Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Best Star Alliance Gold lounge in HKG?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Star Alliance Gold lounge in HKG?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2017, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by zeer0
Except the UA food is gross, while the SQ food is quite delicious. The SQ dimsum and Haagen Daz fridge alone are enough to destroy any of the stale offerings UA has. SQ also has a good bartender.
Sound like you have only been there during the morning.

You will be surprised with UA's offering for lunch/dinner.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 1:21 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by garykung
Sound like you have only been there during the morning.

You will be surprised with UA's offering for lunch/dinner.
I'll give you that. But you do realize most if not all of UA's own flights depart in the morning.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
But you do realize most if not all of UA's own flights depart in the morning.
I give you that as well. As of this moment, UA only 1 flight scheduled for evening departures.

FWIW - UC @ HKG does have some good food.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 3:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by garykung

SQ's food selection are rarely changed. While SQ used to offer some nice food right after the renovation, the food item was pulled due to issues associated with passengers.
I am surprised to read the above. Was it temporary?

I have been to the SQ HK Lounge a few times in recent weeks and I have not noticed any food items were pulled. In fact, I have noticed more items been added. The cook-to-order Laksa and Wonton Soup noodle are also available.

Without reading your comments above, I was under the impression SQ has been trying to upgrade its internationally located Silverkris Lounge offerings recently. I have also been to the SQ lounge in Sydney and Bangkok (brand new lounge) recently and observed improvement in food offerings as well as fixtures.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 3:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I am surprised to read the above. Was it temporary?
More like permanent.

I have been to the SQ HK Lounge a few times in recent weeks and I have not noticed any food items were pulled.
Because the particular food item in question has been pulled way before you know it.

Hint - it was a seafood-related item.

In fact, I have noticed more items been added.
It was the same menu after all.

The cook-to-order Laksa and Wonton Soup noodle are also available.
Do you know how long these have been on the order-to-cook menu?

The Laksa is always there (I don't blame them given it is SQ). At a time, an alternative was provided for Wonton Soup noodle - Hong Kong-styled Fish Ball Rice noodle, but switched back after a while.

Without reading your comments above, I was under the impression SQ has been trying to upgrade its internationally located Silverkris Lounge offerings recently.
SQ has improved its food quality served within SKL.

However - it does not mean the menu changes.

I have also been to the SQ lounge in Sydney and Bangkok (brand new lounge) recently and observed improvement in food offerings as well as fixtures.
Can't comment as I was never in those airports.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 8:15 pm

UA all the way

have tried SQ, TG and UA lounges (the Priority Pass ones as well)

UA wins hands down! Great breakfast, infused water, turkey on thxgiving, much better variety and quality than the others. The other lounges were serving the same food, unlike UA's which was different and much better. Hard to believe thats a UA club given the shabby ones back in the states!

This and the one @ LHR are the only ones worth using those 1 time passes on imho

Not to say there is no scope for improvement - namely the showers!

Last edited by ricktassie; Aug 12, 2017 at 8:26 pm
Old Aug 12, 2017, 2:17 am

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Can we set up a poll on here? I just fail to believe that the actual majority opinion is in favor of the UA lounge.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just fail to believe that the actual majority opinion is in favor of the UA lounge.
UC @ HKG is almost the best within the UC system (not sure if LHR is better than HKG or not).

However, both SQ and TG are not as well managed as their lounges at their home bases.

FWIW - the competition did not start until the SKL @ HKG has renovated. From that you can tell the SKL's reputation.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 2:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Can we set up a poll on here? I just fail to believe that the actual majority opinion is in favor of the UA lounge.
I've never been that impressed with the UC at HKG. Food is definitely better at SKL IMO.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 5:46 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Depends what your "food" preferences are I guess. I don't care for the type of food in the UA lounge but that is just my preference--at least a few here like UA's offerings.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 10:00 pm

Programs: BA
I will have access to the First class section of the star alliance lounges, are the SKL showers (as SQ F lounge do not have their own showers) better than the UA First showers?
Old Aug 15, 2017, 2:22 am

Originally Posted by hakzai
I will have access to the First class section of the star alliance lounges, are the SKL showers (as SQ F lounge do not have their own showers) better than the UA First showers?
I've heard only good things about the SQ F lounge. It's usually empty and they have made-to-order dishes (I believe most are Singaporian). I'd expect the UA F lounge to be busier.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 3:11 am

Programs: BA
I've heard only good things about the SQ F lounge. It's usually empty and they have made-to-order dishes (I believe most are Singaporian). I'd expect the UA F lounge to be busier.
Thanks for the feedback, but I am more interested in the showers as I would be coming directly from work and will be having lobster on TG F.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by hakzai
Thanks for the feedback, but I am more interested in the showers as I would be coming directly from work and will be having lobster on TG F.
Can't speak for the UA showers, but the SQ ones are very good and modern. And there's not usually a wait.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
I've never been that impressed with the UC at HKG. Food is definitely better at SKL IMO.
have not been to Hong Kong in ages.

I'm United Gold, so I have Star Alliance Gold I'm flying SWISS out HKG. I should have no problem entering the SQ lounge, right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.