Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Switching within two Star Alliance Programmes

Old Aug 21, 2017, 2:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA *G, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold

Hi everyone, i was wondering if you could help. I'm based in Singapore and have been using UA's FF program for various reasons, the two main reasons are (a) baggage allowance, (b) free E+ and (c) taxes and surcharges on award tickets are substantially cheaper than for instance using KF.

However, now that UA has passed the SIN-NRT routes to NH and it seems to be ceasing the SIN-HKG route, it looks like it will be more difficult to do the 4 flights on UA, unless I make the effort to tack on potentially 2 domestic flights on our annual US trip and I'm not sure if its worth the effort to do so, instead of just paying for the extra baggage

I'm now considering whether to swap out to another Star Alliance program. KF seems to now be the logical option but I was wondering if anyone had other thoughts on whether for instance, Asiana / ANA / Thai would be better. Most travel is intra-asia (to HK and Japan) and maybe one or two trips to Europe per year.

Also is it possible to status match across - especially with ANA since its supposed to be a UA JV ?

I'm at 30K of the 50K PQM needed so I'm trying to figure this out before the next trip which will net the bulk of the balance 20K PQM needed to requalify for next year, in case its best credited to some where else.

Lastly - assuming I do swap out for another Star Alliance program, lounge access seems to still be possible without my UA number on the ticket because I can just show the card. However, if I dont put my UA number on the ticket (and I fly UA) - presumably I cant access E+ or the additional free bags ? The purpose of not putting the UA number on the ticket would be to credit that flight to the new program.

Thanks !
Old Aug 21, 2017, 3:07 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Question Star Alliance alternatives

You will have no problem using your UA Gold card for the balance of the year - as many of us former Aeroplan Elite customers can attest!
The Star Alliance carriers most recommended when I switched incl. Aegean & TK. Has this changed? One to avoid is AC/AP - the min spending requirements and the min AC metal rules will mean you won't see the inside of another lounge! Have you considered the Priority Pass lounge card?
Old Aug 21, 2017, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by angelstars
...I'm now considering whether to swap out to another Star Alliance program. KF seems to now be the logical option but I was wondering if anyone had other thoughts...
I thought that KF had ceased operations and, therefore, their FF program is no longer around. Or do you mean something different?

By the way, I found your two main reasons (a)..., (b)... and (c) arithmetically interesting!
Old Aug 21, 2017, 8:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by angelstars
Also is it possible to status match across
I know of no *A program that allows matches to another *A program.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 11:42 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by KLouis
I thought that KF had ceased operations and, therefore, their FF program is no longer around. Or do you mean something different?

By the way, I found your two main reasons (a)..., (b)... and (c) arithmetically interesting!

KF in OP's post stands for KrisFlyer, FFP program of SQ...
Old Aug 21, 2017, 11:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I know of no *A program that allows matches to another *A program.
I thought that TK had been doing this, although I don't remember whether they were giving matches or challenges.

IIRC Marriott Plat gives you UA Silver, so that might be a way to get partial benefits but not *A *Gold.

BTW, is the OP anywhere close to MM on UA?
Old Aug 22, 2017, 3:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
TK used to match from almost anyone, however in recent years it's a challenge instead, so you'd need some TK flights to make it work.

I'm going to say that since we're so late in the year right now, it's probably better to continue with UA for this year then switch in January. Some programs are based on calendar year, some are rolling, but because UA is through January, you both wouldn't qualify for Gold in UA and also wouldn't yet qualify for *G level in any other program yet by the time your current UA Gold expires.

As far as other programs go, yes A3 and TK have been popular for ease of *G but they wouldn't otherwise benefit you and aren't very convenient to use for award redemption either.

SQ, NH, and OZ seem to be your next 3 logical choices.

If you can get a credit card which credits to SQ KF as well, it may be worthwhile since I'm sure as you know SQ premium cabins generally can only be booked with KrisFlyer miles.

NH, I don't see it being terribly beneficial as NH Platinum (50K level) requires 25k to be on NH flights and doesn't give much benefit beyond *G from another carrier. Also keep in mind on international itineraries, NH only allows Round Trip or RTW awards, there are no one way awards so miles are a bit harder to use before expiration if not accumulating fast enough.

OZ can be another popular one as it's a 2 year membership year with a fairly low threshold, however if you're just barely getting the 50k a year now, it may take you over 1 year to qualify, so be aware that you'd be without benefits for a short time.

Regardless of which you chose, be sure to look at the types of fares you're usually flying on and their earning rates. For economy Mileage Plus is actually fairly generous, so you may find that what equals 50k a year in Mileage Plus may be 25k or even 12.5k in another program. If you're flying all business class fares on non-JV partners, then you'd probably be way ahead switching almost anywhere else since UA isn't your primary carrier.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 5:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA *G, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
thanks everyone your responses have been very helpful !

i think the most logical course of action is to finish off this year with UA and re-qualify - and then come january, will consider whether staying on or switching to KF or OZ makes sense. if i switch, one plus point for KF would be that discounted SQ flights would still give me credit which i cant get now on UA but will look into OZ abit more.

also yes - my math is quite bad oops !

Last edited by angelstars; Aug 22, 2017 at 5:59 am Reason: forgot to type a sentence

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.