Wiki Posts
Search

LANGKAWI : Andaman vs Westin vs Sheraton

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2010, 9:33 am
Suspended
Original Poster

LANGKAWI : Andaman vs Westin vs Sheraton

Thought I would do a comparison now that we have 3 very different properties to choose from.

1) Westin is just 5 min drive from the main commercial centre Kuah but bear in mind most of the shops/restaurants here cater to locals unlike Pantai Cenang (think Patong but much milder) which is a tourist strip.

2) Sheraton is only 10 min from the airport, and somewhat isolated. There are a couple of restaurants down the road (probably 10 min walk but I dont suggest walking) and the closest commercial area are the cluster of tourist shops/restaurants on both sides of Telaga Harbour which is about 5-10 min drive uphill.

3) Andaman is located deep in the rain forest with practically nothing in the vicinity except for a neighbouring resort The Datai and the Golf Club. Nearest offsite shops/restaurants are a good 20-25 min drive at Telaga Harbour mentioned above.

ROOMS

1) Westin has newish modern rooms, majority with balconies and view. Quite a number of suites (and also new villas). Heavenly Bed and 42 inch plasma tv are standard features. Fair chance of a suite upgrade.

2) Sheraton rooms have also been refurbished and furnished with Sweet Sleeper Bed and 32inch LCD. The chalet styled rooms (cluster of 4 per block) are of timber contructions and suffers from poor sound insulation (especially footsteps) and the rooms feels dark. These rooms have a large varendah with a sofa bench and dining table. There are a few suites but mostly garden view.

3) Andaman rooms though renovated is uninspiring. There is no proper balcony (only a step down area with standing room), beds are not pillow-top & comes with blankets (rather than duvets), and LCD tv are small and looks more like 26 inch (rather than 32 inch as advertised). Bathroom is decent but looks a little too "funky" for a resort of this nature. The Lanai rooms on the first level has a deck with 2 loungers but no seaview. Platinums can expect upgrade to either Seaview or Lanai rooms.

BEACH

1) Andaman's beach on Datai Bay is very nice with fine sand and fairly clear waters. Monkeys do come down from the forest at certain times and roam the beach. Fairly quiet and long beach (shared with Datai next door) with no motorised sport allowed.

2) Sheraton shoreline is rather rocky with small stretches of sand/beach. Decent views but not much of a "beach".

3) Westin has a long stretch of beach with coarse sand and murkey waters. During low tide (which lasts from late afternoon to late morning) the beach can get quite unsightly with muddy base exposed.

POOL

1) Westin has several pools including a huge infinity pool.

2) Andaman has a large irregular shape pool with plenty of trees inbetween giving it a jungle feel.

3) Sheraton's pool is rather small for a resort of this size. They have extended the deck area next to the pool providing additional loungers. Apparently there are plans to build a second pool.

ATMOSPHERE

1) Andaman is quite unique being in the middle of a rainforest. Its usually very quiet with sounds of insects/wildlife from the jungle and lapping waves from the sea in the background.

2) Sheratons ground is undulating and very much spread out with plenty of trees giving it a tropical feel. Since they cater to large groups, the resort can get busy/noisy at times.

3) Westin feels modern and sterile. The "layers" of islands in the background gives it a mystical feel, with ferries plying the waters in front of the resort.

BREAKFAST

1) Andaman : basic buffet spread but without the madness of a large resort. comp for platinums.

2) Sheraton : quite good spread but rather busy, comp for platinum.

3) Westin : quite good spread but rather busy, no free breakfast (unless they have changed their policy recently)

INTERNET

1) Andaman : free wifi but signal can be very weak in certain rooms.

2) Sheraton : free at Sheraton Link but limitted to 45 min per room per day. Broadband in room is something like MYR60 per day.

3) Westin : comp for plat in business centre (probably limitted to 1hr per stay)

SERVICE

Fairly decent in all 3 resorts but very inconsistent.

