will any of the cards that award extra for travel expenses (I think Chase Sapphire and Amex Gold and maybe others) code this as travel?
AmEx categorizes buying Starpoints from Points.com (which is where these purchases get processed) as “Merchandise & Supplies — Internet Purchase”.

Also, you get a single Starpoint per dollar when paying with an SPG AmEx.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 10:29 am

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Thanx, Moriens. I wondered about whether the SPG Amex would classify this as Starwood spending. Now U have answered NO.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by Brendan
Thanx, Moriens. I wondered about whether the SPG Amex would classify this as Starwood spending. Now U have answered NO.
Yup. It would be nice to earn an extra 560 points or miles somehow on the purchase, but it doesn't seem too easy. I know chase ultimate rewards is pretty generous about the "travel" category, so maybe one could talk them into it.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 1:23 pm

Programs: AA PLT/1.9MM
Anybody else having trouble buying Starpoints today? After going through the first two screens, including adding my credit card info, I click through for confirmation and receive the following message: "System Error. An unexpected system error has occurred."

I've tried using different browsers and credit cards, and still get the same error.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 4:36 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Starwood Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
While typically buying points is not a great deal, there are times when purchasing SPG points can really work in your favor, especially when 20% off.

For example, a category 2 hotel requires 3K points to redeem. If you purchase these points it will cost you $84. In my experience, $84 for a hotel room is really cheap! Now keep in mind, these are still low category hotels, and typically consist of airport hotels in the US. However, in Asia there are some great category 2 hotels!

You will find this with other expensive hotels as well that buying points might actually save you money! http://boardingarea.com/blogs/dealsw...ts-at-20-less/
Old Nov 4, 2011, 5:17 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
It's working again now. My purchase just went through.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
It's working again now. My purchase just went through.
Thanks, it works for me now too. The points showed up in my account within an hour and I've already transferred them over to AA, which should show up there next Wednesday. Lifetime Platinum, here I come!
Old Nov 4, 2011, 11:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Jumpcut
Thanks, it works for me now too. The points showed up in my account within an hour and I've already transferred them over to AA, which should show up there next Wednesday. Lifetime Platinum, here I come!
I thought the common wisdom was to get very close to 1 MM or 2 MM, etc. but not go over until next year to maximum the length of the time the EVIPS are good.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by JFKSFOLAX_friend
I thought the common wisdom was to get very close to 1 MM or 2 MM, etc. but not go over until next year to maximum the length of the time the EVIPS are good.
Actually, 1mm does not look like it will get evips after 12/1. So if you are close to 1mm, and you qualify for evips instead of stickers (Eg, EU address) it is better to hit 1mm before 12/1 unless you prefer 35k miles to the evips. If you have a US address, it doesn't much matter when you get 1mm, except the 35k bonus miles will count toward LTP if you get them before 12/1 but not if you get them after. For 2mm it is better to wait.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by JFKSFOLAX_friend
It is for LTP. This will put me within 25,000 so I'll get it in 2012.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 9:10 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold, PC Platinum
Originally Posted by lkar
Actually, 1mm does not look like it will get evips after 12/1. So if you are close to 1mm, and you qualify for evips instead of stickers (Eg, EU address) it is better to hit 1mm before 12/1 unless you prefer 35k miles to the evips.
I would take 4 evips rather than 35K miles.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 9:57 am

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Re: Moriens & Lkar above:
Maybe something has changed where we will earn 2 pp$ after all when buying *points with SPG Amex. I just bought 9K & it has posted thusly:
"STARWOOD BY POINTS POINTS.COM IL"
My statement will print on Nov. 26, so I should get my points on the 28th. I shall report whether I get 1x or 2x. If 1x, I'll call Amex to say, 'It says Starwood, so shouldn't it be doubled?'

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.