Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Price increase on *A European Airpass

Price increase on *A European Airpass

Old Jun 8, 2006, 8:11 pm
Original Poster

Exclamation Price increase on *A European Airpass

Just booked my *A European Airpass and found out that the prices went up on June 6th. but it seems like it was a 10$ hike in price on a what it used to be a 125 dollar voucher (between 500-1000 mile).

Now, this is coming from the UA rate desk.
Old Jun 8, 2006, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH, UA, BD, AA, NW, FB, NH, AC, Sixt, Hertz, Avis, *W, HH, Marriott, PC, Leaders Club, AMEX
Those airpasses are way too expensive, anyway, just think of the huge amount of taxes LH is adding for their flights.

It's usually cheaper to exercise the art of creative booking, ticketing each segment seperately (using dummy roundtrips, if necessary) in TSC-free zones like Ireland, and eventually get tax refunds for unused dummy segments. You might save a buck or two.
Old Jun 8, 2006, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by flysurfer
Those airpasses are way too expensive, anyway, just think of the huge amount of taxes LH is adding for their flights.

It's usually cheaper to exercise the art of creative booking, ticketing each segment seperately (using dummy roundtrips, if necessary) in TSC-free zones like Ireland, and eventually get tax refunds for unused dummy segments. You might save a buck or two.

Can you explain more please?
Old Jun 8, 2006, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH, UA, BD, AA, NW, FB, NH, AC, Sixt, Hertz, Avis, *W, HH, Marriott, PC, Leaders Club, AMEX
Originally Posted by UA Fan
Can you explain more please?
Which part?
OK, I'll try to rephrase:

Basically, a cheap way of buying domestic and European LH flights is booking them online through their website, typically using something like their Irish or the UK website in order to avoid any ticket service charges (also depending on current exchange rates). If roundtrips are cheaper than one-ways, well, book the roundtrip and never use the inbound. But get a tax refund for the unused segment after all is said and done. The FCT in FRA features its own competent and very helpful ticketing desk, so this is the perfect place to get your tax refunds while waiting in luxury and style. As you know, partial refund calculations can take quite some time, especially for multiple tickets.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.