Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

STAR's 20th anniversay this year

STAR's 20th anniversay this year

Old May 14, 2017, 9:32 am

Programs: OZ Platinum LifeTime; DL PM; QF Gold; VA Gold; HH Diamond; IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
When did OZ join *A? I'm a bit surprised that the only Asian/Pacific carrier in the beginning was TG.
Asiana's a relatively new airline. I think it started operations around the time of the Seoul summer olympics in 1988, although not related to the olympics. I started flying OZ regularly between SYD-ICN in 2006 and it was a full *A member then.

I'm actually more surprised that SQ wasn't a founding member...

EDIT: Just looked up wiki because I was curious. OZ started in late 1988, and joined *A in 2003.
Old May 14, 2017, 9:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by sol95
Asiana's a relatively new airline. I think it started operations around the time of the Seoul summer olympics in 1988, although not related to the olympics. I started flying OZ regularly between SYD-ICN in 2006 and it was a full *A member then.

I'm actually more surprised that SQ wasn't a founding member...

EDIT: Just looked up wiki because I was curious. OZ started in late 1988, and joined *A in 2003.
SQ had a very early bilateral partnership which lasted until after the DL/NW merger. At that time, there seemed to be better award availability for DL miles than those of its *A partners.

Otherwise, SQ has always seemed to be to be pretty independent of partnerships and alliance agreements. For instance, SQ tends to avoid letting *Golds traveling in coach on partner flights use its lounges, although in SIN, they created a separate and unequal lounge for *Golds.
Old May 16, 2017, 12:19 am

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
For instance, SQ tends to avoid letting *Golds traveling in coach on partner flights use its lounges
That's not true, never been denied by SQ except at SFO.
Old May 16, 2017, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
What an uterrly useless and uninspired promotion!

Why would anyone care about 21 out of >100 million members getting some free miles? I would've assumed *A would run a fun promotion which actually encourages pax to fly more during a certain period of time and try more *A carriers.
Old May 29, 2017, 10:18 pm

Programs: LH Sen, Skyteam Elite
It would be interesting to analyse just how much the *Star has devalued miles accrual rates and service standards across the alliance during 20 years.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 12:09 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Well they are giving out See's Candy at the LAX Lounge and also have decorations up for the 20th anniversary. The chocolate was given out as you entered. You can see the decorations in the video I took of the lounge.

Old Jun 6, 2017, 4:10 pm

Programs: UA
Every lounge I visited in May and June had 20th Anniversary banners. LAX, EWR, SFO, LHR, DUS.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 1:48 am

interesting to see, while many FFP offer 1 million miles prize, SAS offers 4 business class RTW ticket at the competition
Old Jun 12, 2017, 10:11 am

Programs: OZ Platinum LifeTime; DL PM; QF Gold; VA Gold; HH Diamond; IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by thejaredhuang
Every lounge I visited in May and June had 20th Anniversary banners. LAX, EWR, SFO, LHR, DUS.
Maybe I didn't notice them, but I saw nothing at SYD, ICN, FRA, TXL
Old Jul 25, 2017, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Has anyone participated in this ?

Under the T&C, it seems that you are only allowed to join once? But does that mean once per FFP? Knowing that many of us have 'multiple' FFPs..

http://www.staralliance.com/en/mileagemillionaire-TC

I'm wondering if Pride in London constitutes a 'cultural' event...
Or hanging out at a food court in Singapore... Hey, eating is a cultural event in Singapore, don't you think?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.