Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

SQ A350 or TK A330 Business Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SQ A350 or TK A330 Business Class

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2017, 11:49 am
Original Poster

Lightbulb SQ A350 or TK A330 Business Class

Hi - I need some help deciding which airline to go with.

Planning to fly ex EU to Asia and have the choice between SQ and TK.

Here are the facts:
- TK: 1 stop, shorter flight time and flight arrives late in the evening at the destination
- SQ: 2 stops and 4-5 hours longer flight time but I would arrive in the morning of the same day so more time to explore.

Price is almost the same, so that's not a big issue.

Which one would you go with? I am tempted by SQ given that IST is a zoo and because of the SQ service but I'm reading mixed reports about the comfort of the bed in Singapore's A350.

Any tips?
Old Aug 27, 2017, 8:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
For the same price, I'd almost certainly go SQ. TK's seat is now pretty outdated and as you said, IST is a zoo, well over capacity until they get the new airport finished. I don't pay much mind to bed complaints because in the past I've generally been fine on any flat bed seat, more so I care about the service, food quality, and entertainment. SQ is top notch in those ways and the A350 is a state of the art plane. A330 and 777 are significantly noisier in the cabin.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 5:31 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
If you haven't flown on the A350 go with SQ, the A350 is a real game changer and quiet even by Airbus standards.

I like in different ways both SQ and TK and fly with both but the A350 would win every time for me almost no matter who was flying it.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 5:47 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
You probably want to check out the A350 thread on the SQ forum before taking the plunge. Seem to be a lot of unhappy campers on there.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 12:28 pm

Programs: AY, SQ, EK
Originally Posted by yurtripper
You probably want to check out the A350 thread on the SQ forum before taking the plunge. Seem to be a lot of unhappy campers on there.
But then again, compared to TK...

I think TK are generally ok, but not a keen fan of 2+2+2 open dormitory seating. IST is not convenient either. I like the food on TK and the seat is quite comfortable. And of course for European flights, TK J tends to be good.

I've thought SQ A350 J seat is fine. Perhaps I'm not as sophisticated as some other travellers here.

I would choose SQ. ^
Old Sep 10, 2017, 4:29 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Well, in general, I would vote for SQ too. But in OP's case, I would also consider following:
  1. TK flight has only one stop, hence less chance for misconnect
  2. SQ has not only 2 stops, but apparently 4-5 more hours in air - yuck...
  3. For beating the jet lag, I personally would prefer evening arrival - that way I can go to bed straight and hopefully wake up fresh next morning... Spending the whole day after some 6-8 hours of time difference will be hard!
BTW, I've been on SQ's 350 and the bed is not that bad, but it is definitely narrower in the foot well... Noise wise, 350 beats everything I have been on so far (have not flown 787).

OP, it would be easier to judge, if we knew your exact point of origin and your destination...
Old Sep 16, 2017, 9:47 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
Originally Posted by vbroucek
Well, in general, Noise wise, 350 beats everything I have been on so far (have not flown 787).
The A350 beats the 787 by a country mile on the noise front! The 787 is OK but just not in the same league.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 12:11 am

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
How tall are you? I'd recommend TK unless you're average height or shorter. Unless you're not fussed about sleeping, in which case SQ shades it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.