Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

WAW-LAX in C. Help me decide

Old Apr 25, 2017, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP

Dear UA sages,

I'm using my miles to fly WAW-LAX in business. I have 2 available choices:

1) WAW-LAX nonstop on LOT
2) WAW-DUB-LAX on Aer Lingus.

While the NS seems nice, I am not convinced by LOT service. Further, their planes are not equipped with WIFI. I'm not quite a zen enough person to be able to go that long without being connected!

Certainly, if LX or OS space opens, I'll chose them. So rather than reply with "why not fly XXX"? - yes, I've considered them all. And for now, these are my choices!

Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 26, 2017, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
My only question is how much time will you have at DUB.

Given DUB is a U.S. preclearance POE, even you are not required to clear CTA's immigration and customs, you will be required to go through CBP and TSA-styled security at DUB.

So your timing at DUB is everything.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 12:41 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
LOT, no question.

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...sh-warsaw-lax/

(wifi is not worth going thru DUB - load up movies, take a break from connectivity, etc., you'll be fine)

Last edited by NoLaGent; Apr 26, 2017 at 12:44 am Reason: edited for wifi question-
Old Apr 26, 2017, 1:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by garykung
My only question is how much time will you have at DUB.

Given DUB is a U.S. preclearance POE, even you are not required to clear CTA's immigration and customs, you will be required to go through CBP and TSA-styled security at DUB.

So your timing at DUB is everything.
Good clarifying question. I've got 2.5 hours in DUB. And I have TSE pre-check.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NoLaGent
LOT, no question.

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...sh-warsaw-lax/

(wifi is not worth going thru DUB - load up movies, take a break from connectivity, etc., you'll be fine)
Thanks for the link. But other than showcasing that it's new service, why no question? Not clear what LOT offers (other than a nonstop).
Old Apr 26, 2017, 1:23 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by zrs70
Thanks for the link. But other than showcasing that it's new service, why no question? Not clear what LOT offers (other than a nonstop).
You're welcome. What does EI offer you that's better than a nonstop? They're not exactly CX or SQ...

(ps: Your TSA Pre-check status is irrelevant in either scenario given CBP at your points of clearance)

Last edited by NoLaGent; Apr 26, 2017 at 1:28 am Reason: added TSA comment
Old Apr 26, 2017, 3:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by zrs70
Good clarifying question. I've got 2.5 hours in DUB. And I have TSE pre-check.
You should choose LOT instead.

1. Aer Lingus is not a TSA Pre-Check participating airline. Even TSA runs the security at DUB (which is not the case at all), you will still be subject to full search.

2. You can't pass through CBP until your baggage has been properly transferred to U.S. Preclearance, as you have to identify your baggage for immigration and customs (After you pass through DUB U.S. Preclearance, you are presumed completed the entire process and everything afterward is practically similar to U.S. domestic flights).

Given that you have to be at the gate 30 minute before departure (U.S. Preclearance flights ex-DUB usually departs on time), 2 hours for everything may be tough and it can get messy.

You should only choose Aer Lingus if:

1. You have no checked baggage;

2. You are a U.S. citizen or LPR (if LPR, make sure you did not leave the U.S. for more than 6 months).
Old Apr 26, 2017, 4:19 am

Programs: UA 1K, GE/Nexus, Marriott Gold
IME (somewhat limited - four TATLs on LO and two on EI), LO service is quite good, and actually better than EI's. Plus, it is a direct flight, on a 787 - so LO would be my choice hands down here.

Lack of wifi is a big minus, though - though I am not sure that EI's DUB-WAW leg would have it either.

Finally, I am not sure how much you value a 2.5-hour DUB layover (for me, 8 hours would be nicer).
Old Apr 26, 2017, 7:43 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Please follow this in the Star Alliance forum.

l'etoile
UA moderator
Old Apr 26, 2017, 10:11 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
LOT, no question.
+1 Go non-stop!
Old May 2, 2017, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Why/how is this even a question

LOT J is one of the best in Star Alliance, certainly better than the likes of UA or AC and even LH.
On top of that its a nonstop with flat beds.

Your other alternative is on a budgetish J, and only for part of the journey, while WAW-DUB will be almost 3 hours in a Y seat with the middle blocked out.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.