Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Four Points Galveston [Master Thread] (Leaving Marriott Oct. 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2011, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold

Didn't find a thread for this hotel after doing a search, and there doesn't seem to be any thread linked to the Master List sticky, so I thought I would share some photos and thoughts on the new Four Points Galveston.

The hotel itself is right on the seawall, and appears to be new build (I think whatever used to be there washed away during Hurricane Ike). Galveston being what it is, there's not a lot in the immediate vicinity, other than the Seawall/small beach. However, it's not a long drive to The Strand/Harbor area.

Hotel service was friendly, but it took some prodding to get into a Suite (hotel had just opened, and I don't think the staff were especially familiar with Plat benefits). However, once obtained, the suite was pretty decent:

Hotel Exterior (Taken from Seawall)

Suite Living Room

Suite Dining Area

Suite Bedroom

Suite Bathroom

All in all, it was a decent experience. Galveston isn't really my favorite place on Earth, but it's easy to get to, and can make a decent weekend retreat from Houston - especially now that there's an SPG option on the island.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Penalty Box 2K, PWP Posting Unit 9
Thanks for posting that. I was looking at some cheap stays here and wondered what the inside was like.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 6:47 pm

Programs: HH Gold, GP Diamond, ICH Plat, SPG Gold, WN A List, National Exec
This property used to be a Ramada. Not sure if they closed it down due to the hurricane or if it was bought and remodeled.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 12:35 pm

Programs: NW Gold/SPG Plat/Hilton Gold
FP Galveston vs Hilton Galveston Resort

Does anyone have any experience at this property? If anyone would be able to compare to the Hilton Resort on the island, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Old Feb 21, 2011, 12:36 am

Programs: SPG Gold; United Premier Gold
Stayed there twice so far..
First stay, did not get upgrade but got the highest floor, but it was the filter fan (?) on rooftop was really loud, so I requested to move to a lower floor.
Second stay, I got upgraded automatically to 1 bedroom suite, also on the highest floor, but luckily the filter fan wasnt as loud as my first stay.
Nice ocean view from bedroom window, they even provide a robe (super comfortable) in the closet.
One of the best Four Points I've stayed.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 6:49 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Gold
I'm actually a pretty big fan of this property. I've stayed here three times since switching loyalties to SPG, and I've gotten suite upgrades all three times. (Once as a Gold, two times as a Plat.)

It's got the nuances of a mid-tier beach property including the occasional odd smell and guest noise, but overall it's a great, inexpensive spot.

As mentioned before, Galveston isn't exactly the most scenic place on earth, but it's handy for an overnight getaway from Houston if the price is right!
Old Aug 11, 2012, 5:36 pm

BRUTAL! So Disappointing :td:

Maybe the mistake was going to the St Regis 1st! Booked a family vacation in Houston before kids head off to school. St Regis for a few days of shopping then a weekend at the beach!
Right across from the beach and the Peir we got out of the van so excited took forever to check in but got two adjoining rooms but they were dirty and not just a little. Stunk of wet mildew smell figured we could l9ive with that if the air ran for a while but the dirty everything was too much,
Doors, sheets, bedspreads, carpets, bathrooms, was so so sad.
Ended up losing my points and going to the hilton for the night, then back to the city for a few days by the pool of the Sheraton Suites Galleria.
Only one elevator working at 4 Pts, rude staff, no help or concern for my comments. Lcation, location, lkocation but be prepared for a terrible room.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 1:05 pm

Stayed here on 2 occasions in March 2013. On the first visit, we were upgraded to the top floor with a nice beach view, based on SPG+ status.

On the second visit, the hotel was booked, so we did not receive an upgrade and were on the 4th floor with a view of a rooftop.

Two problems were noted. One, we requested a 5am wakeup call on the evening of March 9, with the change to daylight savings time occurring during the night. However, the call came at 6am, indicating the staff had failed to make appropriate clock adjustments to whatever mechanism makes the wakeup calls. Fortunately, we had a backup cellphone alarm that worked properly. As it was, we had less than 30 minutes of extra time at IAH when we checked in.

Two, when we went to the parking lot, we noted that 3 light standards at the back of the lot were out, with one near the front of the hotel being on. It was very dark, and not the best for security of parked vehicles.

Both items were reported on the survey that arrived after our stay.

We did take advantage of the newly-constructed amusement pier across the street, with various rides, and walked all around town (25 minutes walk to Strand area directly up 25th Street), much to the amazement of local Texans, who considered walks of that nature impossible.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 5:50 pm

Currently staying. As a platinum I got upgraded to an ocean view suite. The view is awesome. The room is very tired and in need of a refresh. The furniture is very beat up and the windows to that beautiful view need some serious cleaning.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 3:15 pm

Programs: SWA-A+&CP, UA,AA, Bonvoy-LifePlat, HH-Dia; Hertz-PC;
Angry Overbooked my balcony room, and in sad need of a new flag....

I have stayed at this property before, and it's been ok, but this week I booked (via the SPG app) a Jr Suite WITH a Balcony, which was confirmed, but when I arrived was told it was already occupied and they had double booked it. I specifically wanted and booked that room for the Tall Ships Galveston Parade of Ships, a very special event, but was not to be. The larger suite windows were dirty, one with large bird droppings, so it was a pretty big disappointment. And then, the flag - huge disgrace.

Old Sep 24, 2021, 3:35 am

Programs: DL DM & 2MM; Marriott Titanium
Here is a message I recently got: "Effective October 1, 2021, the Four Points by Sheraton Galveston will no longer be associated with Marriott but will continue normal operations as Clarion Pointe and your reservation will be honored."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.