Wiki Posts
Search

Aloft Harlem (pre-opening discussion)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2010, 5:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Platinum, others
Aloft Harlem (pre-opening discussion)

Continuing on the theme of "boy, a lot of hotels are opening this summer", I'm hoping the aloft Harlem opens on the July 1 date mentioned on the site. Anyone been by to assess progress lately?

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/alofth...ropertyID=3353

I saw it about 8 months ago, and it had a LONG way to go. That said, the uptown market is dying for a place like this. There's really not much decent in Manhattan north of Lincoln Center.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 11:58 pm

The web page now says August 19.

Can anyone describe what the area of this hotel is like?
Old Jun 22, 2010, 5:37 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
What exactly would you like to know?

I doubt it will open in August

I took these about a month ago.

Old Jun 22, 2010, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by Cheap Elite
What exactly would you like to know?
The usual things when you are considering a property for a vacation. Is the immediate area appealing? Is this an area that a woman would feel comfortable walking back to at 2 AM? Would you want to spend 5 nights here? Having considered it, with my limited knowledge, I would tend to think that if you are hanging out, for example, in the East Village at night, it might feel a bit far to get back to. However, I'm thinking it might be good for 2-3 nights where you make a point of seeing the tourist attractions in this area.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by WillTravel
The usual things when you are considering a property for a vacation. Is the immediate area appealing? Is this an area that a woman would feel comfortable walking back to at 2 AM? Would you want to spend 5 nights here? Having considered it, with my limited knowledge, I would tend to think that if you are hanging out, for example, in the East Village at night, it might feel a bit far to get back to. However, I'm thinking it might be good for 2-3 nights where you make a point of seeing the tourist attractions in this area.
I would answer 'yes' to all of your questions and the property is right near the A express train which will get you to the East Village (with one transfer) in under an hour. It is a great, up-and-coming area and I wish I had some real money to buy property in it!

Edit: Forgot to mention that it is right near a major police station too!
Old Jun 22, 2010, 12:47 pm

Thanks, that sounds encouraging. I hope they have some great introductory rates.

If you do come up with some cash, there is an associated condo project too.

http://apexcondominiums.com/
Old Jun 22, 2010, 1:36 pm

Harlem is really undergoing a renaissance, at least in the areas that hug 125th street. I think it will be totally transformed in 5-10 years time. Columbia University has bought up the entire west side near the river at 125th, and is building a huge new campus there which will bring major changes to that area as well.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 3:09 am

According to this article, they are hiring staff for August, and giving pre-screened applicants interviews today (Wednesday) at a job fair at the Apollo Theater.

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...FREE/100629949
Old Jul 28, 2010, 1:41 am

The website no longer lists a date:
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/alofth...ropertyID=3353

It does say that it is accepting reservations for Oct. 15 and later.
Old Oct 2, 2010, 12:25 pm
Suspended

The opening date has been pushed back to October 21. I don't think they will make that date as they don't have a lobby.

Furniture, for some rooms, has been delivered, but those rooms look awfully small. It also appears they've reopened the windows on the upper floors.

Old Oct 6, 2010, 12:36 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Alaska, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver
Aloft Harlem

I see an Aloft is opening this month in Harlem (123rd and Fredrick Douglas Blvd)

I am planning a visit to NYC in November to visit my son who in school at Manhattan College in Riverdale (245th & Broadway). I have stayed at the Westin Times Square and the 4Points Chelsea in the past.

But it is a long subway or taxi ride to the Bronx from these hotels and so I was looking at the new Aloft which is much closer.

Does anyone know the neighborhood? It is 4 long blocks to walk to the 125th st #1 line station. Is it safe to walk in that area? I am a marathon walker so the walking distance isn't an issue.

Thanks
Old Oct 6, 2010, 2:39 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by woot
I see an Aloft is opening this month in Harlem (123rd and Fredrick Douglas Blvd)

I am planning a visit to NYC in November to visit my son who in school at Manhattan College in Riverdale (245th & Broadway). I have stayed at the Westin Times Square and the 4Points Chelsea in the past.

But it is a long subway or taxi ride to the Bronx from these hotels and so I was looking at the new Aloft which is much closer.

Does anyone know the neighborhood? It is 4 long blocks to walk to the 125th st #1 line station. Is it safe to walk in that area? I am a marathon walker so the walking distance isn't an issue.

Thanks
aloft Harlem opens Aug 19 2010

The walk isn't to bad, but you can take a cross town bus on 125 street to the 1 train. The area is as safe as any other area in a major urban city.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 4:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Bonecrusher
How is the Aloft in Harlem going, you passed by lately?
Date pushed back again. The word "Aloft" has been installed on the building.

I don't think this is going to open for a while!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQgXnGt1sog
Old Oct 23, 2010, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA Plt, Marriott Gold, National EE, Hertz PC, El Mambero De Mucci, PWP Aide to Generalissimo Godot
This is getting ridiculous. SPG and Aloft have really dropped the ball on this one. $125 a nite rates better be available to make up for this blunder.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 2:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by El_Chiflero
This is getting ridiculous. SPG and Aloft have really dropped the ball on this one. $125 a nite rates better be available to make up for this blunder.
.......and the rooms look T I N Y. I can see all three wall of the rooms from the street. The look smaller than the rooms at the 4Points in Chelsea.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.