Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

To which program should I credit a flurry of SAA trips in J?

Old Sep 17, 2017, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EXP, LATAM Gold+, BA-Blues

I normally fly OneWorld, where I hold highest Elite status (Emerald).

Will soon begin a new work project that calls for six round-trips between Brazil and Madagascar, all in J. Three in late 2017, three in early 2018.

Most direct routing is with SAA, but I know nothing of their new Revenue-based program.

To which FF program (*A or other) would it be wisest to credit these trips? I could status-match if that would help. Would like to maximize value...and if possible, collect a useful Elite status outside OneWorld, with as much validity as possible.

Thanks for any ideas.

(Mods - if this is better off in the *A forum, please feel free to move the thread...)
Old Sep 18, 2017, 2:07 pm
Company Representative, SAA

Originally Posted by checkerboard
I normally fly OneWorld, where I hold highest Elite status (Emerald).

Will soon begin a new work project that calls for six round-trips between Brazil and Madagascar, all in J. Three in late 2017, three in early 2018.

Most direct routing is with SAA, but I know nothing of their new Revenue-based program.

To which FF program (*A or other) would it be wisest to credit these trips? I could status-match if that would help. Would like to maximize value...and if possible, collect a useful Elite status outside OneWorld, with as much validity as possible.

Thanks for any ideas.

(Mods - if this is better off in the *A forum, please feel free to move the thread...)
Hello checkerboard,

Thank you for choosing South African Airways.

Our frequent flyer program is named Voyager, and you may find more information on it here https://www.flysaa.com/us/en/voyagerLogin.secured.

SAA is a member of the Star Alliance, and you may find more information on earning and spending Voyager miles here https://www.flysaa.com/za/en/voyager...rAlliance.html.

If you should have any further questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to contact our Voyager Desk at 1 (800) 359-7220.

Thank you.

South African Airways - North America
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Because your trips are spread over two calendar years, you want to find a program with a rolling validity based upon your qualification date rather than the Dec 31/Jan 1 cutoff.

I don't know which system Voyager uses, however unless you live in South Africa I probably wouldn't use them. Getting miles into Voyager aside from flying is nigh on impossible without access to a credit card from a South African bank. Unfortunately they do not partner with American Express & Diners Club (in most countries at least), nor SPG for mileage transfer.

Because you're flying business class already, the additional benefits from Star Alliance Gold are minimal, basically you'd have one additional piece of luggage allowed, so don't go too far out of your way to status match in advance.

If you think you might like to dump some additional miles into whichever program you chose to make an award booking, have a look at which credit cards you have access to and which programs those points can transfer. Amex Membership Rewards, Diners Club, and SPG are typically the most versatile, however Chase and Citi in the US are now becoming a lot more useful as well as both are adding more airline partners.

If I were in your situation I'd probably be looking mostly at A3 (Aegean). Your SA flights in business will credit at 200%, they have a fairly easy qualification for Star Alliance Gold, and their mileage chart for redemption is fairly good. You can transfer SPG points to them as well if you have access to a SPG credit card (or stay in SPG hotels a lot).

Miles and More also credits at 200% but their qualification bar for Star Gold is really high, that wouldn't be a problem if all of your flights were in 2018 but they use the calendar year system, therefore you'd reset on Jan 1 and wouldn't make Senator. Asiana's program is also pretty attractive with a low qualification threshold and a 2 year validity, but they only credit SA business at 125% and they don't have a really sexy award chart.

If you want maximum validity then you may still want to consider Asiana, you'd end up with about 90,000 miles after all is said and done and that would give you *G for 2 years. Otherwise A3 gives you a lot more miles to use (~142,000), but it's only a 1 year qualification.

Last edited by dvs7310; Sep 19, 2017 at 11:17 pm
Old Sep 20, 2017, 12:48 am

Programs: BA BD SA
dvs7310 , that was a great synopsis of the options and the issues! ^

Something else to consider is what the accrued mileage would be used for - and how quickly.

If one only ever travels in J then *Gold may not be the most important consideration given one would get most of the status benefits anyway. On the other hand, if there is a propspect of quite a few *A flights in Y, then status for as long as possible would be the prize to go for. And if the aim is F redemption on LH, then Senator status with Miles & More should be the goal.

If one has no plans to redeem soon then crediting to a plan where it is easy to keep miles "alive" (Avianca's LifeMiles, for example) might make more sense than plans with hard expiry deadlines. Also, unless the FFP offers other convenient ways to earn miles (e.g. via credit cards etc.) there is always the danger of ending up with orphan miles that eventually expire. So plans that allow miles+cash redemptions might be a consideration.

Maybe the plan for usage is an edge case. For example, if it would be attractive to fly friends or family to Madagascar, then the ability to redeem awards on Airlink flights to TNR would be highly desirable. Only SA Voyager gives that option.

SA is also a partner of of some non *A airlines like Emirates and Etihad. No chance of earning status with them, and the earning rates aren't great. But again if they offer appealing redemption options, perhaps that might sway the argument.

None of this gets any closer to providing the OP with an answer. But I think it shows how many variables there are and hence the need to prioritise them for the individual. checkerboard, if you could indicate how important some of these considerations are to you personally, you might get more definitive answers.
dvs7310 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.