Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Overview of Star Silver Status

Overview of Star Silver Status

Old Mar 14, 2011, 1:22 pm

Does USAir status match BMI Silver?

I have a paid USAir business class ticket PHL-TLV and I just signed up for the BMI Silver. US and United will status match but you have to fly a certain amount of miles in 90 days or you lose the match. Will my Star Alliance silver give me a 25% or 50% bonus so I can reach the miles quicker?
Thanks
Old Mar 14, 2011, 4:39 pm

No. It doesn't work like that.

If you want the 25% bonus you will have to credit to the program that you have Star Alliance Silver in, i.e. BMI.

You will get the standard bonuses (for business) if you credit to another program, e.g. US or United.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
Originally Posted by mickfarrell
Check out *G status (20k) on Aegean at aegeanair.com

You get *S after 4k and get 12 months to do each one (so you have 12 months from reaching *S to get 16k for *G).
Just remember on some carriers you only earn 50% on the lowest fares.
Old Apr 11, 2011, 5:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
And on others only 25%
Old Apr 12, 2011, 1:30 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
And the status lasts for 2 years instead of 1.
Old May 5, 2011, 4:18 pm

Programs: United 1K
I think certain Alliance Member airlines are easier to qualify for Star Silver/Gold.
Old May 5, 2011, 4:19 pm

Programs: United 1K
What status last for two years?
Old May 6, 2011, 1:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
LH and OZ both do. A3 appears to do as well.
Old May 9, 2011, 3:07 am

Programs: TK G,UA *S
baggage allowance

Apparently there was made a change to the baggage allowance for *S on continental&united flights: instead of 2 bags free only one free as of March.

In my experience though I was allowed with 2 bags in May....maybe is still not so enforced...
Old May 10, 2011, 5:11 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by stifle
LH and OZ both do. A3 appears to do as well.
A3 lasts for 3 years, although you could make the card last as long as 6 years (just say that you "lost" your card every year, and the expiry date moves back 1 year ON THE NEW CARD ONLY)
Old May 11, 2011, 2:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
A3 lasts for 3 years, although you could make the card last as long as 6 years (just say that you "lost" your card every year, and the expiry date moves back 1 year ON THE NEW CARD ONLY)
That is quite obscene. I wonder if A3 is financially stable enough for me to shift over to them. Although that said the Mrs. is already there and will, on our current flight plans, make *G before me To think I may need her to guest me in rather than v/v!
Old May 11, 2011, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by stifle
That is quite obscene. I wonder if A3 is financially stable enough for me to shift over to them. Although that said the Mrs. is already there and will, on our current flight plans, make *G before me To think I may need her to guest me in rather than v/v!
If A3 goes under, your status will likely be matched by M&M so that *A doesn't lose your business.
Old May 12, 2011, 10:26 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
This chart is great, so thank you for compiling it.

One item to be added to the luggage allowance line - AC Prestige waives the fee for a second piece of checked baggage.

Thanks again for compiling this.
Old May 17, 2011, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
One change for the chart..

I believe that the benefit to Europe/Israel/India residents of 200% miles for Biz (as opposed to 150%) has been discontinued

Great chart!
Old May 20, 2011, 2:28 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by flymexico2010
Apparently there was made a change to the baggage allowance for *S on continental&united flights: instead of 2 bags free only one free as of March.

In my experience though I was allowed with 2 bags in May....maybe is still not so enforced...
Star Silvers who are flying on tickets bought before the announcement of a reduction in baggage allowance/fee waiver benefit for Star Silvers have a reasonable basis upon which to insist that they should still be granted 2 free bags as those were the rules applicable at the time of ticket purchase.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.