Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Overview of Star Silver Status

Overview of Star Silver Status

Old Jul 22, 2008, 11:37 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany
Original Poster

Arrow Overview of Star Silver Status

Hi all,

BlondeBomber had done a great job with the Star Gold Comparison Chart on his homepage and I would like to use this opportunity to thank for his great job ^.

In the past a few times question were raised about a comparison about the several different Star Silver Status on Star Alliance Airlines. Since I had to look into this anyway due to some question I was asked I used a bit of free time to make to look into the data of all Star Alliance Airlines. The data I have collected are on a Comparison on my own homepage (Click here).
I have copied parts of the format of BlondeBomber’s chart since this seems the best way to deal with it. However I have changed some points, since e.g. “Lounge Access” and “Check-In Counters” are different and the validity of points might be of more interest for the lower tiers than for the higher tiers.

I probably have overseen some facts and there might be some facts and data wrong. Therefore I would like to ask for your input and feedback, suggestions for improvements are welcome as well.
I will also try to update the chart if there are major changes in the programs (I already have MS in it and the changes on US and OZ).

Update Dec 31
added ET Sheba Miles

FLYGVA

Last edited by FLYGVA; Dec 31, 2011 at 9:31 am
Old Jul 27, 2008, 2:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Good job, but you're missing UA's Premier Associate (3P) status and there are some problems in the UA Premier (2P) column.

3P is basically the same as 2P except that you don't get the 25% elite bonus, you don't earn upgrade certificates, and there's no qualification level (by sponsorship only).

For both 2P and 3P:
  • Line 2 is wrong. The 25% C bonus applies to all *A airlines.
  • "Special Bonus Mls" should be blank. Right now, it talks about upgrade (which already appear on the next line).
  • What is line 3 (COS = Bonus Mls) supposed to mean? The first two lines already spell out the COS bonii.
  • Both 2P and 3P get priority boarding on UA.
Old Jul 28, 2008, 12:24 am
Original Poster

Thanks for your input.

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Good job, but you're missing UA's Premier Associate (3P) status and there are some problems in the UA Premier (2P) column.

3P is basically the same as 2P except that you don't get the 25% elite bonus, you don't earn upgrade certificates, and there's no qualification level (by sponsorship only).

For both 2P and 3P:

Line 2 is wrong. The 25% C bonus applies to all *A airlines.
This means, you get 25% COS bonus flying C on all Star Alliance Airlines, but additional 25% (=50%) on UA, US and LH Transatlantic (www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,1161,00.html). If I did not get that right (probably mixing up rules), please correct me.

"Special Bonus Mls" should be blank. Right now, it talks about upgrade (which already appear on the next line).
You are right there. But afaik it was possible for a limited time to make a one in a lifetime decision to convert unused 500 mls certs into miles. The deadline for signing up for this was way in the past. I think, I should clarify this. Please correct me, if I am wrong.

What is line 3 (COS = Bonus Mls) supposed to mean? The first two lines already spell out the COS bonii.
Thanks, my mistake. It should read status miles instead of bonus miles. I will update this in the evening.

Both 2P and 3P get priority boarding on UA.
Thanks, I will update this in the evening.

Again, thanks for your input, which is much appreciated.
Old Aug 15, 2008, 7:08 am

LH FTL (*silver) question

Hi, great compilation of *silver status. Just one question, in your table you mention that LH FTLs have access to SK lounges??? True, or just a typo? If true, what are the rules, which lounges?

Thanks for reply
Old Aug 15, 2008, 7:50 am

Programs: SAS Gold, FB Gold, BA Gold, EY Silver
Nice comparison! Well done! ^

Just one correction, SAS Eurobonus Silver (EBS) does not give lounge access, neither to SAS lounges nor to Lufthansa lounges.
Old Aug 17, 2008, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by crazychicken
Hi, great compilation of *silver status. Just one question, in your table you mention that LH FTLs have access to SK lounges??? True, or just a typo? If true, what are the rules, which lounges?

