Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Help me max out this CRTWSTAR3

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help me max out this CRTWSTAR3

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2005, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Nah.
Talking Help me max out this CRTWSTAR3

Currently I have:

CMB-SIN-CGK-SIN-AKL-SYD-SFO-SEA-DEN-BOS-FRA-MAN-ZRH-MUC-LHR-FRA-PEK-NRT-BKK-HKT-BKK-SIN-CMB

This comes to 38745 miles and 22 segments. I have 255 miles and 2 segments left. Any ideas?

My emphasis is on SQ PPS sectors, but picking up some LH intra-europe trips for 2500 each would be nice. UA EQM's are always good too

Other suggestions on this trip are welcome. ^
Old Dec 12, 2005, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Ooh, I just found a 3 class flight DEN-IAD, so I now have:

CMB-SIN-CGK-SIN-AKL-SYD-SFO-SEA-DEN-IAD-BOS-FRA-MAN-ZRH-MUC-LHR-FRA-PEK-NRT-BKK-HKT-BKK-SIN-CMB

for 38856 miles and 23 sectors. Anything else?
Old Dec 12, 2005, 5:15 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
I would change AKL-SYD-SFO to AKL-SFO. The new NZ business class is much better than UA's business class. Frees up lots of miles and another sector, which then means can do eg FRA-ZRH-MAN-ZRH.

BTW I thought in US you look for 2-class flights for CRWSTARx as these get booked into F (hence more miles earned).
Old Dec 12, 2005, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
I would change AKL-SYD-SFO to AKL-SFO. The new NZ business class is much better than UA's business class. Frees up lots of miles and another sector, which then means can do eg FRA-ZRH-MAN-ZRH.
Hrm. Interesting idea about doing AKL-SFO, but I need to be in SYD. I guess I should have noted the stopovers. FWIW:

CMB-SIN-CGK-SIN-AKL-SYD-SFO-SEA-DEN-IAD-BOS-FRA-MAN-ZRH-MUC-LHR-FRA-PEK-NRT-BKK-HKT-BKK-SIN-CMB
(stopovers are in red)

I could do SIN-SYD-AKL-SFO, but I can upgrade to F on UA, as well as get 150% EQM... I can't imagine that NZ C is better than UA F?

It is currently 15 PPS sectors, which I think is pretty good since I only have 1 intercontinental flight on SQ, although it is likely NZ metal, SQ codeshare . The extra 1.25 from ZRH-MAN would be nice though...
BTW I thought in US you look for 2-class flights for CRWSTARx as these get booked into F (hence more miles earned).
Again, I can upgrade the 2 class flights to 3 class F with my virtually worthless 500 mile upgrades and get a UA F suite for SEA-DEN-IAD. Less miles, but creditting to UA gets the same EQM, but 125% RDM instead of 150%. "So What". If I was creditting to M&M, I suppose I would seek out 2 class flights though.

Last edited by qasr; Dec 12, 2005 at 8:23 pm
Old Dec 12, 2005, 8:34 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Originally Posted by qasr
I could do SIN-SYD-AKL-SFO, but I can upgrade to F on UA, as well as get 150% EQM... I can't imagine that NZ C is better than UA F?
Depends on who you talk to. New NZ C is full flat suite, great IFE, food, drink and service. Personally I think that adds up to better than UA F. Of course you wont get as many miles flying NZ (whether crediting to UA MP or LH M&M), and if doing SIN-SYD-AKL it is 1.25 less PPS credits (unless you can get the SQ codeshare SYD-AKL in which case the same number).

Edited to add I think you are referring to flying NZ metal SIN-AKL? Depending on when your trip is this may have the new business class. If operated by 777 it will be new business class, if by 767 then old business class. I think you're flying January? - so it will be old business class (due to the boeing strike 777s delivered late).

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Dec 12, 2005 at 8:41 pm
Old Dec 12, 2005, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Depends on who you talk to. New NZ C is full flat suite, great IFE, food, drink and service. Personally I think that adds up to better than UA F. Of course you wont get as many miles flying NZ (whether crediting to UA MP or LH M&M), and if doing SIN-SYD-AKL it is 1.25 less PPS credits (unless you can get the SQ codeshare SYD-AKL in which case the same number).
Thus why I'm heading SIN-AKL-SYD.

UA SYD-SFO is over 11K EQM & more than 16k RDM. It is hard to pass up! I did enjoy the UCS on VS though...
Edited to add I think you are referring to flying NZ metal SIN-AKL? Depending on when your trip is this may have the new business class. If operated by 777 it will be new business class, if by 767 then old business class. I think you're flying January? - so it will be old business class (due to the boeing strike 777s delivered late).
It is currently scheduled as a 767, so the old C seats. Hopefully I'll clear he SQ flight, but I won't hold my breath.

What would be the best straegy to get on the SQ flight btw, assuming it comes down the the airport? Can I even get on if there is a seat left and I've checked in for the NZ flight? Or is it too late by that stage?
Old Dec 12, 2005, 9:19 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Probably too late by that stage. If it hasnt cleared by then it will be in oversold situation most likely (or exactly 100%). Only way it will clear at that last minute is for no shows. But these wont be known until SQ check-in closes, which is too late for NZ check-in (as this flight is earlier).

