Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

[LEAVING AUG 2021] Four Points by Sheraton Long Island City, NY [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[LEAVING AUG 2021] Four Points by Sheraton Long Island City, NY [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2011, 8:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, HH Diamond
Exclamation [LEAVING AUG 2021] Four Points by Sheraton Long Island City, NY [Master Thread]

I just completed a night's stay here opening night. The hotel is not that close to a subway station. Its 3 long blocks through a very industrial area full of automobile / taxi repair shops and big warehouse distribution centers. There are not a lot of restaurants in the area, and the ones that are are mom and pop diner types. I am a female solo traveler and I while I didnt feel unsafe walking around during the day, night was a little sketchy. There is virtually nothing to do in the area - though I did pass by a couple of 'gentleman's clubs'! Its very curious, there are quite a few hotels in the area so I guess they are all banking on it being very up and coming? You got me. I personally won't be staying there again.
Old Apr 30, 2011, 9:51 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Globehopper
If taking a taxi, be certain you specify to the taxi driver that you wish to go via the Queensboro Bridge and not the Midtown Tunnel (which is a toll crossing).
This is a very good observations. Everytime i go into Manhattan from LGA, the driver wants to take me via the toll crossing. They will also give me excuses like there is contruction or lots of traffic. Folks, the only reason they do this is for the larger tip. I always tell them take the bridge.
Old Apr 30, 2011, 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by hotelfanatic
This is a very good observations. Everytime i go into Manhattan from LGA, the driver wants to take me via the toll crossing. They will also give me excuses like there is contruction or lots of traffic. Folks, the only reason they do this is for the larger tip. I always tell them take the bridge.
lol, how is it a larger tip? You don't tip on the toll amount. Just pay that separately, or consider it separately.

Depending on where you are going, the tunnel might be faster, but if you are going to midtown areas or upper East side, etc, most likely the 59th St bridge is the best/shortest/fastest way. The drivers aren't allowed to take an East river toll crossing without permission fromt the passenger.

-David (one of my college jobs was NYC taxi driver)
Old May 1, 2011, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by daiseee
I just completed a night's stay here opening night. The hotel is not that close to a subway station. Its 3 long blocks through a very industrial area full of automobile / taxi repair shops and big warehouse distribution centers. There are not a lot of restaurants in the area, and the ones that are are mom and pop diner types. I am a female solo traveler and I while I didnt feel unsafe walking around during the day, night was a little sketchy. There is virtually nothing to do in the area - though I did pass by a couple of 'gentleman's clubs'! Its very curious, there are quite a few hotels in the area so I guess they are all banking on it being very up and coming? You got me. I personally won't be staying there again.
thanks for the review....what is the hotel like????
Old May 3, 2011, 9:32 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
lol, how is it a larger tip? You don't tip on the toll amount. Just pay that separately, or consider it separately.
When you go through the process of paying using CC, is a lot easier to select the tip % on the screen. This is base on the total fare plus any additional charges (toll). It may be small but it does add up for the cabbie.

Now to this hotel’s review.

To get here by subway/foot - do not use the address the 4-points website gives you when searching via googlemaps (27-05 39th Avenue Long Island City, New York). Instead use 27 39th Avenue Long Island City, New York. the "-05" seem to throw googlemaps off.

As already been said, is a long walk from QueenBoro Bridge station (recommended by the front desk clerk). I came out of the station and asked the locals where this place was and no one knew. I will try the 39th Av station tomorrow to see if is closer. The area is dead and if you are not use to this part of the city, you may not want to walk around in the evening.

The hotel is new (not a conversion). The lobby is open and bright. The restaurant is near the check in desk and it was busy and is obvious why . Plats do not get breakfast at this property. I was hoping otherwise .

Room size is similar to Sheraton Tribeca. TV is maybe 27". The bed feels firm but comfy. Bath room is decent size but shower is small - shower door is difficult to close from the inside as there are no knobs to pull it shut. Gym was small (I think 4 machines).

The air conditioning unit was a little noisy (similar to the ones you find at Hyatt Place if you know what I mean).

My highlight at this hotel is the view of the manhattan skyline. I think all the higher rooms have a perfect view of the QB Bridge and Manhattan's east side. The room windows opens a bit to stick your camera out. I visited the R floor and the doors were locked to the outside. Not sure if they are planning to build an outdoor patio but they should as it has one of the nicest view of manhattan - maybe as good or even better than the Sheraton Tribeca. This is a great location to take pictures.

Overall, a decent hotel and the rates are very good. Just get ready for a short hike from the subway and know your eating options are limited here.
Old May 4, 2011, 5:20 am

Programs: LAN, AA, SPG
Thanks for the review. I am curious as to why one reviewer says there is a subway sta one block away and another says three long blocks. I will be interested in hearing your additional comments. Can you also say what the noise level is like inside the rooms (I am leery of new construction and thin walls/doors). Thanks again!
Old May 4, 2011, 7:28 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Originally Posted by phlashba
Thanks for the review. I am curious as to why one reviewer says there is a subway sta one block away and another says three long blocks. I will be interested in hearing your additional comments. Can you also say what the noise level is like inside the rooms (I am leery of new construction and thin walls/doors). Thanks again!
On Google Maps, it looks like as if the hotel is on 39th Ave, at the corner of 27th street, and the 39th Ave subway stop is on 39th, at the corner of 31st, SE of the hotel, about a quarter mile away. If the entrance to the subway is right on that corner, it's just under a quarter mile from door to door. Queensboro Plaza Station is to the SW, about a half mile away
Old May 4, 2011, 10:43 am

This morning, I walked towards the 39th ave station and is way shorter than to the Queensboro station (and no 4 lane road to cross). 39th ave will be my station of choice in the future. And to get pointed in the right direction is fairly easy from the 39th Ave station. Just look for the Holiday Inn (also new) and walk 4 short blocks that way on 39th Ave.

