Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Lounges To be Open 7 Days a Week (Starting in 2011)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2010, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other

Just saw this tweet and it seems like great news. Any confirmation from the Lurkers?

@SPGInsider! All Sheraton clubs MUST operate 7 days eff. January 1, 2011. #SMD2010

I'm sure this will be mixed news, because the free restaurant breakfast coupons (when you can get them) are nicer than lounge breakfast. Thoughts?
Old Nov 6, 2010, 9:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
It could be good for those properties that don't supply breakfast when the lounge is closed (which is the majority in my experience).
Old Nov 6, 2010, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by thepointsguy
Just saw this tweet and it seems like great news. Any confirmation from the Lurkers?

@SPGInsider! All Sheraton clubs MUST operate 7 days eff. January 1, 2011. #SMD2010

I'm sure this will be mixed news, because the free restaurant breakfast coupons (when you can get them) are nicer than lounge breakfast. Thoughts?

I see this as a mixed bag... lounge access at all times is nice, but I often prefer getting the breakfast coupons.

There should be a standard policy that if the hotel has a lounge, and when it is closed, Plats should be provided breakfast coupons, as some hotels provide them, others do not.

I'm also concerned that a staffed lounge may increase weekend operating costs; perhaps the lounges could be unstaffed in those markets that don't justify weekend staffing.
Old Nov 6, 2010, 12:02 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
This is great news. The breakfast coupons were hit or miss depending on the property so this way breakfast might not be as good, but at least you know what to expect. I would much rather know that the club will be open rather than haggle with the front desk for a breakfast coupon if the lounge won't be open on a Saturday.
Old Nov 6, 2010, 12:04 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, Hyatt LT Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
I wonder if the quality of what is offered will go down... though for the most part there isn't that much room to go before the bottom.
Old Nov 6, 2010, 12:23 pm

GREAT news! the lounge is more than just breakfast
Old Nov 6, 2010, 12:30 pm
Suspended

Agree with above...Sheraton Copley (Boston) has a lounge. On weekends, it is closed and Platinums are told to "hit the bricks" regarding breakfast. They used to offer bfast coupons but stopped about a year ago.
Old Nov 6, 2010, 12:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Silver
Devils Advocate: Will this cause some hotels to get rid of their lounge altogether?
Old Nov 6, 2010, 2:23 pm

Programs: DL Plat, 1 MM; SPG LT Plat (RIP); Marriott LT Titanium; Fairmont Plat (RIP), DL Kryptonium Medallion
Originally Posted by terrysalmi
Devils Advocate: Will this cause some hotels to get rid of their lounge altogether?
Indeed. Or might some reduce the amount of food/drink they have. It's amazing how much variety exists across hotels.
Old Nov 6, 2010, 2:25 pm

Programs: Promus Preferred, ITT Sheraton Club
Originally Posted by terrysalmi
Aren't all Sheraton properties required to have a lounge? Excluding resorts?
Old Nov 6, 2010, 2:34 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, MAR Lifetime Plat, UAMM, AA3MM
Very Good News...

I like the idea. No more guessing, open or not (sure majority are closed)... and I like OPEN a lot more than closed. BTW, I've never once received a breakfast coupon.

Perhaps this is the beginning of a trend... a return to servicing the customer.

I like it!
Old Nov 6, 2010, 2:38 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Agreed that this is welcome news. I think of cases like the Sheraton NY and the Sheraton BOS where the lounges are closed on weekends, but the midweek lounge offerings are nice. This is really good news and I'm appreciative of the change.
Old Nov 6, 2010, 2:44 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
It could be good for those properties that don't supply breakfast when the lounge is closed (which is the majority in my experience).
Aren't all properties supposed to offer PLT breakfast coupons in lieu of lounge access when the lounge is closed?

Originally Posted by Peatisback
I wonder if the quality of what is offered will go down... though for the most part there isn't that much room to go before the bottom.
I think it has already gone downhill IMHO. A year ago, the Sheraton Chicago Hotel and Towers had an awesome lounge w/ various drinks and snacks. Today, it is water and a couple of digusting fried options. Yuck! Some properties have been consistent in their offerings like the Sheraton Downtown LA (continental breakfast) and Le Westin Montréal (buffet breakfast). This is fine. Others, such as the Westin Grand Arabella Quay Cape Town have gone above and beyond what is expected from them by offering a full (non-buffet) breakfast. I think there is a lot to be said for the lack of uniformity.
Old Nov 6, 2010, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
To me this is a big "Huh?" Didn't they always used to be 7 days a week before 9/11? And aren't most all other brands lounges open 7 days a week? And isn't it pretty much only in the US that Sheratons dropped to 5 days a week after 9/11? And don't most of the Sheraton lounges in the US suck anyways?
Old Nov 6, 2010, 2:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
Yes to those questions, but it is still good that they'll be open because the alternatives are less attractive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.