Platinum Upgrade Successes 2008

Old Jan 1, 2008, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Nobody, AF FB Platinum, SIXT Diamond, Hertz PC, Bonvoy Ambassador
Platinum Upgrade Successes 2008

end of december: Nice upgrade to a suite with beautifull view on an 2 nights award stay at the Sheraton Clearwater, Florida. Excellent treatment of platinum members as I figured out.

/mod

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...03-2005-a.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...es-2006-a.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...es-2007-a.html

/mod

Last edited by SanDiego1K; May 2, 2010 at 11:47 pm
Old Jan 1, 2008, 11:00 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, *wood Platinum, Hertz President's Circle, A|Club Platinum, Avis President's Club
Thumbs up Sheraton On The Park Sydney

^ Arrived early in the AM on New Years Day. The hotel was almost fully booked, no suites available. Was given a Park view room for the night. Went up to the excellent 21st floor Executive Lounge for some free breakfast and coffee. Struck a conversation with the manager of the lounge, who suggested that in the future that I do my Platinum check-ins up there. He then told me that he would move me to a suite on the next day. His promise was fulfilled, I'm writing this from an exceptional corner suite on the 17th floor and will happily be calling this home for the next eight days. By the way, this stay is partly on points only (5 days with 1 of those "free") and partly on C+P (a total bargain at $60 + 4800 points).
Old Jan 5, 2008, 3:03 pm

Programs: BA/A3 Gold/SPG Plat
Dec. 31, 2007

Sheraton Taipei
Two Superior rooms both upgrade to Executive Deluxe room in club floor.

Sheraton Taipei also provide a New Year's Eve Special Dinner in Club Lounge from 17.30 to 19.30 on the date of New Year's Eve. Served with cocktails and light buffet, Champagne served until 00.30. ^

Jan. 1, 2008

Four Points by Sheraton Taipei
Superior room upgrade to Deluxe room, a kind of "Standard upgrade" in this hotel, and hotel will offer complementary dessert - last time was apple pie, this time is pineapple pie what's the next? I will check-in this hotel again on Jan.7
Old Jan 6, 2008, 6:10 am

Programs: AA 2 MM Plt, *wood Plt
Westin Maui - Fantastic Ocean Front Suite
This was a week before Thanksgiving, and the hotel was filling up with the fans and families of college students, due to a NCAA basketball tournament in Lahaina that week. As SPG PLT, we must have been one of the few guests with status, as the upgrade was a huge jump from what was booked.
Booked a one-night paid, two night promo stay. (Remember the stay 4, get free weekend night promo last year?) Both reservations were booked for garden view, so we were thrilled to be upgraded (to what we were told was a $1900/night suite.)
Room was on a corner, so we had balconies (five total!) facing the pool and the ocean. Huge bathroom with jacuzzi tub, large living/dining room with big screen TV and DVD player, big bedroom. When we weren't on the sand watching the sunset, we were on our balcony with a cocktail. Simply wonderful stay. Could not have been more pleased with the room, and so glad we were PLT.
Old Jan 7, 2008, 9:40 am

Programs: UA 1P; SPG Plat;
Stays during December included:

Westin Grand, Washington, D.C.- Upgraded room, non-suite.
W Court- Suites on 2 different stays.
Westin LAX- Upgraded room on SPG floor.
Sheraton LAX- Suites on club floor on 2 differenct stays.
4 Points LAX- Suite.

(And made Platinum again with 2 stays to spare!...thank you double stay promo!). ^
Old Jan 7, 2008, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Westin Alexandria: Executive Corner Studio Suite
Westin Peach Tree: ~1,000 sq ft Georgia Suite on 68th floor. Amazing view
W Montreal: Amazing WOW bi-level loft suite facing Victoria Sq. 20 ft floor to ceiling windows, amazing staff and treatment
Westin Bonaventure: Usual 1 bedroom suite
Old Jan 7, 2008, 6:13 pm

Programs: QF,VS,SQ,SPG,IC
So far this year, all in Sydney.

Stay 1- Sheraton On The Park- Park View Executive Suite
Stay 2- Four Points Darling Harbour- Harbour View Suite
Stay 3- Sheraton On The Park- Park View Room
Old Jan 8, 2008, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Two stays at the Westin Auckland Lighter Quay...

First Stay: Upgraded to large (600 sq. ft. or so) corner Junior Suite, with a large balcony overlooking the central pond/maori statue, and a small side balcony overlooking a tiny sliver of the harbor. LCD TV, small sitting area, work-desk, and massive bathroom with separate glassed-in shower w/monsoon showerhead and large soaking tub.

Second Stay: Received only a harbour-view room (not even corner). It was still nicely appointed, but I much preferred the Junior Suite we were given on the first stay. The minor disappointment was likely also due to coming back to AKL after being upgraded to the Penthouse Suite at the Sofitel Queenstown, which positively blew out of the water any SPG room I have ever received (and SPG has given me some extremely nice rooms).

