Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Tambo del Inka, Urubamba, Peru [Master Thread]

Old Feb 9, 2020, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Tambo del Inka, Urubamba, Peru [Master Thread]

Old Apr 6, 2012, 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by mabramovich
So, given the revenue rates are 266 all-in, would you guys say 4000 Starpoints plus $60 (or 4000+78 including taxes) is a good redemption value? I'm still trying to peg down the value of Starpoints when not redeeming across the airlines.
You'd be redeeming your points for 4.7 cents per point. My personal rule of thumb is to always use points when getting more than 3 cents in value. So it's a no-brainer IMO to do C&P.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
So, given the revenue rates are 266 all-in, would you guys say 4000 Starpoints plus $60 (or 4000+78 including taxes) is a good redemption value? I'm still trying to peg down the value of Starpoints when not redeeming across the airlines.
Well, I haven't stayed there yet. But in principle, yes, definitely.

Last edited by Thunderroad; Apr 7, 2012 at 12:30 am
Old Apr 7, 2012, 10:10 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Aeroplan 75K
Getting to hotel from Cuzco airoort

As others have mentioned on this thread, taking a taxi from Cuzco airport ranges from 60-80 soles.

I ran into an issue where the taxi agreed to 70 soles, but ended up stopping at various hotels in Cuzco trying to pick up additional riders!! I told him no more passengers and then he wanted 100soles for the trip. Needless to say, I got out of the taxi. It went better than expected as I stumbled upon a collectiv van heading to urubamba and it cost 30 soles (although the other local passengers were charged 20). The van was very clean and pretty new, so I thought it was a good deal.

On the way back from urubamba to Cuzco, you can get a taxi by the gas station when you take a right out of the hotel entrance (about 5 minute walk). Just leave your luggage at the hotel, and walk over to the gas station and have the taxi swing by the hotel to pick up your luggage. I wasn't able to get the fare down too much and ended up paying 80 soles to the airport (70 to cuzco downtown, probably too high based on the other posts, but no one wanted to drive down to Cuzco).

I was contemplating taking a collectiv, but wasn't sure when the next one would show up. I cannot speak Spanish and the local person told me where to wait (gas station when your turn left out of the hotel on the other side of the street), however I had a flight to catch so didn't want to risk it.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 7:12 pm

Programs: Military Space-A, UA Plat, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Gold
Having just checked out after 2 separate C&P stays (one before MP, one after), and already missing the place, I'd say it is YES worth the redemption. I also gave up my Platinum 500 amenity points both times to get the buffet breakfast for 2. The first stay was 2 nights, and the 500 points gets you buffet for both guests for all nights of your stay, so I thought that was a no-brainer. The second time, it was only for one night, but we did it anyway. It's just a nice place to have breakfast and hang out.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 7:07 am

I am at this hotel now and am about to head to breakfast. But a quick report is:

The good:
The hotel is spectacular and all of the staff is excellent. Food at the bar is great and the portions are huge (a burger can feed two). The rooms are well thought out and very comfortable.

The bad:
The hotel didn't know I was platinum so had not upgraded me before my arrival. Once here (and after I told them I am platinum) they said no junior suites were available. This was contra to the sgp site, which I checked in the room (after waiting an hour for an upgrade to a deluxe room). This isn't much issue as we aren't in the room much. Also, this hotel is firmly in the "breakfast or points or local amenity" camp. We picked breakfast, but it sounds like this hotel used the recent spg changes to decrease their service to plats.

Overall - the hotel is a great property and I am happy I can use spg points here.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 11:04 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
This thread has been incredibly helpful (not just about the hotel but about planning a trip to Machu Picchu in general).

So far, I've booked one night on the following schedule:

1. Arrive CUS on first flight from LIM. Take taxi to Tambo and check-in.
2. Explore Sacred Valley
3. Next morning, take taxi to Ollanta and catch train to Machu Picchu
4. Tickets already purchased for 10am(2nd group) climb of Huaynu Picchu
5. End of day, take train down and then head to CUS for the night (room book) and some exploring
6. Flight out the following morning

A couple of questions:
1. Does it make sense to leave my bags at Tambo while i'm at MP during the day or is there somewhere in Ollanta that I can store them? Otherwise, it sounds like I'd be taking a taxi from Ollanta to CUS with a pitstop at Tambo (unless that's no biggie or not out of the way)
2. Does it make sense to spend 2 nights at Tambo even though I do want to explore CUS a bit? Would you choose a 2nd night at Tambo or would you recommend the last nigth in CUS?

