Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Overview of Star Silver Status

Overview of Star Silver Status

Old May 7, 2009, 5:02 pm

Programs: Dividend Miles Preferred-Gold, HHonors- Diamond , Priority Club-Gold, Emerald Club- Executive
Originally Posted by KACommuter
Thank you for posting the chart. I just became silver with SQ and was wondering what I would get from other Star Alliance airlines, and this was great. However I really am underwhelmed - seems Star Alliance silver is pretty worthless. I can't even check-in at business class counters unlike on OneWorld. I'd intended to diversify out of OW, but am having second thoughts now.
I am confused. I'm a *A Silver on US and I didn't think I got to check-in at the first class counter with United, but today at STL, I noticed the line for FC and Premier also said *A Silver and *A Gold. So I jumped out of the economy line and went to the FC line. It was pretty pointless because the United agent wouldn't wait on anyone in that line and there was no Kiosk for that line. After 20 min, I left and went in the economy line which proved to be slow, but still quicker than the FC/Premier line.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 4:26 am

Gaining access to SQ lounge at LHR with a BMI Silver Card

Whilst I know my BMI Silver Card doesn't afford me access to other Star Alliance lounges when it's not a code share flight, I wondered if anyone has experience of successfully getting into the SQ lounge at Heathrow when travelling cattle class to Singapore? I don't know if the gate keepers operate a strict access policy or if they exercise some leverage if you smile nicely, dress appropriately, are polite and descretely show your silver card.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 9:38 am

Programs: rapidly diminishing
Originally Posted by MNTEERFLYER
(...the FC line...) was pretty pointless because the United agent wouldn't wait on anyone in that line and there was no Kiosk for that line. After 20 min, I left and went in the economy line which proved to be slow, but still quicker than the FC/Premier line.
We had a very similar experience at BUF. The *G-minted ladies in front of us ended up taking matters in to their own hands and walking up to the agent, informing him they'd been waiting half an hour, and after he'd served them, he really should take care of the family with the very young child behind them

OTOH, the whole setup and organization at TPA was a world away. Busy, but courteous and fairly quick service.. and they didn't even to bother charging us for the extra checked item we had on the way back ^

As seems to be the case with so much of all this, YMMV - but particularly when it comes to which station you're heading out from.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 1:46 pm
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany
Original Poster

Originally Posted by businesstraveller
Whilst I know my BMI Silver Card doesn't afford me access to other Star Alliance lounges when it's not a code share flight, I wondered if anyone has experience of successfully getting into the SQ lounge at Heathrow when travelling cattle class to Singapore? I don't know if the gate keepers operate a strict access policy or if they exercise some leverage if you smile nicely, dress appropriately, are polite and descretely show your silver card.
Welcome to Flyertalk.

I have no first hand experience in LHR, but I would say, the changes are rather limited that they will let you in. But try it, you did not lose anything by asking nicely.
Old Sep 28, 2009, 5:47 am

Programs: TK*G, SAS EB Basic, CX MPC, KLM FB, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Correction on BMI?

Hello, just checked BMI Diamond website, they say "20kg additional free baggage allowance on flights operated by bmi to UK, Europe, Middle East, Africa and Asia, hold luggage only". In the chart it says +10 kgs.

Keep up the good job!

(and my first post on flyertalk!)
Old Sep 28, 2009, 7:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RipperDoc
Hello, just checked BMI Diamond website, they say "20kg additional free baggage allowance on flights operated by bmi to UK, Europe, Middle East, Africa and Asia, hold luggage only". In the chart it says +10 kgs.

Keep up the good job!

(and my first post on flyertalk!)
Welcome to Flyertalk and thank for pointing out the free baggage allowance. I will checkt it.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 10:17 am

Programs: Bonvoy-Gold, HH-Gold, UA-Gold, *A-Gold
Looks like *S just got stripped; no extra baggage, no priority boarding and the priority waitlist and standby doesn't apply to reward tickets.
Old Nov 1, 2009, 7:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HobokenFlyer
Looks like *S just got stripped; no extra baggage, no priority boarding and the priority waitlist and standby doesn't apply to reward tickets.
As far as I know have been the offical rules for award tickets always like this.

Which FFP has reduced the baggage allowance.

I will update the chart with Continental in the next couple of days (hopefully).
Old Nov 2, 2009, 2:22 pm

Programs: NZ and UA
Thanks for the chart. Air NZ silver now gets 2 koru lounge passes.

Does anyone know: traveling on USair, I get 2 free checked bags. Does that pertain to people traveling on same res or just *S and above?
Old Nov 19, 2009, 5:58 pm

*S baggage on CO

I'm Star Alliance Silver (via United Premier). Do I get zero, one, or two bags checked for free on a Continental flight?
Old Nov 19, 2009, 6:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: AF plat. SPG Gold
I am really dissapointed UA removed RCC for free for their Premiers.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 3:31 pm

Programs: XP AA, ◊ HGP, PL SPG, 1K UA
Originally Posted by mtruch
I'm Star Alliance Silver (via United Premier). Do I get zero, one, or two bags checked for free on a Continental flight?
BUMP. I'd also like to know what CO's baggase allowance for *S and *G members are? Thanks.
Old Dec 19, 2009, 12:50 am

From http://www.continental.com/web/en-US.../checkbag.aspx

Checked Baggage Fees

The following customers will not be charged service fees to check a first or second bag:

OnePass Silver Elite members and Star Alliance Silver members*
OnePass Platinum and Gold Elite members and Star Alliance Gold members*
First Class customers*
Old Dec 20, 2009, 11:46 am

Thanks...

Thanks, hoya2lane.

I see that they have updated that page recently (before it was identical but without the star alliance part). I'm glad, as I often have multiple bags to check around the holiday season full of gifts etc.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 6:56 am
Original Poster

I have finally manage to update the Star Alliance Silver Comparison Chart with the chart about Continental's OnePass Silver Benefits. As usual, I ask for a second (or third) look by fellow flyertalkers. It was a bit difficult to get the differences in the EQM / Redeemable Miles earning into the chart for Star Alliance airlines.

I have not updated the chart concerning UAs change in the domestic upgrade rules, since they are not in affect until the second quarter of 2010.

Sorry for the heavy dealy in the update, caused by the load on my desk at work in November and December.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.