Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

W New York Downtown, New York City [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

W New York Downtown, New York City [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2010, 2:10 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy
Original Poster

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Arrow W New York Downtown, New York City [Master Thread]

I just completed my first stay at this property. Overall, a nice property with pleasant and interesting Gehry-esque public spaces, comfortable but small rooms, helpful and cheerful staff and a good lower downtown location that is a block from the WTC site and convenient to Wall Street.

As a Platinum member, I was upgraded to a 'cool corner' room, which is two steps above the lowest level. It was small, but very open and bright, thanks to windows on the two corner walls. I was on the 15th floor, facing north, which looks straight at Ground Zero (though higher floors would be more unobstructed). The room was comfortable and cozy. Amazing bed -- the most important thing to me. The corner room had window seats all around the space, in front of all the windows, which was very versatile space. Bathroom was fine, though with unfortunately weak water pressure in the shower.

Suites are not yet open at this property. I was told the 'cool corner' is the highest category they have open.

I found the staff nice, warm, & welcoming. They seemed genuinely interested in my needs, though not always capable. I was there on Sept. 11. I underestimated the level of disruption to the area around the hotel, given the memorial service, which was scheduled to run literally all day. Getting a car or taxi into the area of the hotel was not possible due to strict closures. While the staff knew of the closures and informed everyone in a letter at checkin and again under the door, multiple staff I spoke with were at a loss for what to do as a result of the closures. In other words, where to have a car pick us up outside the closed zone, or how best to get to a taxi. Ultimately a door man helped by taking our bags and walking a few blocks with us until we got to a road where taxis were available. It worked out fine, but only by the determination of that one doorman to make it so. I think the hotel should have thought things through and had a better plan for their guests.

In the end, if you like W hotels in general, you will be happy here. I remain irritated that they cannot seem to recognize that people travel with toiletries and need some counter space in the bathroom for them (in the case of my room, there was plenty of space for one) and that a towel hook near the shower makes it a little easier to dry off afterward without getting water everywhere. My room also had a silly closet design, in that there were shelves above (good), but those made the rod so low that hanging slacks full length or a dress to facilitate the wrinkles falling out, wasn't possible, as they drug on the bottom of the closet. W designers still need to get that function thing. They're good with form, but need to actually stay in a few of these rooms and experience their limitations. The brand is too old to still be making these basic mistakes.

Edited to add: The subway closest to this hotel is the Red #1 line, stopping at Rector St. It's very convenient -- a short block up Greenwich St. and around the corner to the front of the hotel. The Yellow line is only a block further.

Last edited by AZ Travels the World; Sep 11, 2010 at 9:48 pm Reason: additional details
Old Sep 11, 2010, 4:32 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
I just completed my first stay at this property. Overall, a nice property with pleasant and interesting Gehry-esque public spaces, comfortable but small rooms, helpful and cheerful staff and a good lower downtown location that is a block from the WTC site and convenient to Wall Street. . . .
Thanks. Excellent review of a new *wood property in NYC.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
nice review az travels the world....
Old Sep 15, 2010, 6:25 am

Programs: Bonvoy - LIFETIME!!! Titanium ; AA - Platinum 2 Million Miler;
Any indication as to when the suites will be opening up for use? I have a stay the second week of Oct.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 8:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyMeHomeAA
Any indication as to when the suites will be opening up for use? I have a stay the second week of Oct.
Not really. I was left with the impression that they're not quite ready, but I don't know how 'not quite' that is.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 12:17 pm

I called the hotel earilier they said it will not be ready until next year.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 6:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by anchor79
I called the hotel earilier they said it will not be ready until next year.
So much for 'not quite' ready. That would be more like "not hardly" ready.

The fact suites are that far behind the opening of the property should be posted on their home page as a Special Condition.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
The fact suites are that far behind the opening of the property should be posted on their home page as a Special Condition.
good point....
Old Sep 16, 2010, 1:56 am

I was on the 15th floor, facing north, which looks straight at Ground Zero (though higher floors would be more unobstructed).
Well, eventually they'll all be obstructed facing north, right?
Old Sep 16, 2010, 7:39 am
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
Originally Posted by aviators99
Well, eventually they'll all be obstructed facing north, right?
In terms of immediate obstruction facing north, this will depend on the future of 130 Liberty Street (former Deutsche Bank Building) which right now is completely up for grabs. Once Freedom Tower is complete though, then I would say that yes, all of the views to the North will be obstructed, at least for the hotel portion which only goes up to floor 22 I believe.
Old Sep 18, 2010, 7:30 am

Programs: CO Plat, Starwood Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hilton Diamond, CO Pres. Plus, Hertz #1 Gold
Edited to add: The subway closest to this hotel is the Red #1 line, stopping at Rector St. It's very convenient -- a short block up Greenwich St. and around the corner to the front of the hotel. The Yellow line is only a block further.
Thanks for the report. As an aside, we here in NYC don't refer to subway lines by color, but by number or letter: #1, 2, 3, 4, etc, or A, B, C, D. If you ask someone on the street where the yellow line subway is, they'd look at you like you don't know what you're talking about. Same thing if you're already in the subway and looking to transfer from one line to another: you won't find signs indicating directions to the yellow or red line; they'll be by number or letter. Granted, signage and such is a continual problem if you're new to riding the subway here, but better not to add to the confusion that can happen.

Just an FYI.
Old Sep 18, 2010, 2:00 pm

Was here for a Fashion Week party in living the Living Room. Liked the hotel. Small lobby, but the BLT Bar & Grill on the fist two floors looked pretty cool.

The old Deutche Bank Building is being demolished very slowly. Will be fully down by end of Q1 2011
Old Sep 21, 2010, 4:50 pm

Any rec's on less expensive parking near this property?
Old Sep 22, 2010, 1:15 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Stayed last night. Staff is *very* friendly (almost too much for my preference - but it is my problem, not theirs). Got upgraded to Spectacular. Good view of Freedom Tower construction. They apologized for the fact that they don't yet have suites. Because many floors of the hotel are not yet open (i.e. - under construction) they require room key in the elevator 24 hours. I liked the room furnishings including a personal favorite which was an internet cord which was long enough to let me work on my laptop on the bed, instead of sitting at the desk.

Room service was actually a very good deal (subject to the $5 service charge, NY taxes and 19% gratuity). For $23 (healthy?) it was egg white omlette, broiled tomato, choice of toast, small bowl of berries (good ones), coffee and juice, with an attractive display of toppings for the toast (I got bagel, so they included cream cheese), and a large candy bar.

Taxi service is a problem due to the location. The Marriott, which sits on the West Side Highway, gets whatever few cabs come up the highway. So the doorman runs 2 blocks to the Marriott and gets a cab and rides it back to the hotel.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 7:50 am

Programs: Amex Plat, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by msk6261
Any rec's on less expensive parking near this property?
You can try this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.