I realize it's a short/quick trip - it's just how I do it.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 6:29 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by OskiBear
A couple of questions:
1. Does it make sense to leave my bags at Tambo while i'm at MP during the day or is there somewhere in Ollanta that I can store them? Otherwise, it sounds like I'd be taking a taxi from Ollanta to CUS with a pitstop at Tambo (unless that's no biggie or not out of the way)
2. Does it make sense to spend 2 nights at Tambo even though I do want to explore CUS a bit? Would you choose a 2nd night at Tambo or would you recommend the last nigth in CUS?
We did one night at Tambo and one in Cusco, and in retrospect, would have done 2 at Tambo.
We left our bags at Tambo, had a taxi from the train take us to the hotel where we picked up our bags and showered/changed in the gym locker rooms while the cabbie waited for us, and continued on to Cusco.
After a day at MP, though, we were too tired to really explore Cusco, so had dinner and then went to sleep. Tambo is so relaxing and beautiful it would have been a nice change of pace after MP instead of only the day before.
The plus of spending the night in Cusco, though, is that you're right by the airport for your AM flight.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 7:50 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime PLT
Originally Posted by OskiBear
I have heard PeruRail has a bag check at the train station in Ollanta, which makes sense since they don't want you to bring large bags on the train. If you do have to go back to the Tambo though, it is on the way if you are taking a taxi. A train from MP straight to Cusco would also be an option though.

Originally Posted by Adam1222
After a day at MP, though, we were too tired to really explore Cusco, so had dinner and then went to sleep. Tambo is so relaxing and beautiful it would have been a nice change of pace after MP instead of only the day before.
The plus of spending the night in Cusco, though, is that you're right by the airport for your AM flight.
I concur.... We spent the last night in Cusco with plans to explore, but despite already being in the Sacred Valley for 3 days, the altitude in Cusco really hit us. All we managed to do was have dinner and go to sleep.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 1:22 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Thanks for the replies. This is making me think that I should just do the two nights at Tambo.

I was thinking that maybe I'd like to see some of Cusco but if I'm going to be too tired and it's going to be late, it certainly doesn't warrant spending the night there just for that.

I suspect the airport transit issue is just a longer ride in the morning but I've got a relatively late flight (10am) so it's not as bad as a 6/7am departure.

If anyone wants to offer a counter-point, I'm all ears!
Old May 2, 2012, 8:33 pm

Programs: Military Space-A, UA Plat, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by doctor15
I have heard PeruRail has a bag check at the train station in Ollanta, which makes sense since they don't want you to bring large bags on the train. If you do have to go back to the Tambo though, it is on the way if you are taking a taxi. A train from MP straight to Cusco would also be an option though.
Advise you to check the train schedule before you count on this. The train has been running only between Ollanta and Aguas Calientes, with the remainder on a bus -- not sure what the present status is.
Old May 7, 2012, 1:12 pm

Plan to try the breakfast buffet at the hotel and dinner at Tres Keros. Any other restaurant recommendations for breakfast/lunch/dinner?

Our flight will arrive in the am and as checkin is not until 3pm would like to stop somewhere along the way to tour. What place would be the easiest to get to from the airport Pisac, Moray, Maras etc. We plan on doing the full day tour of the sacred valley but would like to take advantage of our time and see something.
Old May 7, 2012, 3:00 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by frankcoton
Plan to try the breakfast buffet at the hotel and dinner at Tres Keros. Any other restaurant recommendations for breakfast/lunch/dinner?

Our flight will arrive in the am and as checkin is not until 3pm would like to stop somewhere along the way to tour. What place would be the easiest to get to from the airport Pisac, Moray, Maras etc. We plan on doing the full day tour of the sacred valley but would like to take advantage of our time and see something.
Not fancy, but delicious- Pizza Wasi (with a lot more than Pizza) in downtown Urubamba.

We checked in early at the hotel without a problem.
Old May 7, 2012, 4:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime PLT
Originally Posted by frankcoton
Our flight will arrive in the am and as checkin is not until 3pm would like to stop somewhere along the way to tour. What place would be the easiest to get to from the airport Pisac, Moray, Maras etc.
How are you getting to the hotel? Pisac should be right on the way.

We had a private guide to pick us up at 9am from the airport and were able to hit up Sacsayhuaman, kenko, awanacancha, and Pisac with a leisurely lunch and still get to the hotel around 4pm. We probably could have spent another hour at Pisac though if we weren't so tired.
Old May 7, 2012, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by doctor15
How are you getting to the hotel? Pisac should be right on the way.

We had a private guide to pick us up at 9am from the airport and were able to hit up Sacsayhuaman, kenko, awanacancha, and Pisac with a leisurely lunch and still get to the hotel around 4pm. We probably could have spent another hour at Pisac though if we weren't so tired.
I am looking into having a private guide pick us up at the airport. We will arrive in after 9am and I wanted somewhere to go on the way to the hotel, t I thought about Pisac but did not know how large it is, and if we would have enough time. I will look into doing something similar to what you did, Pisac, kenko, awanacancha etc. Thanks for the info.

Do you mind saying who you used as your tour guide.
Old May 10, 2012, 8:20 pm

I responded to an email from the concierge regarding room requests and asked about a room upgrade.
I am only Gold this year and was told that there is a $20 charge to be upgraded from a regular room to deluxe.

It looked like in the past that most of the Golds were upgraded. Is this charge something new?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.