*A Booking Classes

Old Apr 8, 2006, 5:23 pm

you're right, X isn't (anymore ?) a revenue class on SA, though it is still shown in the GDS.

according to this thread, class W is for upgrades to business class.
Old Apr 9, 2006, 12:44 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Programs: some
OP updated. Where extra class has been added with unknown relative position I've put it at the low end.
Old Apr 20, 2006, 1:10 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Just got an upgrade to BC on SA.
It is I (used to be W, pre *A)
Old May 17, 2006, 7:52 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Originally Posted by jarino
you're right, X isn't (anymore ?) a revenue class on SA, though it is still shown in the GDS.

according to this thread, class W is for upgrades to business class.
That thread pre-dates SA in *A. thijsseh is more up to date.

I notice a bunch of strange new codes for SA on KVS:
F P A U
C J Z D R
W is now an economy class with some other new ones.

The ones I've put in bold italic can't be award classes. Wonder what they are?
Old May 24, 2006, 4:09 am

Originally Posted by thijsseh
So it looks like SA is using the same fare buckets for awards and upgrades. Interesting. If that is true, then given that the ANA Mileage Club engine is reliably showing award availability for SA, one can use it to find upgrade availability! Must try that out.

Last edited by Cheetah_SA; May 24, 2006 at 4:16 am Reason: sp.
Old Jun 3, 2006, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA
I notice a bunch of strange new codes for SA on KVS:
F P A U
C J Z D R
W is now an economy class with some other new ones.

The ones I've put in bold italic can't be award classes. Wonder what they are?
D is being used for Star RTW bookings. SA is booking into Star Standard classes for the RTW products - A for First, D for Biz and M for Economy. H for Starlite/Star Special.
Old Jun 17, 2006, 4:02 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA
So it looks like SA is using the same fare buckets for awards and upgrades. Interesting. If that is true, then given that the ANA Mileage Club engine is reliably showing award availability for SA, one can use it to find upgrade availability! Must try that out.
I must say this worries me a bit. If both an award and an upgrade are I fares, how will 'the system' know that I had an upgrade and debit me the miles I should get for buying an economy (S in my case) ticket . Especially important as I should get double miles as per the promotion. I guess I will find out soon, my trip is next week.
Old Jun 17, 2006, 6:52 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Lots of airlines use the same booking class for upgrades and awards. As long as they record the fare class separately (which they should do) then it all works out.

But no system is perfect and mistakes do happen - sometimes they are in pax favour and sometimes not requiring chase up.
Old Jul 17, 2006, 4:44 pm

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Kiwi Flier can you mark the airlines that use the same class for Award and Upgrade, or should I assume that any airline without a separate, underlined, class uses a single class for both awards and upgrades?
Old Jul 17, 2006, 4:51 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Yes most use the same booking class for awards and upgrades. Known exceptions are noted.
Old Aug 8, 2006, 12:09 am

Programs: Miles and More
Question J on OS

I just made a booking with OS and I got a business class in J
It says on their website J = Holiday Business.

Is this Class credited with the double mileage like C or D ?
Old Sep 4, 2006, 11:56 am

Programs: NorthSails | Starboard | ION
Originally Posted by hugoalone
I just made a booking with OS and I got a business class in J
It says on their website J = Holiday Business.

Is this Class credited with the double mileage like C or D ?
Assuming (per your profile) that you are crediting to LH's M&M... then it is 200%, per this page.
Old Oct 6, 2006, 6:38 am

Programs: A3*G, AC, IHG Plat AMB
Standby?

Not sure if this is an obvious thing, but it's something I haven't been able to find an answer for:

What booking classes are used for standby flights or are they the same classes as one would get for a regular booking? Specifically, I have a few days off coming up and want to go anywhere in the EU from DUB, but want to get the miles to get/keep status. So if I were to end up on a flight in (eg) BC, would I still get the miles for a J or C flight, or would it be some other, non-status class?
Old Oct 7, 2006, 3:07 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Originally Posted by DJ Bitterbarn
Not sure if this is an obvious thing, but it's something I haven't been able to find an answer for:

What booking classes are used for standby flights or are they the same classes as one would get for a regular booking? Specifically, I have a few days off coming up and want to go anywhere in the EU from DUB, but want to get the miles to get/keep status. So if I were to end up on a flight in (eg) BC, would I still get the miles for a J or C flight, or would it be some other, non-status class?
Most airlines appear to use the (sensible) rule that you get the miles for the class / fare that you PAID for, not the one that you travelled in. I am not sure what the situation is with what booking class is used for standby, I have always assumed (but this is untested) that a standby is a 'normal' booking class without availability. Interesting topic, I would like to understand this better!
Old Nov 25, 2006, 4:30 am

Originally Posted by thijsseh
Kiwi Flyer, could you please correct the SA codes. They are using O and I for upgrades as well as awards. (W was the old upgrade award.)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.