Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

SPG no longer doing instant internal transfers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2010, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: CO GLD, *A GLD, A"A Lifetime GLD, Avis Pres. Club, SPG PLT, Hyatt DMND, Fairmont PRMR

EFFECTIVE TODAY - NOVEMBER 15th

All internal point transfers will go through a special department which will check eligibility for the transfer. Due to overwhelming fraud in the internal point transfer system, it will now take up to 5 days for a point transfer to take effect.

This came from a Platinum Concierge agent.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 8:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Sounds like they're clamping down on all those "short-term address changes".
Old Nov 15, 2010, 10:17 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA 2.0 MM, DL Plat, Hertz Plat, LY Gold
No surprise here. It was only a matter of time....
Old Nov 15, 2010, 11:00 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
As long as they are still allowing point transfers, this sounds like an expected change. I recently signed my wife up for the 30K CC bonus promo and would like to combine our points in the future for some awards. ^
Old Nov 15, 2010, 12:58 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
This is bad news for all. It was one of the few programs that allowed this so freely. It was a big reason for how highly they were valued in CC as well. Still a great program and their value is still high, but this does take some of their value away as it won't be easy to exchange.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 1:57 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by schley
This is bad news for all.
Funny, I would say it's good news for all legitimate members. Fewer people getting points fraudulently should lead to better availability.

this does take some of their value away as it won't be easy to exchange.
Making the program harder to defraud makes it worse?
Old Nov 15, 2010, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Funny, I would say it's good news for all legitimate members. Fewer people getting points fraudulently should lead to better availability.

Making the program harder to defraud makes it worse?
I think this might be a reference not to SPG being a worse program as a result, but maybe as a non-viable conduit to transfer SPG to AA. For many, SPG was the backbone of AA transfer accrual.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 5:42 pm

Programs: UA,CO,SPG
I just did a transfer through the online chat. They said it could take up to 5 days before I see the points in my account.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 6:04 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
This is bad news for all. It was one of the few programs that allowed this so freely. It was a big reason for how highly they were valued in CC as well. Still a great program and their value is still high, but this does take some of their value away as it won't be easy to exchange.
Yes, now they are just another low earn/high burn hotel point program, except for the CC churn.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 6:06 pm

Starwood Points

Earlier today, I called in and did a transfer to a family member with the same last name, residing at the same address since the inception of both accounts.

All points transferred immediately.

So perhaps only certain transfers are undergoing scrutiny.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 7:48 pm
Community Director Emerita

Seriously. Enough has been said about fraud. Can we please return to the newsworthy initial post, and people's experience with the implementation.

/mod
Old Nov 15, 2010, 7:52 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
part of this has to be that US Air Grand Slam promo where everyone wanted one mile transferred in. I don't know much about it but there were quite a few requests for this type of transaction.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 7:55 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA CK, DL PLT, HH DIA, MARRIOTT PLT, FAIRMONT LT PLT, HYATT DIA, SIXT PLT, AVIS PC
I understand wanting to add a level of security such as verifying an additional security question or having a supervisor make the transfer but requiring 5 days is simply not acceptable for the 21st century.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 8:37 pm

Programs: UA,DL,CZ
But what happens if they found out two are trading points or the two accounts has no relationship to each other? Just like IHG, shut your account?
Old Nov 15, 2010, 8:43 pm

Household Account?

One way to prevent fraud would be to create something like the household account in British Airway program. You can still transfer between household members, but it take more works to add members and remove members from the account.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.