BTW - the area did not look all that bad in the morning but there are just not many eating options.

In terms of noise, there was very little outside noise as its situated in a residential neighborhood. Much quieter than where I usually stay in Manhattan. But I did hear the elevator from my room. So ask for a room away from elevator if you are sensitive to it.
Old May 4, 2011, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by vandalby
I have a client with a major location on Queens Plaza. In short, this is NOT the part of town where one is going to want to just be strolling around, especially after dark. In fact, I wouldn't even recommend walking to the subway stop after dark.

Maybe SPG thinks a regentrification is coming...but others have thought that for a number of years.
+1. SPG should consider building a hotel on Roosevelt Island.
Old May 4, 2011, 12:11 pm

When you go through the process of paying using CC, is a lot easier to select the tip % on the screen. This is base on the total fare plus any additional charges (toll). It may be small but it does add up for the cabbie.
So pay cash and you can be as cheap as you like without having to use a keypad to enter the tip amount I suppose.

I'm glad you were never my passenger. Apparently the cab drivers have to pay a 5% fee on all credit card charges, including the toll amount.

Do you really think cab drivers are getting rich if you "accidentally" give them an extra 30 cents? Wow. That's why that job sucked and I didn't do it very long.

-David
Old May 4, 2011, 1:43 pm

So pay cash and you can be as cheap as you like without having to use a keypad to enter the tip amount I suppose.

I'm glad you were never my passenger. Apparently the cab drivers have to pay a 5% fee on all credit card charges, including the toll amount.

Do you really think cab drivers are getting rich if you "accidentally" give them an extra 30 cents? Wow. That's why that job sucked and I didn't do it very long.

-David
Having riden NYC cabs for a while, i don't like to be told how i should get there when I've already told you how. I don't like charging my client extra toll $s when I don't see why. I am paying the cabbie to drive me there the way i want to go. Never once did i hit traffic when going my way. Maybe next time - but it has not happen yet. And if they have a problem w/ paying 5% to the CC company, raise the fare or don't take CC - is not my problem. And having driven in NYC all my life, cabs are the biggest danger on the road in NY.

My co-worker once did not tip because of the cabbie's behavior and the cabbie got out and literally pull him out of the cab. And I don't think they take lightly on small tips either.
Old May 4, 2011, 2:21 pm

you would be a good candidate for one of those "switch your job for a day" things.

-David
Old May 5, 2011, 3:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
My co-worker once did not tip because of the cabbie's behavior and the cabbie got out and literally pull him out of the cab. And I don't think they take lightly on small tips either.
i hear you....a few years ago i was heading to manhattan from jfk & the cab fare was $49....when i got to my destination i handed the cabbie a $100 bill but i didn't want loose change back so asked him to give me $50 back....i had a $5 bill that i was going to tip him with but before i could hand that to him he throws $51 on the ground near my feet & says something like 'learn how to f**king tip properly'....he then saw the $5 bill in my hand & realised i was about to tip him with that....he just stood there for a few seconds not knowing whether to apologise or get back into his cab....but after seeing that attitude i simply picked up the money he threw on the ground & walked away shaking my head....
Old May 5, 2011, 7:23 am

Programs: A few
you would be a good candidate for one of those "switch your job for a day" things.

-David
I try to tip cabbies pretty well (usually 20% on LGA runs or 25% if they get me there fast) but the fact is the average tip went up from 10% to over 20% when they introduced the credit cards. I can't recall the source, think it was in the WSJ. So I don't have any sympathy for the card stories. And frankly it's pretty annoying when a cabbie starts driving south from 57th to get to the mid-town tunnel. If I am gonna pay the toll it's going north on FDR but the Q Bridge is my preferred route. Going via midtown generally adds to both the distance and the toll and that adds on to the tip handsomely.

Back on topic I just came across this property and showing rates of $169 for my next trip vs $245 I can get for the W. It's out of my own pocket and given all I do is sleep this may well be a good option for me. Think I will try it out and see how it goes. Seems like it's 15 minutes all-in to my place of work in midtown using the correct address on google maps.
Old May 5, 2011, 9:29 am

Programs: UA 1P, SPG Plat, HHonors Gold
Stayed in the hotel on Sunday, May 1 under their opening weekend promo, where I'll receive double points, along with a special rate where they give out an extra 1k points. Neither has yet posted, so we'll see what happens there. Couple of things:

1. As mentioned early, the hotel is brand new. As in, not completely finished. There were contractors working in the lobby on Monday morning and staff running around fixing things. Nothing too distracting, but something to be aware of.

2. I was "upgraded" on check-in to 1008, a smallish room that likely had a great view of Manahattan. I never checked. Was not thrilled with the room.

3. Disturbing experience - my girlfriend went to drink the bottle of water in the room and found it had already been opened. It appeared as though the bottle had been refilled with filtered water as the sediment that is typical of Brita filters was in the water. Called downstairs immediately about it and got a heartfelt apology. I requested that the manager be informed and that we discuss this in the morning as we were exhausted. No discussion in the morning, even after I raised the issue. I did get two new bottles of water out of it, so meh.

4. I did get two $5 drink vouchers at check in. It seems they have some local microbrews on tap and want me to try them. I didn't.

5. Plat amenity was 250 points, a movie, or $5 at the mini-bar.

That's pretty much all I can remember. Would I stay there again? Not likely.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.