Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Westin Excelsion Rome 2002-2006 [MasterThread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Excelsion Rome 2002-2006 [MasterThread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2002, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Arrow Westin Excelsion Rome 2002-2006 [MasterThread]

Please provide me with any information you may have regarding the location or quality of rooms at this property, or reccomendations with better properties.
Old Jan 20, 2002, 1:57 pm

finished a stay in Oct 01 and swore NEVER to return. In fact in Dec 01 on a return I stayed at the St Regis (for roughly the same amount).

Stay at the St Regis if you can.

The service is very poor (attitude and performance), the rooms are in a "worn" condition. I wrote a nice letter to SPG and the GM of the hotel explaining my issues. Got a nice reply but still will not stay there again.
Old Jan 20, 2002, 2:03 pm

doctor,

I stay at the Excelsior for a week every 6-8 weeks; last stay in November '01. The hotel has been under renovation for much of the past year. The area being worked on seems to change every visit, so they are making good progress. That being said...

The Excelsior is like most other European "grand hotels" with some really fabulous rooms and some tiny closet-like "rooms". I have stayed in some of the rooms facing the via Veneto which were huge but had not yet been renovated. These had rather tatty decor and old fixtures in the bathrooms. There are also a large number of rooms with interior courtyard (read = no) view, as the hotel is laid out around two central courtyards. The rooms on the back side (East) of the hotel have mostly been renovated - electronic keys, Heavenly Beds, updated marble baths (some with separate showers). The South side of the hotel faces the US Embassy, and also has the larger sized rooms.

Location is great - walking distance to most major tourist sites, metro entrance two blocks away (about a 10 minute walk to the actual station), parking garage (if you are brave enough to drive in Rome), and the large park at the Villa Borghese 3-4 blocks away, great for jogging. Good service but you pay for that and the location in the rates.

There are a number of other 1st class hotels in the area (Marriott, Majestic, Ambasciatori Palace). The St. Regis Grand is about 1 km away near the Piazza della Repubblica - a slightly swankier hotel in a slightly less desirable location.

If your destination is Rome itself and you have no plans to venture out into the countryside, you can't go wrong staying the Excelsior. Make sure to ask for one of the renovated rooms when you check in.

I have also stayed at a number of other hotels in Rome; e-mail me if you'd like info on a specific property.

DFW DL
Old Jan 22, 2002, 9:02 am

Stayed there last year. Loved the hotel, very grand old place, had a great room, but found the front desk staff as well as the concierge staff somewhere between disinterested and downright chilly. Everyone else (doormen, porters, waiters, chambermaids) was nice.
Old Jan 22, 2002, 9:19 am

I stayed there in November on an award stay and was very dissappointed. As mentioned before, the front desk staff was chilly and our room, though nicely decorated, was quite small. This was despite the fact that I'm Platinum and required a third bed be placed in the room. No upgrade and a "courtyard" view to boot. Construction is ongoing and is quite noisy very early in the morning.

Another disturbing event: the doorman flat-out lied to me upon my arrival. I had been having a disagreement with the taxi driver over the fare. I knew from past experience that the fare was metered from the airport with several surcharges added to it (aiport fee, luggage, late night, etc.) The driver was claiming it was a flat rate. I told the driver we'd settle it by asking the doorman, who corroborated the taximan's story. I checked the following day with the tourist police and I had been correct. And yes, I do speak italian so it was not a miscommunication. What a bad way to kick off a vacation!

Stay at the St. Regis. I've only heard wonderful things
Old Jan 22, 2002, 5:12 pm

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
I did stay at the St. Regis and can confirm that it is really fantastic. However, the front desk staff were very cold and formal, just as described for the Westin. Maybe, that's the way it is in Rome! The staff at the Gritti Palace in Venice and the Principi de Savoia in Milan were very friendly, so it's not a general problem with Starwood in Italy. The manager of the Gritti even sent me a Christmas card.
Old Jan 22, 2002, 7:37 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
I stayed at the Excelsior two years ago and really loved the room! It was huge! Beautiful furnishings, high ceilings, gorgeous bathroom, etc.