AIRPORT LOUNGE

Westin has an airport lounge but you pay for food and drinks consumed. Non-Westin guests can "enter" for a small fee (MYR10 ?). Do take note that this is the only lounge at LGK since Malaysia Airlines closed their Golden Lounge at the end of 2009.

Last edited by mario33; Jan 20, 2010 at 9:47 am
Old Jan 20, 2010, 10:08 am

Programs: AC-E, SPG-Plat, GP-P, HH-G
thanks for the recap

This will really assist in choosing a hotel in the area.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 10:12 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Good comparison. I think there is a thread about this already (surprise huh) and would be beneficial to have it all in one place.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 10:22 am

Smile

thanks! this is a great post. ^^

anyone have any experiences to share?

since i'm based in the US, i'm most interested about comparisons between Langkawi and other locations which are closer to the US (mexico, costa rica, south america, etc). any thoughts/suggestions?
Old Jan 20, 2010, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Nice, useful post. Thanks!
Old Jan 23, 2010, 3:46 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by mario33
During low tide (which lasts from late afternoon to late morning) the beach can get quite unsightly with muddy base exposed.
Thanks for the review, very telling. What drives those unique tides?
Old Feb 18, 2010, 11:32 pm
rf8

Programs: Starwood Preferred Guest
Langkawi

I've never posted before but wanted to provide some thoughts about the Westin Langkawi, given all the info I've gotten in the past from Flyertalk.

--
Stayed 5 days at the Westin Langkawi in February 2010 using points. Rented a car and drove everywhere on the island. Was absolutely thrilled with our stay and loved Langkawi.

HIGHLIGHTS:
Location - the Westin is located in Kuah. I believe it's the most convenient as there are plenty of food options in Kuah (recommend Wonderland) and Pantai Cenang is only about 15 minute drive away (the tourist strip). Drove to the Andaman and found it far and isolated. Also drove pass the Sheraton and think the Westin's location (especially for activities like island hopping, scuba, snorkel) which embark from Kuah is much better.

Lobby - Its among the most gorgeous sea views I've seen in a hotel. Open air, unobstructed view of the ocean. Gorgeous mountains and sunsets. The Andaman (for drinks) is a view of the jungle. I didn't find it as impressive.

Service - everyone was super polite and getting my car in/out easy. Wake up calls/2 water bottles daily/smiles everywhere

Infinity pool - simply gorgeous. not crowded either.

SPG - as a Gold, I was upgraded to a partial sea view room. The view was so-so (mainly of pool) but the room was spacious and comfortable with a nice, modern bathroom, great bed, and a sofa. 1st cocktails nightly were complimentary in the Breeze lounge (not sure if Gold or everyone), 1 hr Internet in business lounge or wifi in lobby (with provided password) per day, late check out, and list of things to be bought with Starwood points (massages, souveneirs, etc.) During mid-stay, we received complimentary bottle of wine and a fruit basket.

Westin Airport lounge - it was just a room with several sofas, three computers, and food options (that you pay for), but I really liked the Lounge. I don't regularly get airport lounge access and they comped my first food and drink (don't think that's standard). Had a great salmon sandwich, mango juice and was able to surf the web, watch CNN, use a private bathroom, in a nice air conditioned room. Quite comfy while waiting for the flight....given how barebones the Langkawi airport is (an old 27"tube tv on a stand was the tv for the waiting area, no A/C), I thought this was a great perk.

NEGATIVES:

Food/Price - there are several hotel restaurants but they are very pricey when you learn what the local currency/value is. Had buffet....food was ok, but not great. My most expensive meal on the island.

Conferences - I believe a lot of companies hold conferences here. There were two during our stay. Not really a negative, but for those who want to truly get away, the Andaman is prob more isolated. I only noticed the conferences one night when they did a presentation near the business center and played great music all night.

Beach - isn't the nicest, but you can walk along it to the Spa Center/pass the amazing Villas. The water isn't really to get into here, but you have the infinity pool and a nice Jetty walkway (we were dropped off there from island hopping)

Overall, I thought the Westin Langkawi was fantastic and satisfied all my hopes. Langkawi was a paradise as well and still undiscovered/uncrowded compared to Thailand, Hawaii, etc.