Will post pictures once I get them off my camera and onto flickr.
Old Jan 8, 2008, 9:13 am

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
Dec 2007, as a Plat :
SGS Bangkok - 3 nights award stay, upgraded to grande suite. Free drinks, internet, breakfast, laundry.
Sheraton Krabi - 4 nights award stay, "upgraded" to Zen room on top floor, no suite upgrade. Only free internet at the library.
SGS Bangkok - 1 night award stay on 26th, upgraded to grande suite. Same freebies as above.

BTW, really loves the free drinks & breakfast buffet in SGS. Buffet spread filled us till evening. Drinks are offered off the menu, not just house wine, so I've been the yellow label bubbly the entire time.
Old Jan 8, 2008, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Anglo Large Clawed Otter

First Stay: ... corner Junior Suite, ...and massive bathroom with separate glassed-in shower w/monsoon showerhead and large soaking tub.
You should have asked for Harbour corner room like I said in my review! These rooms are more spacious than the junior suite (jr suites are awkward because of the bathroom in the middle. That long hall way is pretty useless) The Harbour corner room's bathrooms are twice as big as jr suite's

Hey, you never repsponded me in the thread. Are you married now?
Old Jan 8, 2008, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by BlissWorld
You should have asked for Harbour corner room like I said in my review! These rooms are more spacious than the junior suite (jr suites are awkward because of the bathroom in the middle. That long hall way is pretty useless) The Harbour corner room's bathrooms are twice as big as jr suite's

Hey, you never repsponded me in the thread. Are you married now?
Engaged, yes ...married in Spring of '09 (She has to finish Med School first).

I think I may have gotten a different Junior Suite than you. There was no long corridor, but a sitting area immediately upon entering, with the bathroom just to the left. The bedroom itself was just beyond, and somewhat spacious, though not huge. I'll have to check your flickr photos to compare. Will also alert you once the Penthouse Pics from the Sofitel Queenstown are up:

Two livingrooms with 50+ inch plasmas, full dining table with chandelier, full kitchen with espresso maker, washer/dryer, massive balcony with hot-tub overlooking the Lake and Remarkables Mountain Range, plush bedroom with a bed that puts the W's bed to shame, and 1.5 baths, with the master bathroom being huge, having an Amazing shower with excellent monsoon showerhead, and large soaking tub next to wall-mounted TV. The huge gas fireplace and lighting-control center (all manner of dimming/brightening combos) were also quite cool.
Old Jan 8, 2008, 9:47 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
4 stays in the US to start the year. Not overly great Plat treatment, but then again most of my stays are in Europe where you can often snag a suite as a Gold from past experience.

Westin Savannah - Deluxe River View.
No upgrade, although they tried to tell me I had been upgraded. Had to ask for a Platinum amenity. Great breakfast the day after though.

Westin Hilton Head - Upgrade to a deluxe room with balcony.
Place was virtually empty and it looked like they were doing a bit of renovation work whilst it was quiet. Person at check-in didn't notice I was Platinum, so had to ask at which point she found the prepared pack for us. Had to then ask for a Platinum amenity as it wasn't offered. Hotel was nice enough view. Great view from the room and they gave us some vouchers for drinks and breakfast as the lounge was shut.

Sheraton North Charleston - Upgraded to club room
First hotel to actually make a comment that I was a Platinum member and offer the amenity without prompting. Nice friendly service and staff at the hotel.

Sheraton Myrtle Beach - Upgraded to club room
Again, full recognition at the hotel. Early check-in wasn't a problem and a nice friendly welcome. Club Lounge was closed for breakfast, so again we were given vouchers for the main restaurant.
Old Jan 8, 2008, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Anglo Large Clawed Otter
Engaged, yes ...married in Spring of '09 (She has to finish Med School first).
:-: CONGRATULATIONS!!! :-:

Yes please post the sofitel pics
Old Jan 9, 2008, 1:49 am

Programs: Marriott -Lifetime Platinum. A3 Gold (ex-Aeroplan-E50), Skymiles Gold, Hertz Gold, HH Gold
Le Meridien - Singapore
Suite upgrade, not sure which type, but the living room was decent sized. Property is a bit old, though.

Sheraton Park Lane - London
Park view suite. The staff and service here continue to be excellent.

LM Hong Kong - Cyberport
Upgrade to a very large and very nice suite (1112), two bathrooms, living room, and bedroom. Staff and service absolutely perfect, slight language barriers notwithstanding. Free drinks in the bar, and in a first (at least for me), a nice bottle of Hermes cologne in the bathroom, as well as a bottle of wine.
Old Jan 9, 2008, 4:17 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, Hyatt LT Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
An upcoming reservation (in the next few weeks) is showing that I've already been upgraded from a Spectacular to Mega room at the W Union Square. I like this proactive approach!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.