Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

SF Bay Area to NRT, ANA vs UA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2017, 1:24 am
Original Poster

My partner and I are going on a tour of Japan, and we've started looking at flights. We're paying for Business class. Looking at Expedia, it looks like same old fights I flew back in 2001 when I did this for work. The good old 747-400 flight operated by United, and a 777 operated by ANA. I have never been fond of the food on ANA, but the flights on the 777 were nicer than the 747-400, at least back then.

However, on a whim, I looked at what happens out of SJC. I live in San Jose and I've become somewhat fond of our little airport. And what did I find, but a direct SJC to NRT flight on ANA with a 787! And it's almost $1500 cheaper, although the SFO flights are still within budget.

The pros of that SJC flight are, obviously, a 787! and a much shorter trip to the airport. The cons are: probably no real lounge to speak of in SJC, and the ANA Business Class lounge last time I was in NRT did not impress.

The pros of the SFO flight, assuming we choose the one operated by UA, are that there are real lounges in both SFO and NRT, and it'd be a chance to try the Polaris product albeit without the new fancy seats.

If anyone wants to vote one way or another I'm obviously asking for input.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 3:57 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
I would certainly choose the SJC-NRT 787 non-stop. Cost less and more convenient. No brainer.

SJC has a lounge it is called The Club. It gets decent reviews. Google is your friend.

If you are traveling on *A in J you can use any *A affiliate lounge at NRT. There is more than one NH biz lounge at NRT, and there is also a United Club.

SL
Old Apr 3, 2017, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have yet to find a lounge the world over that I would consider paying $1500 x 2 to enter.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 11:38 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Ummm is this a real question!?
Old Apr 3, 2017, 12:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
I have yet to find a lounge the world over that I would consider paying $1500 x 2 to enter.
Yeah, and I'm a little irrational about lounges.

Not to mention that the UA lounges at SFO suck.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 8:02 pm

Programs: OZ Platinum LifeTime; DL PM; QF Gold; VA Gold; HH Diamond; IHG Diamond
I haven't been in the UA lounges at SFO for about 6 years, so it may be different now. But I would prefer the NH lounge in NRT any time! self-serve food is a bit ho-hum, but they've got a nice made-to-order noodle bar. and the different types of sake available to sample is a unique feature.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 1:37 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
This is an absolute no-brainer in my opinion. $1500 less to fly the better of the two airlines, on a 787 which is infinitely more pleasant in the air than a 747 or even 777.

Lounges would be the last of my concern unless prices were equal. The United Club in Narita sucks equally as bad as the ANA lounge, but you're free to use either one on departure regardless of which of the two airlines you chose to fly. I believe ANA has an arrivals lounge in NRT as well, though I never use it since I'm just getting the train and going home.

The only thing I can agree in the original post is that I also don't like ANAs food. But for $1500 per person and to avoid SFO, you could bring your own lunch on board as well, LOL.

UA's new Polaris product isn't anything special. Until they have the new seats in place, don't go out of your way for it. Once they get the new seats, then it'll feel almost exactly the same as ANA with the exception of poorer service. The Polaris lounge is another story, but neither SFO or NRT will have theirs in place anytime soon.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 4:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by ajeleonard
Ummm is this a real question!?
I agree. The OP lives in San Jose, the fare is USD 1,500 cheaper and the equipment is B787 - what is there to consider? Lounge is immaterial. I'm sure the OP will survive the ANA food - for the savings the OP can have a few very nice dinners in Tokyo.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by dvs7310
This is an absolute no-brainer in my opinion. $1500 less to fly the better of the two airlines, on a 787 which is infinitely more pleasant in the air than a 747 or even 777.

Lounges would be the last of my concern unless prices were equal. The United Club in Narita sucks equally as bad as the ANA lounge, but you're free to use either one on departure regardless of which of the two airlines you chose to fly. I believe ANA has an arrivals lounge in NRT as well, though I never use it since I'm just getting the train and going home.

The only thing I can agree in the original post is that I also don't like ANAs food. But for $1500 per person and to avoid SFO, you could bring your own lunch on board as well, LOL.

UA's new Polaris product isn't anything special. Until they have the new seats in place, don't go out of your way for it. Once they get the new seats, then it'll feel almost exactly the same as ANA with the exception of poorer service. The Polaris lounge is another story, but neither SFO or NRT will have theirs in place anytime soon.
Completely correct!
I would choose ANA even if they where somewhat more expensive.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 7:58 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Unless the UA miles are extremely important to you, take NH out of SJC, unless they use one of their 787's with lounge seats in C. I believe that they use their full flat seats in business on this route, but I suppose a swap could happen.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 12:03 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
I have flown SJC to NRT in NH C (business class) 3 times, and it’s always been in a 787 and the lie-flat seat. I love both the hard and soft product in NH C.

In the past I have flown both UA and NH C from SFO to NRT, but I find flying in and out of SJC to be much more convenient. I live in the south bay, so SJC is much close. Besides, it is a much smaller airport and usually the only international flight that arrives at that time slot. Especially when you are in the front of the plane, you can be in and out of immigration and customs within a matter of a few minutes.

The contract lounge at SJC that NH uses is pretty good, and comparable or slightly better than the crowded United Club at the international terminal in SFO. In Narita, you can use any of the NH or UA lounges.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 1:01 am
Original Poster

For the record, we can afford either flight. We want this trip to be special, and I've flown NH C twice before and was not impressed. It was about 10 years ago but it wasn't that special. I'm more focused on which is the better product, as this is a vacation.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 7:17 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
It appears you have already decided you prefer UA. Why don't you just book on the airline you know you enjoy since it's your vacation? Also if you want the trip to be special have you considered flying in F?
Old Apr 5, 2017, 9:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by JakiChan
I'm more focused on which is the better product, as this is a vacation.
Okay. NH is a better product.

Your 10 year old experience on both airlines really says nothing about what they're like today.

But I would ultimately agree with NewbieRunner, if you want to book UA, you should probably just go ahead and do that.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by JakiChan
For the record, we can afford either flight. We want this trip to be special, and I've flown NH C twice before and was not impressed. It was about 10 years ago but it wasn't that special. I'm more focused on which is the better product, as this is a vacation.
Why do you think flying to SJC means a different lounge in NRT?

Anyway, where did you fly NH in J? If you really want to make it nice then just fly NH in F

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.