Hope this helps someone.....

Last edited by rf8; Feb 21, 2010 at 9:22 am
Old Mar 15, 2010, 2:41 pm

Just got back from LGK after a five night stay – with 3 nights at Westin and 2at Andaman

Westin
Was UG''d to Royal Suite at check-in. Front desk staff excellent. Lobby is fantastic, however rooms areas and rooms themselves look quite tired - carpeting in hallways in particular are in pretty poor condition.

Found pool area also less than expected and landscaping around the hotel not in good condition (although to be fair I understand they have had a heatwave). Lawns were very brown and worn. Pool also looks like it needs some maintenance (grout looking in poor condition).

Breakfast buffet was great. Evening meal at Tides was just OK, with only satisfactory service.

Andaman

Drove up to Andaman (cheap car hire at airport, about $100 for the five days). Loved the atmosphere and feel. Yes it's a long way from anywhere else (other than the Datai next door), but we just felt it was offering more of what we were looking for during our holiday.

Checked in and given Presidential Suite. Overall found the service, food, beach and grounds to be superb. Often I've found that when a hotel goes through a period of change (only became *wood recently), that service can suffer. But not here. Everything was excellent - especially recommend dinner at the Gulai House.

Bottom line - both hotels are nice, Westin has better location if you want to be closer to Kuah and outside restaurants but felt a little tired and in need of a good clean up and some money spent. Andaman has much more of a "classic" SE Asian feel about it, on the north side of the island and in the lush rainforest (plenty of monkeys!).

Would be happy to stay again at both - but I’d recommend the Andaman over the Westin by a fair margin.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
great posts guys....this will definitely help me decide where to stay when mrs saad & i visit langkawi in a couple of months....
Old Mar 24, 2010, 5:41 pm

Programs: AA,DL,BA,UA,SPG, and any other free trip!
Westin sounds good but the beaches no good?

These are great reviews.....lotta questions I had about the Westin, but it sounds like the beaches are no good.....so did you guys find a nice clean beach with great waters for snorkeling etc?

I might have to book a local hotel chain like Berjaya if I cant find something......also got 35Pts and Gold member status....Will I get at least a room with a view of the sea??
Old Mar 25, 2010, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mrx900
These are great reviews.....lotta questions I had about the Westin, but it sounds like the beaches are no good.....so did you guys find a nice clean beach with great waters for snorkeling etc?
The beach at the Westin is no good in the morning, when it is low tide. But by late morning/early afternoon, it was fine (though I imagine the timings could vary with the timing of the tides - this was a few weeks ago). Except the water was like a bathtub, even warmer than the pools!
Old Mar 25, 2010, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA,DL,BA,UA,SPG, and any other free trip!
Originally Posted by ijgordon
The beach at the Westin is no good in the morning, when it is low tide. But by late morning/early afternoon, it was fine (though I imagine the timings could vary with the timing of the tides - this was a few weeks ago). Except the water was like a bathtub, even warmer than the pools!
is there any colorful fish to check out near shore or do you have to go way out and scuba? We suck at swimming heheh
Old May 7, 2010, 3:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
so finally decided to go with the sheraton for my trip later this month....

got a great set/corporate rate which is about 40% cheaper than the other 2 properties....

the comp breakfast for plats will also help since there are 3 of us traveling....

i will be back later this year & want to stay at the andaman....however, people who have stayed there tell me that it still needs a lot of work before it turns into a 'must stay' property....
Old May 7, 2010, 5:20 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
I just booked a few nights at the Andaman around Christmas. Should be a nice trip - given the category and the list price even with a good SET, the award choice is obvious.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 10:58 pm
Community Director Emerita

For those who have stayed at both the Andaman and Westin, how would you split a 3 night trip? Which hotel should get 2 nights and which hotel one night?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.