Go Back   > > >
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jun 2, 09, 12:56 pm   #1
Original Poster
  
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Programs: UA-1k, .9mm, SPG-Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Posts: 5,869
Looking for *alliance award seat in F which carrier is best?

I haven't picked a destination yet, as I'm very flexible. Once decided on the best F carrier, I will pick 1 or more destinations on their route map. This will be for next spring most likely. I simply want to travel on the best F carrier in the * alliance. How do you rank your top 3?

1
2
3

?
schley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 09, 1:13 pm   #2
  
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: MDT / BWI / IAD
Programs: UA Plat 1MM
Posts: 477
I have often wondered about this too, but the different aspect of what's "best" differ quite a bit from one pax to another. Do you care most about:

Seat/bed?
IFE?
Food/wine?
Cabin service?
Lounge/airport service?

I'd love to see lots of replies to rank the *A carriers with regard to some of these factors.
Modern 49er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 09, 10:28 pm   #3
  
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NYC
Programs: No longer loyal "over-entitled" 1K
Posts: 3,736
For F redemption, I'd rate TK 77W as #1 among *A carriers.

1. TK (77W only)
2. SQ
3. NH
kkjay77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 09, 11:10 pm   #4
Original Poster
  
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Programs: UA-1k, .9mm, SPG-Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Posts: 5,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modern 49er View Post
I have often wondered about this too, but the different aspect of what's "best" differ quite a bit from one pax to another. Do you care most about:

Seat/bed?
IFE?
Food/wine?
Cabin service?
Lounge/airport service?

I'd love to see lots of replies to rank the *A carriers with regard to some of these factors.
Well not that my preference has any more weight than others, but since I started this thread to me the most important is:

1. Seat/bed
2. food
3. ife
schley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 09, 3:26 pm   #5
  
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: France, Shanghai
Programs: Flying Blue life Platinum , *A Gold ,PC Plat. IC Royal Ambassador , SPG Platinum
Posts: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkjay77 View Post
For F redemption, I'd rate TK 77W as #1 among *A carriers.

1. TK (77W only)
2. SQ
3. NH
I'm new here in *A . I never thought (may be because never used) that TK is a very attrative air cpy ... really is it ???
JC25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 09, 5:13 pm   #6
Moderator, Singapore Airlines, Hilton Honors, Oceania
  
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: hopefully travelling
Programs: up in the air
Posts: 69,745
TK has (for now) the 9W seats (it is ex-9W aircraft). Unlike some other good *A first class they were reasonably accessible on *A awards. However, I understand TK is removing first later this year.
Kiwi Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 09, 8:39 am   #7
  
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Aurora, CO
Programs: Statusless and proud
Posts: 6,574
Well, just based on trip reports and such (I'm not taking my first international F trip until next spring), I'd say the consensus around here is that overall F class offerings are broken down in a couple tiers (with the listings not in any particular order):

Best of the Best
SQ, NH, LX

Next Best
LH, TG, OZ, TK

Well, it's still F
CA, UA

People can feel free to disagree.

Chris
JayhawkCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 09, 9:56 am   #8
  
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New York, London, Sydney
Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*PLT, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*G
Posts: 9,574
Best of the Best
SQ, NH, TK, LX (333)

Next Best
OZ, LX (other)

Next Best
LH (except for ground services, which go into the first category).

Well, it's still F
CA, TG, UA

All except LX333, TK, and CA based on experience.
stevenshev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 09, 10:21 am   #9
  
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: LON & MUC
Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL Plat (comped), BD
Posts: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkCO View Post
Well, just based on trip reports and such (I'm not taking my first international F trip until next spring), I'd say the consensus around here is that overall F class offerings are broken down in a couple tiers (with the listings not in any particular order):

Best of the Best
SQ, NH, LX

Next Best
LH, TG, OZ, TK

Well, it's still F
CA, UA

People can feel free to disagree.