Thanks for reply
I have read in this forum, but did not find the thread, that is was given as goodwill. I changed it in the overview and made a footer about it

Originally Posted by jacob_m
Nice comparison! Well done! ^

Just one correction, SAS Eurobonus Silver (EBS) does not give lounge access, neither to SAS lounges nor to Lufthansa lounges.
Thanks for the info. Is it given sometimes as a goodwill gesture? I was sitting with a SK FTL in an FTL Lounge in DUS some years ago and she was flying in Y with me to FRA.
Old Aug 17, 2008, 12:21 pm

Programs: SAS Gold, FB Gold, BA Gold, EY Silver
Originally Posted by FLYGVA
Thanks for the info. Is it given sometimes as a goodwill gesture? I was sitting with a SK FTL in an FTL Lounge in DUS some years ago and she was flying in Y with me to FRA.
Unfortunately not that I know of, and you will get the same answer in the SAS forum.
SAS*S (or EBS as it's called in the SAS world) does not give lounge access anywhere. Perhaps the lounge dragon made a mistake or he/she had a special reason for getting access? (LH screwed up or something...)
Old Aug 19, 2008, 1:44 pm

Programs: Many, most dormant...
Originally Posted by jacob_m
SAS*S (or EBS as it's called in the SAS world) does not give lounge access anywhere.
There was a recent thread here that Air One gives access to its (few) lounges to EBS. These are mostly in Italy, but include the SK lounge in CPH.

Details here:

http://www.flyairone.it/en/Organizza...o/SaleVip.aspx
Old Aug 19, 2008, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GlobalSights
There was a recent thread here that Air One gives access to its (few) lounges to EBS. These are mostly in Italy, but include the SK lounge in CPH.

Details here:

http://www.flyairone.it/en/Organizza...o/SaleVip.aspx
Thanks for the input.
Old Sep 5, 2008, 6:31 am

Programs: QF WP, AC*G
I haven't had a huge read but you should update the mileage expiry for AC Prestige. It is No/No. It should be 7Y/7Y.

Last edited by *A Flyer; Sep 5, 2008 at 6:33 am Reason: Fixed slight error.
Old Sep 7, 2008, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by *A Flyer
I haven't had a huge read but you should update the mileage expiry for AC Prestige. It is No/No. It should be 7Y/7Y.
You are right, thanks. I have updated it.
Old Sep 19, 2008, 1:49 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Silver
Sorry if this has been covered, I've searched around the forums and couldn't find it. Flying this weekend on US for the first time in a while. I am a 1P on UA, which allows me three checked bags without charge. On US, I understand from the website I'm allowed two bags checked in without the bag fees, but not three, is that right? And also my wife, who is a 3P on UA, should get two bags on US without the bag fees?
Thanks for the help.
Old Nov 5, 2008, 11:24 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
For USAirways:

The international upgrades are now as follows:

30,000 from USA to Europe
40,000 from USA to Middle East (PHL-TLV service starts Jul-09)

RT tickets must have a total value of $1400 to qualify for point upgrade.
O/W tickets must have a total value of $700 to qualify for point upgrade.

Also, points expire after 1 year of no activity in a USAirways account.
Old Nov 6, 2008, 6:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PHL
For USAirways:

The international upgrades are now as follows:

30,000 from USA to Europe
40,000 from USA to Middle East (PHL-TLV service starts Jul-09)

RT tickets must have a total value of $1400 to qualify for point upgrade.
O/W tickets must have a total value of $700 to qualify for point upgrade.

Also, points expire after 1 year of no activity in a USAirways account.
Thanks for the input. ^
I will update the overview asap.
Old Dec 13, 2008, 8:05 am

Programs: CX DM
SQ Silver is pretty worthless

Thank you for posting the chart. I just became silver with SQ and was wondering what I would get from other Star Alliance airlines, and this was great. However I really am underwhelmed - seems Star Alliance silver is pretty worthless. I can't even check-in at business class counters unlike on OneWorld. I'd intended to diversify out of OW, but am having second thoughts now.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.