Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Looking for *alliance award seat in F which carrier is best?

Old Jun 2, 2009, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle

I haven't picked a destination yet, as I'm very flexible. Once decided on the best F carrier, I will pick 1 or more destinations on their route map. This will be for next spring most likely. I simply want to travel on the best F carrier in the * alliance. How do you rank your top 3?

?
Old Jun 2, 2009, 1:13 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1MM
I have often wondered about this too, but the different aspect of what's "best" differ quite a bit from one pax to another. Do you care most about:

Seat/bed?
IFE?
Food/wine?
Cabin service?
Lounge/airport service?

I'd love to see lots of replies to rank the *A carriers with regard to some of these factors.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 10:28 pm

Programs: No longer loyal "over-entitled" 1K
For F redemption, I'd rate TK 77W as #1 among *A carriers.

1. TK (77W only)
2. SQ
3. NH
Old Jun 2, 2009, 11:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Modern 49er
I have often wondered about this too, but the different aspect of what's "best" differ quite a bit from one pax to another. Do you care most about:

Seat/bed?
IFE?
Food/wine?
Cabin service?
Lounge/airport service?

I'd love to see lots of replies to rank the *A carriers with regard to some of these factors.
Well not that my preference has any more weight than others, but since I started this thread to me the most important is:

1. Seat/bed
2. food
3. ife
Old Jun 3, 2009, 3:26 pm

Programs: Flying Blue life Platinum , *A Gold ,PC Plat. IC Royal Ambassador , SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by kkjay77

1. TK (77W only)
2. SQ
3. NH
I'm new here in *A . I never thought (may be because never used) that TK is a very attrative air cpy ... really is it ???
Old Jun 3, 2009, 5:13 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
TK has (for now) the 9W seats (it is ex-9W aircraft). Unlike some other good *A first class they were reasonably accessible on *A awards. However, I understand TK is removing first later this year.
Old Jun 4, 2009, 8:39 am

Programs: Statusless and proud
Well, just based on trip reports and such (I'm not taking my first international F trip until next spring), I'd say the consensus around here is that overall F class offerings are broken down in a couple tiers (with the listings not in any particular order):

Best of the Best
SQ, NH, LX

Next Best
LH, TG, OZ, TK

Well, it's still F
CA, UA

People can feel free to disagree.

Chris
Old Jun 4, 2009, 9:56 am

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Best of the Best
SQ, NH, TK, LX (333)

Next Best
OZ, LX (other)

Next Best
LH (except for ground services, which go into the first category).

Well, it's still F
CA, TG, UA

All except LX333, TK, and CA based on experience.
Old Jun 4, 2009, 10:21 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL Plat (comped), BD
Originally Posted by JayhawkCO
Well, just based on trip reports and such (I'm not taking my first international F trip until next spring), I'd say the consensus around here is that overall F class offerings are broken down in a couple tiers (with the listings not in any particular order):

Best of the Best
SQ, NH, LX

Next Best
LH, TG, OZ, TK

Well, it's still F
CA, UA

People can feel free to disagree.

Chris
Sums it up nicely ^
Old Jun 4, 2009, 4:34 pm

Programs: US2, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Best of the Best
NH, LX, OZ, TK

Next Best
SQ, LH, TG (new)

Well, it's still F
MS, CA, UA, TG (old)

I have flown all of the above carriers except for TG (new F), TK, and MS. I'm basing my ratings for those three on trip reports and forum postings from here on FT.
Old Jun 4, 2009, 5:03 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Originally Posted by vysean
Best of the Best
NH, LX, OZ, TK

Next Best
SQ, LH, TG (new)

Well, it's still F
MS, CA, UA, TG (old)

I have flown all of the above carriers except for TG (new F), TK, and MS. I'm basing my ratings for those three on trip reports and forum postings from here on FT.

You consider TG OLD F to be better than UA new F??? (Yes, BKK ground services are exceptional, but that doesn't explain the distinction sufficiently as it was the ground services that kept TG from being put in the UA category altogether for me).
Old Jun 4, 2009, 6:14 pm

Programs: US2, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by stevenshev
You consider TG OLD F to be better than UA new F??? (Yes, BKK ground services are exceptional, but that doesn't explain the distinction sufficiently as it was the ground services that kept TG from being put in the UA category altogether for me).
I never indicated that TG old F was better than UA new F (in fact I mistakenly didn't differentiate UA old and new F) - I just think they're about even when you take all factors into account. TG OLD F provides arguably better amenities, food and beverage, and way better ground handling in BKK.

Yes, UA new F has very good IFE and a more private seat, but the service would generally be less "special" and the beverage options inferior. If caviar is your thing, TG does it while UA doesn't. On TG you can pre-book meals, not so on UA (aside from dietary/religious). PJs on TG in F for long-haul flights, not so for UA. They may seem inconsequential, but for some they are important. The old TG seat is still comfortable, it's just not very private.

So if your measuring stick is based on IFE or seat privacy, yes, UA new F is better than TG old F. If you look at the whole picture, I think even TG old F is at least as good.

For that matter, we could make a further distinction for OZ new F versus OZ old F, or SQ 77W/A380 F versus SQ 744 F versus regional 777 F. The seat and IFE are but one aspect of the "F" experience - albeit an important one.
Old Jun 4, 2009, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by schley
Well not that my preference has any more weight than others, but since I started this thread to me the most important is:

1. Seat/bed
2. food
3. ife
My first choice would be destination, unlike the OP.
I can't imagine choosing the best airline F Class before choosing the destination. I am more concern with what I am going to do after I get off the plane, than with any benefit I will get from flying, assuming it's not an MR.
And, an MR is not going to be due to the first class seats on a specific carrier.
Old Jun 6, 2009, 9:29 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by kkjay77

1. TK (77W only)
2. SQ
3. NH
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
TK has (for now) the 9W seats (it is ex-9W aircraft). Unlike some other good *A first class they were reasonably accessible on *A awards. However, I understand TK is removing first later this year.
That's why - you're flying the 9w F product on TK! ^

Unfortunately, 9w couldn't afford to keep their own planes on their routes.

Originally Posted by stevenshev
Best of the Best
SQ, NH, TK, LX (333)

Next Best
OZ, LX (other)

Next Best
LH (except for ground services, which go into the first category).

Well, it's still F
CA, TG, UA

All except LX333, TK, and CA based on experience.
I would agree - except UA is really pretty down on the scale, in my limited experience - and I flew both the old and the new 744 products...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.