Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Double dip with 1,000 SW points for stays at Sheraton, Four Points, Element and Aloft

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Double dip with 1,000 SW points for stays at Sheraton, Four Points, Element and Aloft

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2011, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: Club Awesome

Credit goes to Ric Garrido over at Boarding Area.com http://boardingarea.com/blogs/loyalt...ays-to-dec-15/

Southwest Airlines Rapid RewardsŪ Members can now earn 1,000 bonus Rapid Rewards Points for every stay at any SheratonŪ, Four PointsŪ, AloftSM and ElementSM hotel or resort across North America. There's no limit on how many Rapid Rewards Points you can earn. With over 350 hotels and four great brands to choose from, it's easy to earn bonus points.

To participate in this promotion, you must be a member of the Starwood Preferred GuestŪ program. If you are not an SPGŪ member, enroll today for free. Then register for this promotion by October 15, 2011. You'll earn 1,000 bonus Rapid Rewards Points for every eligible stay August 1 through December 15, 2011.

https://www.spgpromos.com/southwest2...WEST_PROMOTION
Old Aug 4, 2011, 3:15 pm

The awesome SPG IT team is at it again! The registration page loads, but when I submit a registration nothing happens. Hit Submit a second time, nothing happens. Submit a third time, and I get the following error message:
We are sorry that you're experiencing problems. Please contact your local Customer Contact Center for assistance.

Last edited by starflyer; Aug 4, 2011 at 3:48 pm
Old Aug 4, 2011, 3:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta PLAT, Marriot Plat, IHG Plat, SPG Gold, A couple of other airlines - pee on
No problems registering for me.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by kaaria
No problems registering for me.
Tried again using IE8, cleared cookies, double checked my account numbers and email address, confirmed that I received the invitation email, and still am unable to register as noted in post # 2. Guess I'll wait a while and try later.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by starflyer
The awesome SPG IT team is at it again! The registration page loads, but when I submit a registration nothing happens. Hit Submit a second time, nothing happens. Submit a third time, and I get the following error message:
We are sorry that you're experiencing problems. Please contact your local Customer Contact Center for assistance.
You may want to just try again.

I didn't have problems with that, but I clicked on Terms & Conditions and it gave so horrid error message, then a minute late I clicked on Terms & Conditions and it opened fine.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 4:03 pm

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
Not loading at

6:05 EST
Old Aug 4, 2011, 4:13 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, KF Silver
why is everything per stay? lame.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 4:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta PLAT, Marriot Plat, IHG Plat, SPG Gold, A couple of other airlines - pee on
I used firefox and had no issues.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For the purposes of this promotion at least, perhaps it's a good thing that Southwest doesn't call their points "miles"? This way, Starwood giving both SPG points and WN points isn't doing "points & miles", which Starwood could be prevented from doing (or at least saying) by Hilton? (I'm not sure whether Hilton has legally protected "both points & miles", beyond a trademark on the term I think, or if it's just by happenstance that they have been the only one to do that so far.)
Old Aug 4, 2011, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hubbub
why is everything per stay? lame.
Be careful what you wish for:

Those hotel programs that award miles (other than WN) per stay typically do 250 or 500 per stay.

Those hotel programs that award miles not per stay (such as Marriott) typically only do 2 miles per dollar. So you have to spend $250 before you break even (at a 500 miles per stay) property. Which means that at reasonably-priced suburban properies, you lose out unless your stay is 2, maybe 3 or even 4 days!

That's one reason I haven't stayed at Marriott properties much, because I do all my stays on my own dime and try to get my room costs down as low as possible, yet want the most earnings for that. Flat per stay schemes achieve that (as long as I "hotel hop"), while per dollar schemes never do that. Thus it's per dollar schemes (for airline earnings) that I dislike, while I love the per stay schemes.

And you can bet that if Southwest gave a per-dollar promo it would be peanuts (for most stays) compared to the 1000 points they're giving here.

Hotel programs love to do per-stay bonuses because they realize a lot of people won't go out of their way to "hotel hop" (many non-FTers won't even think of it!), and thus they don't have to pay out as much. Only we who know to "hotel hop" (and who don't mind doing so) get the maximum value out of such promos.

There's a thread devoted to hotel hopping in the Hilton HHonors forum, in fact, for gathering info about clusters of hotels in the same program within walking distance of each other!
Old Aug 4, 2011, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kaaria
I used firefox and had no issues.
I also used Firefox, specifically Firefox 5. (And as previously noted had no issues with registration, but did have a temporary issue with viewing the T&Cs.)

Btw, in case you aren't able to see the T&Cs yourself, some relevant points:

1. You earn this independent of your normal earning preference. If you normally earn SPG points, you'll continue to do that, plus earn the WN bonus points. It was a little confusing about other earning preferences though, because it didn't explain specifically what happens if you're auto-depositing to another airline but then register for this promo.

2. It says the promo won't be paid out until after the promo period ends.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by starflyer
Tried again using IE8, cleared cookies, double checked my account numbers and email address, confirmed that I received the invitation email, and still am unable to register as noted in post # 2. Guess I'll wait a while and try later.
Yeah, I also was not able to register. I tried it in Firefox, Chrome, and IE. I contacted SPG's Online Chat, and the rep stated that her supervisor registered me since I was not able to. My question though is do they have my Rapid Rewards number? Lol...
Old Aug 4, 2011, 5:30 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, KF Silver
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Be careful what you wish for:

Those hotel programs that award miles (other than WN) per stay typically do 250 or 500 per stay.

Those hotel programs that award miles not per stay (such as Marriott) typically only do 2 miles per dollar. So you have to spend $250 before you break even (at a 500 miles per stay) property. Which means that at reasonably-priced suburban properies, you lose out unless your stay is 2, maybe 3 or even 4 days!

That's one reason I haven't stayed at Marriott properties much, because I do all my stays on my own dime and try to get my room costs down as low as possible, yet want the most earnings for that. Flat per stay schemes achieve that (as long as I "hotel hop"), while per dollar schemes never do that. Thus it's per dollar schemes (for airline earnings) that I dislike, while I love the per stay schemes.

And you can bet that if Southwest gave a per-dollar promo it would be peanuts (for most stays) compared to the 1000 points they're giving here.

Hotel programs love to do per-stay bonuses because they realize a lot of people won't go out of their way to "hotel hop" (many non-FTers won't even think of it!), and thus they don't have to pay out as much. Only we who know to "hotel hop" (and who don't mind doing so) get the maximum value out of such promos.

There's a thread devoted to hotel hopping in the Hilton HHonors forum, in fact, for gathering info about clusters of hotels in the same program within walking distance of each other!
i'm on a project in nyc until december so cheap suburban hotels are a distant dream.

i was hoping for a per night promotion instead of per stay.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Can you truly double dip this while earning starpoints or do you need to set up earning as "miles"?
Old Aug 4, 2011, 5:35 pm

Programs: UA 1P, SPG Gold
Worked for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.