Wiki Posts
Search

star alliance expansion

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2017, 8:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1k aa exec plat
star alliance expansion

after juneyao joining as a connecting partner is it safe to assume there are unlikely to be any other airlines joing star any time soon?
Old May 15, 2017, 7:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
It's never safe to assume anything in the airline world.
Old May 15, 2017, 7:30 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by bryanwallace
after juneyao joining as a connecting partner is it safe to assume there are unlikely to be any other airlines joing star any time soon?
This could equally mean that no additional new connecting partners will be joining *A soon.
Old May 15, 2017, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
You are calling for guessing contest?

Nothing reasonable can be predicted on if/when the next carrier will join.

Relevant at all?
Old May 16, 2017, 1:13 am
Original Poster

thanks.i take it you all have no idea.
Old May 16, 2017, 8:01 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Some *A airline could buy another airline in three months and add that carrier to the alliance. Or, a *A airline could be bought and leave the alliance. It's rare to go too long without a change in *A membership airlines. Some segment of the global airline industry is always in a state of flux.
Old May 16, 2017, 7:57 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by bryanwallace
i take it you all have no idea.
Anyone who actually has an idea would be fired for posting it here.
Old May 17, 2017, 10:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
There haven't been any announcements of any of the 3 alliances expanding anytime soon.

Having said that, watch the Alitalia situation. If they liquidate, you could see LH come in and pick up the dust which may or may not end up in *A.
Old May 18, 2017, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by dvs7310
Having said that, watch the Alitalia situation. If they liquidate, you could see LH come in and pick up the dust which may or may not end up in *A.
Extremely unlikely.

Etihad is already doing everything it can to get LH to take on airberlin.

Lufthansa, anyway, doesn't need to spend any money to get a bigger taste of the Italian market [Buying Alitalia would involve taking on massive debts, and turning the business around which nobody else has managed to do]. The remaining players will simply move to fiill the vacuum when Alitalia fails; LH already have more seats to Italy than any of the other European legacy carriers, and can perhaps beef up their Air Dolomiti subsidiary too.
Old May 19, 2017, 1:01 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by irishguy28
Extremely unlikely.

Etihad is already doing everything it can to get LH to take on airberlin.

Lufthansa, anyway, doesn't need to spend any money to get a bigger taste of the Italian market [Buying Alitalia would involve taking on massive debts, and turning the business around which nobody else has managed to do]. The remaining players will simply move to fiill the vacuum when Alitalia fails; LH already have more seats to Italy than any of the other European legacy carriers, and can perhaps beef up their Air Dolomiti subsidiary too.
I forget where I was reading it, but heard speculation that they were considering picking up the pieces (remaining assets) after it disolved in BK. Therefore debts and labor contracts are gone. Perhaps it is unlikely as I believe it was more speculation than anything, but you're right, I can't imagine anyone going in pre-BK to save it... their debit and labor contracts must go before there is anything at all desirable there.
Old May 19, 2017, 1:06 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I forget where I was reading it, but heard speculation that they were considering picking up the pieces (remaining assets) after it disolved in BK. Therefore debts and labor contracts are gone. Perhaps it is unlikely as I believe it was more speculation than anything, but you're right, I can't imagine anyone going in pre-BK to save it... their debit and labor contracts must go before there is anything at all desirable there.
Labor contracts might be gone, but labor troubles would remain.
Old May 19, 2017, 1:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Indeed, but I'm not sure what "bits" of Alitalia LH would want to buy. There aren't many assets.

A lot of Alitalia's planes are leased - including the entire longhaul fleet of 14 A330s and 11 B777s - and these planes would almost immediately go back to the various lessors. Malaysia Airlines has already put itself in the running to take over 8 widebodies after an Alitalia failure.

This page suggests that at least 23 of AZ's 40 active A320s are leased. However, given that that website has not correctly noted that all of the longhaul fleet is leased, it is likely to be a higher number than that.

This picture shows a line of Malév jets parked on the tarmac at Shannon airport in February of 2012, on a stopover as they were being flown back to the lessor after the failure of that airline. 12 737s flew in convoy from BUD to SNN en-route back to ILFC.

The slots at LIN and FCO would, most likely, return to the airport operators to be doled out again. (AZ's slots at LHR were sold to EY back in 2014/2015, and AZ leases them back from EY. These slots will stay with EY, who may use them themselves, lease them out, or sell them).

Last edited by irishguy28; May 19, 2017 at 2:12 am
Old May 19, 2017, 8:01 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Is it safe to say Star will lose SN soon once it gets folded in Eurowings?

Avianca Argentina probably sooner or later, either joining as a standalone member like Avianca Brazil or merging with AV.

We might also see more connecting partners such as Mango, Olympic, Air India Express, etc.
Old May 21, 2017, 4:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Xiaotung
Is it safe to say Star will lose SN soon once it gets folded in Eurowings?

Avianca Argentina probably sooner or later, either joining as a standalone member like Avianca Brazil or merging with AV.

We might also see more connecting partners such as Mango, Olympic, Air India Express, etc.
Where is the info or statement that Brussels Airlines is being folded into Eurowings?
Old May 21, 2017, 8:43 pm
Original Poster

you get star benefits on eurowings anyway(to limited amount)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.