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Dec 12, 2005 at 9:33 pm
Old Dec 12, 2005, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

SQ 285 leaves at 2100, NZ 82 leaves at 2025, so only 35 minutes earlier. Still probably a problem though.
Old Dec 13, 2005, 9:10 am
CGK

Programs: UA MM
(stopovers are in red)
I am on the road, and can't calculate the mileage. I am more thinking of how to maximise the PPS sectors. Skip the CGK turn-around. Do CMB-SIN-AKL-SYD-SIN-HKG-SFO instead. Since I believe you have M&M miles, may be try to do the upgrades to F. PS Service SFO-JFK or LAX-JFK would be a good one. Try JFK-FRA on SQ instead BOS-FRA on LH.
Old Dec 13, 2005, 9:54 am

Given that you want to keep all your stop overs, and assuming you want to maximize M&M miles and PPS sectors i would follow CGKs recommendation up to SEA. Then I would go direct SEA-IAD eliminating DEN which leaves you 3 segments and probably enough miles to use them on short European hops. FRA-ZRH is 178 miles only, ZRH-DUS-LHR is a shorter option than ZRH-MUC-LHR if you are running out of miles, and if you really have to, there is always FRA-CGN with only 86 miles but also "only" 1875 M&M miles as it is German domestic.
Old Dec 13, 2005, 12:36 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Originally Posted by CGK
I am on the road, and can't calculate the mileage. I am more thinking of how to maximise the PPS sectors. Skip the CGK turn-around. Do CMB-SIN-AKL-SYD-SIN-HKG-SFO instead. Since I believe you have M&M miles, may be try to do the upgrades to F. PS Service SFO-JFK or LAX-JFK would be a good one. Try JFK-FRA on SQ instead BOS-FRA on LH.
Way too many miles to change SYD-SFO to SYD-SIN-HKG-SFO.
Old Dec 13, 2005, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Way too many miles to change SYD-SFO to SYD-SIN-HKG-SFO.
It is as currently booked, but CGK might be on to something. I could do:

CMB-SIN-SYD-SIN-HKG-SFO-SEA-ORD-BOS-FRA-MAN-ZRH-MUC-DUS-LHR-FRA-PEK-NRT-BKK-SIN-CMB

It is only 20 sectors this way, but 38978 miles! ^ At least by GCM, I'll have to plug it all back into the *A RTWMC to double check. I added in DUS as well, thanks ulev

Is it OK to transit SIN when going Australia->USA? It doesn't seem like it, but I am happy to trust CGK in this area

Since I'm skipping HKT, I'll just buy some cheapie BKK-HKT-BKK segments seperately.
Old Dec 13, 2005, 1:50 pm

It is only 20 sectors this way, but 38978 miles! ^ At least by GCM, I'll have to plug it all back into the *A RTWMC to double check. I added in DUS as well, thanks ulev
Is there a special reason why you want/need to see MUC airport?

Otherwise I would still suggest to squeeze in one more segment by doing ...ZRH-FRA-DUS-LHR-CGN-FRA....

Besides, I personally never give up before I find a way to get max segments, after all it's only 24 now a days.

Is it OK to transit SIN when going Australia->USA? It doesn't seem like it, but I am happy to trust CGK in this area
Absolutely within the rules, if you need a confirmation.

Since I'm skipping HKT, I'll just buy some cheapie BKK-HKT-BKK segments seperately.
Good move. You can even fly C on Silk Air from SIN and earn more PPS segments.
or
CMB-SIN-HKT-SIN-CMB in C and another 5 PPS segments for around 830 USD, if your travel agent can handle the booking.

Last edited by ulev; Dec 13, 2005 at 3:53 pm Reason: fare quote corrected
Old Dec 13, 2005, 2:13 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

It is as currently booked, but CGK might be on to something. I could do:

CMB-SIN-SYD-SIN-HKG-SFO-SEA-ORD-BOS-FRA-MAN-ZRH-MUC-DUS-LHR-FRA-PEK-NRT-BKK-SIN-CMB

Hmm that only gets 1.25 PPS sectors (rough calc in my head so could be wrong) more than the original routing. If it was me I'd be inclined to revert to the original routing but perhaps tweak some of the north american flights so as to enable more short sectors in europe. If you wanted could regain the 1.25 PPS sectors by doing ZRH-MAN-ZRH.

Yes you can pass through asia between australia/NZ and north america. I am doing that on my next RTW.
Old Dec 13, 2005, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ulev
Is there a special reason why you want/need to see MUC airport?

Otherwise I would still suggest to squeeze in one more segment by doing ...ZRH-FRA-DUS-LHR-CGN-FRA....

Besides, I personally never give up before I find a way to get max segments, after all it's only 24 now a days.
Well, I do like the pickles in the MUC SEN lounge... and the DUS lougne is a hole unless it has been updated recently. I might consider the above though. I didn't know LH flew LHR-CGN.
Absolutely within the rules, if you need a confirmation.
Thanks.
Good move. You can even fly C on Silk Air from SIN and earn more PPS segments.
or
CMB-SIN-HKT-SIN-CMB in C and another 5 PPS segments for around 630 USD, if your travel agent can handle the booking.
I was thinking of doing that so I could start the RTW ex-BKK, not so much for the cost, but not going to CMB means a lot more options on the RTW ticket.

When I priced it out (on ITA & SQ website) it was ~$950 all in in C, or $1030 for F between CMB & SIN, but C on MI to HKT. If I did it, I'd obviously go F, but I don't know if it is worthwhile to pay $1000 to get another ~4k BIS miles on my RTW ticket...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.