Chris
Sums it up nicely
Felixberlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 09, 4:34 pm   #10
  
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: A lovely little town filled with cows
Programs: US2, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Posts: 3,283
Best of the Best
NH, LX, OZ, TK

Next Best
SQ, LH, TG (new)

Well, it's still F
MS, CA, UA, TG (old)



I have flown all of the above carriers except for TG (new F), TK, and MS. I'm basing my ratings for those three on trip reports and forum postings from here on FT.
vysean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 09, 5:03 pm   #11
  
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New York, London, Sydney
Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*PLT, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*G
Posts: 9,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by vysean View Post
Best of the Best
NH, LX, OZ, TK

Next Best
SQ, LH, TG (new)

Well, it's still F
MS, CA, UA, TG (old)



I have flown all of the above carriers except for TG (new F), TK, and MS. I'm basing my ratings for those three on trip reports and forum postings from here on FT.

You consider TG OLD F to be better than UA new F??? (Yes, BKK ground services are exceptional, but that doesn't explain the distinction sufficiently as it was the ground services that kept TG from being put in the UA category altogether for me).
stevenshev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 09, 6:14 pm   #12
  
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: A lovely little town filled with cows
Programs: US2, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Posts: 3,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenshev View Post
You consider TG OLD F to be better than UA new F??? (Yes, BKK ground services are exceptional, but that doesn't explain the distinction sufficiently as it was the ground services that kept TG from being put in the UA category altogether for me).
I never indicated that TG old F was better than UA new F (in fact I mistakenly didn't differentiate UA old and new F) - I just think they're about even when you take all factors into account. TG OLD F provides arguably better amenities, food and beverage, and way better ground handling in BKK.

Yes, UA new F has very good IFE and a more private seat, but the service would generally be less "special" and the beverage options inferior. If caviar is your thing, TG does it while UA doesn't. On TG you can pre-book meals, not so on UA (aside from dietary/religious). PJs on TG in F for long-haul flights, not so for UA. They may seem inconsequential, but for some they are important. The old TG seat is still comfortable, it's just not very private.

So if your measuring stick is based on IFE or seat privacy, yes, UA new F is better than TG old F. If you look at the whole picture, I think even TG old F is at least as good.

For that matter, we could make a further distinction for OZ new F versus OZ old F, or SQ 77W/A380 F versus SQ 744 F versus regional 777 F. The seat and IFE are but one aspect of the "F" experience - albeit an important one.
vysean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 09, 6:23 pm   #13
FlyerTalk Evangelist
  
Join Date: May 2004
Location: TPA/PIE
Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, HH Gold, DL/UA/AS Elite
Posts: 17,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by schley View Post
Well not that my preference has any more weight than others, but since I started this thread to me the most important is:

1. Seat/bed
2. food
3. ife
My first choice would be destination, unlike the OP.
I can't imagine choosing the best airline F Class before choosing the destination. I am more concern with what I am going to do after I get off the plane, than with any benefit I will get from flying, assuming it's not an MR.
And, an MR is not going to be due to the first class seats on a specific carrier.
mvoight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 09, 9:29 am   #14
  
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: BOM-SIN-EWR
Programs: LH FTL, UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Posts: 7,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkjay77 View Post
For F redemption, I'd rate TK 77W as #1 among *A carriers.

1. TK (77W only)
2. SQ
3. NH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer View Post
TK has (for now) the 9W seats (it is ex-9W aircraft). Unlike some other good *A first class they were reasonably accessible on *A awards. However, I understand TK is removing first later this year.
That's why - you're flying the 9w F product on TK!

Unfortunately, 9w couldn't afford to keep their own planes on their routes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenshev View Post
Best of the Best
SQ, NH, TK, LX (333)

Next Best
OZ, LX (other)

Next Best
LH (except for ground services, which go into the first category).

Well, it's still F
CA, TG, UA

All except LX333, TK, and CA based on experience.
I would agree - except UA is really pretty down on the scale, in my limited experience - and I flew both the old and the new 744 products...
SuperFlyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump
Contact Us - FlyerTalk - Archive - Top