Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

SPG to count award nights toward elite status [Now Confirmed]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SPG to count award nights toward elite status [Now Confirmed]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2011, 2:10 pm

Programs: UA 1P, SPG Gold
SPG Insider on Twitter: "Cool benefit news"

The Tweet:
We have some cool benefit news to share w/ our members this week, so stay tuned to our feed. #SPGInsider
Old Sep 27, 2011, 2:15 pm

Programs: spg gold, CO Platinum, MR Gold
Originally Posted by laangelsfan
The Tweet:
and potential answer is this...

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewfr...-elite-status/
Old Sep 27, 2011, 2:40 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime PLT
Originally Posted by justspg
hmm... I was hoping for the rumored breakfast benefit.

I don't really see earning elite points on award stays as a "new benefit", but more of an odd rule that someone might occasionally help someone.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 2:45 pm

Yeah, I really don't see the potential award-nights-count-for-elite-status benefit warranting any hype (except among FT-er types), or even an announcement on its own.

Breakfast, on the other hand, would be IMO a much bigger deal for most people.

As I said in the other thread, though, the addition of both of these enhancements would be divine.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 2:53 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Hey, it's great news to me! I was looking at "forcing" a couple of stays in BKK just to maintain status. ^
Old Sep 27, 2011, 3:01 pm

Programs: SPG LTP
my 2c

Well, trying not to get too excited as this may well be 'just a rumour', but would be a great benefit to leisure-only travellers like me (as others have indicated already).

Plat for almost 10y now (and will hit it this year as well), so as such not overly concerned about spending the $/EUR required, but just to give a view on what is a fairly typical year:
- currently 21stays / 28nights paid
- add 4 straight point redemption stays (8 nights)
- add 6 C+P stays (11 nights)
- (?) add 2 paid stays but because of silly situation not counted (no heavy feelings)
- (?) add 3 free stays, one to go
... and fairly easy to see how this would greatly facilitate requalification

Note that
- not US-based, so points are 'earned through stays', not CC spend)
- about half of the 25stays/year till now are 'discretionary'/MRs in my book: major joy in tripping around, but would probably not make as many trips if not for the purpose of re-qualifying as well

Most likely behavioural impacts ?
- 'what if' some room upgrades forgone as 'more Plat competition' ... not particularly concerned: whilst I love the upgrades not too big a deal as long as rooms are up to par with price/points paid (OK, to be honest need to note that my travel patterns are such that in most cases I wouldn't expect too many Plats staying at the same time as I do)
- (!!!) While my current practice is to only redeem points at AT THE VERY LEAST 3 Euro-cent per point, may re-consider this drastically knowing that whatever points stay actually 'saves' me a later paid stay. From an SPG perspective probably sensible overall to incite me to this, and would think that even from an individual property perspective the differential ('cash in' for paid stay vs. 'serious' points redemption from their view) is not too dramatic
Old Sep 27, 2011, 3:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Sounds like free air conditioning.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 3:18 pm

Programs: AA, WN, SPG, HGP, FPC
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Maybe even ice buckets
Old Sep 27, 2011, 4:32 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
Besides....if you've redeemed award nights at the Four Points LAX you've long been getting night/stay credits. This just legitimizes it.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 6:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
hopefully not the in-room AC type I had the pleasure of at Sheraton Park Lane this summer!
Old Sep 27, 2011, 7:26 pm

Programs: Aegean Gold/CX Gold/FyingBlue Silver/SPG Platinun/Hertz 5*/National Exec/HH Gold/ICH Plat
+1 for the breakfast benefit
Old Sep 27, 2011, 7:48 pm

Programs: AA EXPlt, SPG Plt, Nat EE
Not to veer this too far off topic but aren't SPG Insider and William one and the same?
Old Sep 27, 2011, 7:52 pm

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
Originally Posted by phill6
+1 for the breakfast benefit
I was about to say "+1" when I looked at my stays so far for 2011 on spg.com and saw that with my particular travel pattens I got breakfast either as a voluntary Platinum benefit offered by the hotel, or explicitly included in the rate, or as lounge offering about 80% of the time (counting nights, not stays, and including award stays). However, I very rarely travel in the US.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 7:56 pm

It's the award nights count thing ... starting Oct 1, effective for checkouts on Oct 2. Read the Q&A ...

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewfr...ive-october-1/
Old Sep 27, 2011, 8:07 pm

Programs: spg gold, CO Platinum, MR Gold
Originally Posted by BigBopper
Not to veer this too far off topic but aren't SPG Insider and William one and the same?
nope, @spginsider is a different person ( i know since I follow).. if you go on twitter, you can see the name/picture of the person. It's actually a woman

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.