The manager, Anna I believe her name was, was incredible. I do agree that the front staff is poor and not extremely helpful though. Only one thing went wrong-- I left a number of things (gifts, artwork I had purchased, etc.) with the concierge on my last day to be mailed back and I never received any of my items (I was going to be travelling for another 2 months). The location really is good - easy to get to the sites, bus, etc.
Old Feb 17, 2002, 8:02 am

WESTIN ROME

Reviews ?
Old Feb 17, 2002, 9:36 am

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
Do a search on Westin Excelsior Rome and you'll find a ton of 'em! In short though, the hotel was AWESOME! I was just there last month on my honeymoon and the property is beautiful and in a great location. You're within walking distance of the Spanish Steps and the metro. The staff was extremely attentive and pleasant (except for the concierge... they were a bit distant and indifferent but still got the job done). The room was absolutely huge and it was gorgeous. Immaculate and very comfortable. My only nitpick would be with the ventilation system which output prodigous heat and ONLY heat. We ended up leaving it off and opening the windows. All in all I'd give it a 9/10.

One thing to note is that if you want a hotel gym there isn't one. There's a gym down the street that you can use for a fee but I preferred going for a walk in the park at the end of the Via Venetto (it's gorgeous!)

[This message has been edited by kanebear (edited 02-17-2002).]
Old Jun 25, 2002, 2:25 am

Westin Excelsior Rome [Master Thread]

I am making one of my periodic visits to the Westin Excelsior in Rome. A word of caution for fellow FT'ers who may be booked here in the near future - the hotel is experiencing problems with its air conditioning system. Have complained to management several times and there is no word on when it will be fixed. Since it has been in the 90's (30-35 C) for the last week, it's been mighty uncomfortable.

That being said, the Excelsior is still a first-class hotel, well-recommended for those of you traveling to Rome. But forwarned is forearmed....
Old Dec 3, 2002, 9:24 pm

How is the Westin Rome?

I am thinking af cashing some starwood points to stay at the Westin Rome, which looks like decent deal for 10,000 points/night. I was quite impressed with the pictures on the spg.com site for this property, but realize that I will not likely see a room that nice.

What are peoples' thoughts on this hotel. Is it worth the points?

I am SPG gold if it matters.

Thank you.
Old Dec 4, 2002, 9:23 am
LLM
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We're staying there this summer on a five-night award. I've emailed them about a few things and they were so helpful. I used points to upgrade to a junior suite and they have blocked the only non-smoking one in the hotel for us.
Old Dec 4, 2002, 12:08 pm

I would definitely say it's worth 10K points a night. We stayed there summer 2001, and there was quite a bit of construction, but I imagine it's done by now. Our room overlooked the US Embassy and it's a very convenient location to Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain, etc... Try renting Roman Holiday with Audrey Hepburn and Gregory Peck before you go!
Old Dec 5, 2002, 1:42 am

The complete refurbishment at the Westin was completed April 2002 and it looks fantastic. All rooms have been redone.

My wife and I were just there weekend of Nov 22 2002. Upgraded (SPG Gold) to a beautiful Grand Luxe room on the 6th floor with large terrace overlooking Via Veneto. Location is ideal. 10k a night is a steal.

Stayed at the St. Regis Grand in Rome in Nov 2001. Also luxurious, but sadly the service was poor. It felt like they were doing us a favor letting us stay there. Further, the location is not ideal.

I'll email you with a link of full reviews that I have done for another website.

-Joe

PS. I have some hi-res pictures of the room, lobby, and bathrooms if you need.

[This message has been edited by jetsetting (edited 12-05-2002).]
Old Dec 5, 2002, 5:19 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
The Westin and the St Reis are literally five minutes apart on foot. We had an incredible experience at the St Regis in Oct 2002. Walked into the lobby of the Westin and was not impressed. Obviously, the lobby isn't everything, but it is probably fair to say based on all I have read on this board that either hotel is a 5 star experience, and that one could be quite happy at either property.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.