Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thai Smile

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2017, 11:08 pm
Original Poster

Thai Smile

Do flights operated by Thai Smile with a TG (4-digit) flight number qualify for mileage earning on most *A programs?
Old Mar 5, 2017, 3:51 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
AFAIK, in *A metal counts, so the answer is NO
Old Mar 5, 2017, 7:58 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Originally Posted by carpediem22
Do flights operated by Thai Smile with a TG (4-digit) flight number qualify for mileage earning on most *A programs?
Smile could count, as it's just a sub-brand. It's not listed out separately on the UA website like Edelweiss or Eurowings are. However, a lot of Thai fare buckets get you nothing or heavily reduced accrual- in RDMs and/or PQMs - in MileagePlus.

Basically, a Smile-branded flight will get you what a non-Smile-branded Thai flight gets you. Check the fare bucket carefully before buying.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 8:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by catocony
Smile could count, as it's just a sub-brand.
I do not believe this is accurate.

Basically, a Smile-branded flight will get you what a non-Smile-branded Thai flight gets you.
I also do not believe this is accurate. Also, Eurowings is most definitely listed separately on the UA site and ahs different rules versus LH/LX/SN/OS.

It is more SilkAir than United Express AFAIK.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 1:40 am

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Smile could count, as it's just a sub-brand. It's not listed out separately on the UA website like Edelweiss or Eurowings are. However, a lot of Thai fare buckets get you nothing or heavily reduced accrual- in RDMs and/or PQMs - in MileagePlus.

Basically, a Smile-branded flight will get you what a non-Smile-branded Thai flight gets you. Check the fare bucket carefully before buying.
This was correct until about 2 years ago. THAI Smile now has their own AOC with their own flight number beginning with WE. You will notice the Star logo has been removed from THAI Smile aircraft.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 7:38 am

No star alliance mileage with Thai Smile. If you are Thai ROP miles will accrue with them only.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 12:52 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Is there any reason they want Thai Smile out of *A? I can't imagine this helps them attract passengers.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 5:25 pm

Very true statement..always always check the award charts for fare class and the mileage. Got burned a few years ago and missed Gold by 3,000 miles because last two flights on Swiss Airlines to Europe at the end of the year got me zero PQM's!
Old Mar 8, 2017, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by 1353513636
Is there any reason they want Thai Smile out of *A? I can't imagine this helps them attract passengers.
By now most *A members or, at least most "big" members, have subsidiaries that are not in any sense connected to *A. Even worse, A3, for example, has now almost all of its domestic flights operated by OS (not a member) using an A3 plane.

Even if we don't understand the logic of it, there must be one and it certainly brings them more money, otherwise they would not be doing it.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 11:24 pm

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
As with everything in business, don't give away more benefits/lower price as long as you can get away with it. They have probably calculated that the very small number of pax they will attract (the non TG *G) are not worth the additional expense.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 1:54 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by KLouis
By now most *A members or, at least most "big" members, have subsidiaries that are not in any sense connected to *A. Even worse, A3, for example, has now almost all of its domestic flights operated by OS (not a member) using an A3 plane.

Even if we don't understand the logic of it, there must be one and it certainly brings them more money, otherwise they would not be doing it.
Are you sure? OS is Austrian Airlines and they are full members... Did you mean OA (Olympic Airways)?
Old Mar 11, 2017, 3:11 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
It's Thai that does not want Thai Smile in Star. Thai Smile was created to compete with LCCs and Thai works hard to keep its costs down. Awarding miles on other programs means Thai Smile needs to buy those miles. Access to Thai lounges for Gold members would also be charged to Thai Smile.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 4:23 am

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
Originally Posted by uanj
Access to Thai lounges for Gold members would also be charged to Thai Smile.
No.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 9:13 am

Programs: US-CP; UA-PE; CO-PE; HH;Diamond
Can I book award travel with united mileapge plua

Can I book award seats using united airline miles on Thai smile if I told has a Thai airlines flight number?
Old Mar 22, 2017, 9:24 am

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by gogate99
Can I book award seats using united airline miles on Thai smile if I told has a Thai airlines flight number?
No.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.